    lbbss Guest

    My windows explorer crashes on a regular basis. Any way to fix it?
    Or do I have to re-install win xp? Thanks.

    lbbss, Jan 1, 2008

  2. lbbss

    philo Guest

    "lbbss" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > My windows explorer crashes on a regular basis. Any way to fix it?
    > Or do I have to re-install win xp? Thanks.

    First thing I'd do is scan the machine for malware.
    then...

    Internet Explorer can be repaired if at any time you've upgraded it to IE6

    Go into the control panel and under add/remove programs

    proceede as if you were going to uninstall IE6...
    then you will be asked if you want to go back to your previous version...or
    repair it.

    opt for the repair...

    Also..if nothing seems to work...
    as a precaution, you should also run a RAM test

    philo, Jan 2, 2008

  3. "lbbss" <> wrote in message
    > My windows explorer crashes on a regular basis. Any way to fix it?
    > Or do I have to re-install win xp? Thanks.

    What do you mean by crashes-- any error messages, etc.? Also, what version
    of Windows?

    Fred C. Dobbs, Jan 2, 2008
  4. lbbss

    lbbss Guest

    Re: Windows Explorer corrupt. Re-install Xp?

    Internet explorer is ok, windows explorer is the problem.

    lbbss, Jan 2, 2008
  5. lbbss

    philo Guest

    "lbbss" <> wrote in message
    > Internet explorer is ok, windows explorer is the problem.

    OOPs I read it wrong sorry

    definatel run the memory diagnostic

    http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

    philo, Jan 2, 2008
  6. lbbss

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Re: Windows Explorer corrupt. Re-install Xp?

    Use my explorer shell fix tool
    http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/shellfix.zip

    pcbutts1, Jan 2, 2008
  7. lbbss

    lbbss Guest

    Re: Windows Explorer corrupt. Re-install Xp?

    win xp sp4. Windows explorer crashes and closes. Its difficult
    to explain, but basically the left pain folders works until you change
    to a new folder and then crashes. Today by murphy's law, trying to
    duplicate the crash but its working fine. It usually always
    crashes, oh well. Any way to update windows explorer or repair with
    the win xp install CD? thanks.

    lbbss, Jan 2, 2008
  8. lbbss

    richard Guest

    Re: Windows Explorer corrupt. Re-install Xp?

    On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 16:37:52 -0800 (PST), lbbss <>
    wrote:

    >win xp sp4. Windows explorer crashes and closes. Its difficult
    >to explain, but basically the left pain folders works until you change
    >to a new folder and then crashes. Today by murphy's law, trying to
    >duplicate the crash but its working fine. It usually always
    >crashes, oh well. Any way to update windows explorer or repair with
    >the win xp install CD? thanks.

    Try a system restore before reinstalling.

    richard, Jan 2, 2008
  9. lbbss

    Leythos Guest

    Re: Windows Explorer corrupt. Re-install Xp?

    In article <flelm0$b9j$>, pcbutts1
    @leythosthestalker.com says...
    > Use my explorer shell fix tool

    Before you download anything from that site, be warned, it also host
    very foul porn created by the poster. Do you really want to trust a foul
    person like butts with your computers security?

    --

    Leythos - (remove 999 to email me)

    Fight exposing kids to porn, complain about sites like PCBUTTS 1.COM
    that create filth and put it on the web for any kid to see: Just take a
    look at some of the FILTH he's created and put on his website:
    http://forums.speedguide.net/archive/index.php/t-223485.html all exposed
    'exposed to kids'.

    Leythos, Jan 2, 2008
  10. lbbss

    lbbss Guest

    Re: Windows Explorer corrupt. Re-install Xp?

    Ok, this is what happens is gives me an error message "Filename,
    directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect." On the first
    line it actually give yous the directory path name. So no matter
    what folder you pick it gives you this message (the path name is
    always different, depending which folder you click on). thanks

    lbbss, Jan 2, 2008
  11. lbbss

    thanatoid Guest

    Re: Windows Explorer corrupt. Re-install Xp?

    "pcbutts1" <> wrote in

    > http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/shellfix.zip

    Simple yet nice and useful file! Easily customizable, too!

    --
    Needless to say, I disdain such idiocies as Xmas and New Year's,
    but I'd thought I'd play along just once...

    thanatoid's New Year's Resolutions.

    01. Stop posting good advice to help newsgroups.
    02. Stop posting stupid advice to help newsgroups.
    03. Drive to see the Grand Canyon and then to Las Vegas, buy a
    gun.
    04. Gamble a little in a desperate attempt to fit in for once.
    05. Hire 5 of the best looking Las Vegas hookers and have a 3
    hour orgy.
    06. Have a king-size eggs and bacon and hashbrowns with onions
    breakfast.
    07. Return to hotel room, put gun in mouth and pull trigger.

    thanatoid, Jan 2, 2008
  12. lbbss

    Dan C Guest

    On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 15:01:57 -0800, lbbss wrote:

    > My windows explorer crashes on a regular basis. Any way to fix it?

    This is normal M$ behavior. Nothing to fix.

    > Or do I have to re-install win xp? Thanks.

    You don't *have* to reinstall XPee. You could install Linux, and forget
    about those problems.

    Dan C, Jan 2, 2008
  13. lbbss

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Re: Windows Explorer corrupt. Re-install Xp?

    And it works ;0)

    pcbutts1, Jan 2, 2008
  14. lbbss

    richard Guest

    Re: Windows Explorer corrupt. Re-install Xp?

    On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 17:08:20 -0800 (PST), lbbss <>
    wrote:

    >Ok, this is what happens is gives me an error message "Filename,
    >directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect." On the first
    >line it actually give yous the directory path name. So no matter
    >what folder you pick it gives you this message (the path name is
    >always different, depending which folder you click on). thanks

    Do you have a printer that is turned off?
    Turn it on and see what happens.
    http://www.brooksnet.com/faq/514-07.html

    From what I've been reading, there could be also another device you
    have connected that the system is expecting to be "on" but is "off".

    If you just leave the message alone for awhile does it go away?

    richard, Jan 2, 2008