    gibberish to me.

    Has anyone encountered this type problem and determined its cause?

    Frank

    ECLiPSE 2002, Aug 16, 2007

  2. ECLiPSE 2002

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 16:04:32 -0400, ECLiPSE 2002 <>
    wrote:

    >When viewing some videos - usually .avi s

    Is it consistently the same video?

    What application are you using to view these videos?

    >I get a message that Windows
    >Explorer has encountered a problem and has to close. I looked at the
    >Error Signature and the lengthy Error Report Contents but it is all
    >gibberish to me.

    Likely it won't be gibberish to some here. Paste the contents here.

    >Has anyone encountered this type problem and determined its cause?

    So, you mentioned Windows Explorer, so we can guess you're using
    windows 95, 98, XP Home, XP Professional, NT, or 2000....

    Evan Platt, Aug 16, 2007

  3. ECLiPSE 2002

    Guest

    ECLiPSE 2002 <> wrote:

    >When viewing some videos - usually .avi s I get a message that Windows
    >Explorer has encountered a problem and has to close. I looked at the
    >Error Signature and the lengthy Error Report Contents but it is all
    >gibberish to me.
    >
    >Has anyone encountered this type problem and determined its cause?

    Ya, it's a problem with AVI and windows explorer, two dlls need to be
    unregistered; shimgvw.dll and shmedia.dll

    http://www.moviecodec.com/topics/3588p1.html explains how.

    --
    Pentagon Paid $998,798 to Ship Two 19-Cent Washers
    www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601070&sid=aY5OQ5xv9HR8

    , Aug 16, 2007
  4. ECLiPSE 2002

    ECLiPSE 2002 Guest

    Many thanks for the several responses and associated input. I can see
    from the comments that I need to be much more specific regarding my
    system and the media players I use. I have WIn XP Home ed. and use
    both VLC ( 0.8.6c) and WIn Media Player (11). My Explorer does not
    show a preview window of the video as some apparently do.

    1. not all avi s cause the shut down of Windows Explorer - just
    certain ones and it occurs with both video players.

    2. when Explorer shuts down I am still able to continue viewing the
    avi if I drag the Windows Explorer pop up box out of the way.

    3. when I click the Close button in the pop up box I am taken back to
    the Desktop which is in the Active Desktop Recovery mode - in order to
    get back to the normal Desktop I have to go to display properties and
    customize the desktop.

    4. the Wndows Explorer error signature box contains the following
    information:
    AppName: explorer.exe AppVer 6.0.2900.3156 ModName xvid.dll
    ModVer 0.0.0.0. Offset 0004dbdd

    5. when I click on the technical information I get hundreds of lines
    of text data in a scrollable box that is not reproducible.

    6. in Event Viewer I think I have found the error event properties
    which reads as follows:

    Faulting application explorer.exe, version 6.0.2900.3156, faulting
    module xvid.dll, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x0004dbdd.

    0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat
    0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c ion Fail
    0010: 75 72 65 20 20 65 78 70 ure exp
    0018: 6c 6f 72 65 72 2e 65 78 lorer.ex
    0020: 65 20 36 2e 30 2e 32 39 e 6.0.29
    0028: 30 30 2e 33 31 35 36 20 00.3156
    0030: 69 6e 20 78 76 69 64 2e in xvid.
    0038: 64 6c 6c 20 30 2e 30 2e dll 0.0.
    0040: 30 2e 30 20 61 74 20 6f 0.0 at o
    0048: 66 66 73 65 74 20 30 30 ffset 00
    0050: 30 34 64 62 64 64 0d 0a 04dbdd..

    7. I have the latest version of Flash player

    8. shimgvw.dll and shmedia.dll mentioned as possible problems appear
    to be associated with the explorer preview window which I do not seem
    to have

    Hopefully the above information will be helpful to those with far more
    expertise than I possess.

    Thanks again for the assistance

    ECLiPSE 2002, Aug 18, 2007