Windows explorer crash when using Media Player

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Daveyboy, Sep 25, 2004.

  1. Daveyboy

    Daveyboy Guest

    HI,

    When I use Windows Media Player to watch movies or any kind of video,
    after it starts up - about 5 seconds after - I get a fault window
    saying it must close down -- 2 windows actually -- 1 for explorer and
    1 for the media player Then when I do shut down and close the windows
    I lose the quick launch on the taskbar and must re-organize the quick
    launch functions -- I tried with another viewer (Ace Media Player) and
    the same thing happened...It only happens once in a while on certain
    videos....not all..............for instance I watched the first half
    of TROY, the movie and it went fine..........then when I tried to
    watch the second half all of the above happened..........it didn't do
    it on the first half..............

    ????

    Thanks

    Daveyboy, Sep 25, 2004

  2. Daveyboy

    Unk Guest

    On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 17:39:37 GMT, Daveyboy <> wrote:

    >HI,
    >
    >When I use Windows Media Player to watch movies or any kind of video,
    >after it starts up - about 5 seconds after - I get a fault window
    >saying it must close down -- 2 windows actually -- 1 for explorer and
    >1 for the media player Then when I do shut down and close the windows
    >I lose the quick launch on the taskbar and must re-organize the quick
    >launch functions -- I tried with another viewer (Ace Media Player) and
    >the same thing happened...It only happens once in a while on certain
    >videos....not all..............for instance I watched the first half
    >of TROY, the movie and it went fine..........then when I tried to
    >watch the second half all of the above happened..........it didn't do
    >it on the first half..............
    >
    >????
    >
    >Thanks

    Try WMP version 10
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/en/download/default.asp

    Unk, Sep 25, 2004

  3. Daveyboy

    Daveyboy Guest

    On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 13:50:10 -0400, Unk <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 17:39:37 GMT, Daveyboy <> wrote:
    >
    >>HI,
    >>
    >>When I use Windows Media Player to watch movies or any kind of video,
    >>after it starts up - about 5 seconds after - I get a fault window
    >>saying it must close down -- 2 windows actually -- 1 for explorer and
    >>1 for the media player Then when I do shut down and close the windows
    >>I lose the quick launch on the taskbar and must re-organize the quick
    >>launch functions -- I tried with another viewer (Ace Media Player) and
    >>the same thing happened...It only happens once in a while on certain
    >>videos....not all..............for instance I watched the first half
    >>of TROY, the movie and it went fine..........then when I tried to
    >>watch the second half all of the above happened..........it didn't do
    >>it on the first half..............
    >>
    >>????
    >>
    >>Thanks

    >Try WMP version 10
    >http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/en/download/default.asp

    Tried that --- same thing..............

    Daveyboy, Sep 25, 2004
  4. Daveyboy

    Elco Guest

    "Daveyboy" schreef ...
    > HI,
    >
    > When I use Windows Media Player to watch movies or any kind of video,
    > after it starts up - about 5 seconds after - I get a fault window
    > saying it must close down -- 2 windows actually -- 1 for explorer and
    > 1 for the media player Then when I do shut down and close the windows
    > I lose the quick launch on the taskbar and must re-organize the quick
    > launch functions -- I tried with another viewer (Ace Media Player) and
    > the same thing happened...It only happens once in a while on certain
    > videos....not all..............for instance I watched the first half
    > of TROY, the movie and it went fine..........then when I tried to
    > watch the second half all of the above happened..........it didn't do
    > it on the first half..............
    >
    > ????
    >
    > Thanks

    Did you install the latest updates for your graphic-card and chipset.....??
    --
    grtz......Elco

    Elco, Sep 25, 2004
  5. Daveyboy

    Unk Guest

    On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 19:13:05 GMT, Daveyboy <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 13:50:10 -0400, Unk <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 17:39:37 GMT, Daveyboy <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>HI,
    >>>
    >>>When I use Windows Media Player to watch movies or any kind of video,
    >>>after it starts up - about 5 seconds after - I get a fault window
    >>>saying it must close down -- 2 windows actually -- 1 for explorer and
    >>>1 for the media player Then when I do shut down and close the windows
    >>>I lose the quick launch on the taskbar and must re-organize the quick
    >>>launch functions -- I tried with another viewer (Ace Media Player) and
    >>>the same thing happened...It only happens once in a while on certain
    >>>videos....not all..............for instance I watched the first half
    >>>of TROY, the movie and it went fine..........then when I tried to
    >>>watch the second half all of the above happened..........it didn't do
    >>>it on the first half..............
    >>>
    >>>????
    >>>
    >>>Thanks

    >>Try WMP version 10
    >>http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/en/download/default.asp
    >>

    >Tried that --- same thing..............

    It sounds like one or more of your codecs are corrupt.

    Download Gspot to determine the exact codec needed, then replace that codec
    if you have it, and it causes the error. http://www.headbands.com/gspot/
    You run Gspot, then use it to open the video clip.

    Codec resources:
    Introduction To Finding A Codec For Windows Media Play 9
    http://www.updatexp.com/codec-for-windows-media-player-9.html

    Latest free video and audio codecs
    http://www.free-codecs.com/index.htm

    Codec resources and alternatives:
    http://home.hccnet.nl/h.edskes/finalbuilds.htm

    DivX 3.11:
    http://www.divx-digest.com/software/divxcodec.html

    DivX 5.x
    http://www.divx.com/divx/

    MPEG2 Decoder Package
    http://www.elecard.com/download/

    http://video-codec.8m.com/codecs.htm

    http://www.xvid.org/
    http://www.xvidmovies.com/codec/

    Nimo pack.
    http://www.divx-digest.com/software/nimo_pack.html

    FFDSHOW.
    http://www.divx-digest.com/software/ffdshow.html

    Download the MS-MPEG-4v3 codec fix (Win9x/NT4)
    on: http://www.moviecodec.com/download/codecs.shtml

    Compression Codecs (Huge list)
    http://dshow.narod.ru/

    Download the K-Lite Codec pack. This contrains the most uptodate video and
    audio codecs. http://home.hccnet.nl/h.edskes/mirror.htm

    ACE Mega Codec Pack Professional Edition has practically every codec you
    need or ever wanted. Includes DivX and XviD.
    http://www.sysonline.hu/files/codec/ACEMCP601PRO.exe
    http://sq5.onlinedown.net/down/ACEMCP601PRO.exe

    http://abmefaq.net for all your Multimedia answers

    Audio Codecs Resources