    I have NO local network running.

    As far as I'm concerned, NOTHING but my browser and/or email program
    should be accessing the web.

    Richard Owlett, Sep 10, 2003

  2. Richard Owlett

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Richard Owlett said:

    > Whenever I am online, if I try to search a directory "Windows
    > Explorer" attempts to access the web [ as reported by Zonealarm ].
    >
    > How do I prevent this.
    > I have NO local network running.
    >
    > As far as I'm concerned, NOTHING but my browser and/or email program
    > should be accessing the web.

    Internet Explorer is part of Windows Explorer.

    Brian H¹©, Sep 10, 2003

  3. Brian H¹© wrote:
    > Richard Owlett said:
    >

    >>Whenever I am online, if I try to search a directory "Windows
    >>Explorer" attempts to access the web [ as reported by Zonealarm ].
    >>
    >>How do I prevent this.
    >>I have NO local network running.
    >>
    >>As far as I'm concerned, NOTHING but my browser and/or email program
    >>should be accessing the web.

    > Internet Explorer is part of Windows Explorer.

    Ok, that says why the the problem exists. NOT how to solve it!
    I'm typically searching for a specific or partial filename.
    If the query went to web, there would be so many hits that it would be
    a worlwide DOS attack.

    Even Bill'$ software can't be that broken, can it ?

    Richard Owlett, Sep 10, 2003
  4. Richard Owlett

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Richard Owlett said:

    > Brian H¹© wrote:
    >> Richard Owlett said:
    >>

    >>> Whenever I am online, if I try to search a directory "Windows
    >>> Explorer" attempts to access the web [ as reported by Zonealarm ].
    >>>
    >>> How do I prevent this.
    >>> I have NO local network running.
    >>>
    >>> As far as I'm concerned, NOTHING but my browser and/or email program
    >>> should be accessing the web.

    >> Internet Explorer is part of Windows Explorer.
    >>

    > Ok, that says why the the problem exists. NOT how to solve it!

    What problem?

    Internet Explorer is part of Windows Explorer as the steering wheel is part of
    your car.

    Brian H¹©, Sep 10, 2003
  5. Richard Owlett

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Brian H¹© said:

    > Richard Owlett said:
    >
    >> Brian H¹© wrote:

    >>> Internet Explorer is part of Windows Explorer.
    >>>

    >> Ok, that says why the the problem exists. NOT how to solve it!

    > What problem?
    >
    > Internet Explorer is part of Windows Explorer as the steering wheel is part of
    > your car.
    >
    >> I'm typically searching for a specific or partial filename.
    >> If the query went to web, there would be so many hits that it would be
    >> a worlwide DOS attack.
    >>
    >> Even Bill'$ software can't be that broken, can it ?

    Oh, you are searching on your hard drive.
    Delete the rule for Windows Explorer in Zone Alarm, if it attempts to reconnect
    to the web, deny it.
    Make sure you don't set a rule for server access.

    Brian H¹©, Sep 10, 2003
  6. Brian H¹© wrote:
    > Brian H¹© said:
    >

    >>Richard Owlett said:

    >>>Ok, that says why the the problem exists. NOT how to solve it!

    >>What problem?
    >>
    >>Internet Explorer is part of Windows Explorer as the steering wheel is part of
    >>your car.
    >>

    >>>I'm typically searching for a specific or partial filename.
    >>>If the query went to web, there would be so many hits that it would be
    >>>a worlwide DOS attack.
    >>>
    >>>Even Bill'$ software can't be that broken, can it ?

    > Oh, you are searching on your hard drive.
    > Delete the rule for Windows Explorer in Zone Alarm, if it attempts to reconnect
    > to the web, deny it.
    > Make sure you don't set a rule for server access.

    In other words Windows Explorer is fatally broken.
    I am after all telling it to search a specific drive and usually a
    specific subdirectory.

    Richard Owlett, Sep 10, 2003
  7. Richard Owlett

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Richard Owlett said:

    > Brian H¹© wrote:
    >> Brian H¹© said:

    >>> What problem?
    >>>
    >>> Internet Explorer is part of Windows Explorer as the steering wheel is part
    >>> of your car.

    >> Oh, you are searching on your hard drive.
    >> Delete the rule for Windows Explorer in Zone Alarm, if it attempts to
    >> reconnect to the web, deny it.
    >> Make sure you don't set a rule for server access.
    >>

    > In other words Windows Explorer is fatally broken.
    > I am after all telling it to search a specific drive and usually a
    > specific subdirectory.

    No it's not fatally broken, you have probably allowed it to access the web
    through ZA at some time, and possibly gave it server access too, as you don't
    say what rules and conditions are set in ZA it's hard to second guess.

    Brian H¹©, Sep 10, 2003
  8. Richard Owlett

    °Mike° Guest

    On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 12:24:22 -0500, in
    <>
    Richard Owlett scrawled:

    >Brian H¹© wrote:
    >> Richard Owlett said:
    >>

    >>>Whenever I am online, if I try to search a directory "Windows
    >>>Explorer" attempts to access the web [ as reported by Zonealarm ].
    >>>
    >>>How do I prevent this.
    >>>I have NO local network running.
    >>>
    >>>As far as I'm concerned, NOTHING but my browser and/or email program
    >>>should be accessing the web.

    >> Internet Explorer is part of Windows Explorer.
    >>

    >Ok, that says why the the problem exists. NOT how to solve it!
    >I'm typically searching for a specific or partial filename.
    >If the query went to web, there would be so many hits that it would be
    >a worlwide DOS attack.
    >
    >Even Bill'$ software can't be that broken, can it ?

    Deny Windows Explorer in your firewall rules, and don't
    search your drive from the address bar. Use Find Files.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Sep 10, 2003
  9. Richard Owlett

    pcbutts1 Guest

    It's not broken it's called User Error.

    pcbutts1, Sep 11, 2003
  10. Richard Owlett

    Bay0Wulf Guest

    To me it seems that you are not limiting where your search is going ... for
    instance when I look for something I select "search for files & folders" and
    then select "my computer" or a particular hard drive or folder where I
    believe the file resides.

    I do have an option that allows me to search the internet in the listing but
    I have never actually tried to do that.

    Good Luck

    Bay0Wulf, Sep 11, 2003
  11. pcbutts1 wrote:
    > It's not broken it's called User Error.

    So just what is my user error?
    The events are:
    1. open Windows Explorer
    2. expand tree in folder pane to desired depth
    3. right click on appropriate drive or folder
    4. select "Search..."
    5. the search window comes up
    6. WINDOWS EXPLORER ATTEMPTS TO ACCESS NET AND TRAPPED BY ZONEALARM
    WHICH IS DOING WHAT I PAID IT TO DO!!!

    I'm running WinXP Pro SP1

    Richard Owlett, Sep 11, 2003
  12. Richard Owlett

    °Mike° Guest

    To me, it seems that you don't know how to reply to a
    newsgroup post. IOW, tell the OP, not me.

    On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 11:17:54 GMT, in
    <CRY7b.134595$>
    Bay0Wulf scrawled:

    °Mike°, Sep 11, 2003