    Index sore for the memory was 5.3, I have added another 4GB, total 8GB and
    ran the index score again and still getting a sub score of 5.3 for the
    memory, you think the score would be more?

    Clayton, Aug 2, 2008

  2. Clayton

    Carlos Guest

    Clayton,
    I have 4 gigs, DDR2 800, and my score is 5.9
    What is your memory speed?
    Maybe Vista is penalizing you if you use DDR2 533 or something like that.
    Have you placed your memory sticks so that dual-channel is enabled?
    If you are uncertain, download the tiny freeware CPU-Z
    http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php
    and go to the "Memory" and "SPD" tabs to get all the information you need.
    Dual channel availability can be found in "Memory" tab inside the "Channels
    #" box.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Aug 2, 2008

  3. Clayton

    Kerry Brown Guest

    "Clayton" <> wrote in message
    >I have been running my system with 4GB of memory and my Windows Experience
    >Index sore for the memory was 5.3, I have added another 4GB, total 8GB and
    >ran the index score again and still getting a sub score of 5.3 for the
    >memory, you think the score would be more?

    Once you have more than 1.5 GB of available RAM the score for the RAM is
    based on the speed of the RAM not the amount of RAM. Below 1.5 GB of
    available RAM the amount of RAM is taken into consideration as well as the
    speed.

    http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/windowsvista/pages/458117.aspx

    Scroll down to "The memory score" in the above link.

    --
    Kerry Brown
    http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

    Kerry Brown, Aug 2, 2008
  4. As Kerry says, the score won't go up based on how much you have, once you're
    past the 1.5 GB mark. And that's pretty close to right for a normal user,
    maybe a bit low. Realistically, you won't see a speed increase in Vista
    beyond that point, unless you're the kind of user that does a LOT of things
    concurrently. Then the extra RAM can make a big difference.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 3, 2008
  5. Beyond what has been said, if you keep the system as it is your score will
    be going down as new and more potent hardware is added to the list - so this
    is not a benchmark score. The index was originally made to tell you what you
    might expect of having Vista installed on your machine, or what upgrades you
    might want to consider for it. Some hardware would be more sensible to use
    than something else, and at some point there would be a threshold when it
    wouldn't make any sense at all.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Aug 3, 2008
  6. Clayton

    Clayton Guest

    Carlos, I have DDR2 667MHz ECC, cpuid shows as dual channel

    Clayton, Aug 3, 2008
  7. Clayton

    Carlos Guest

    Then it should be 5.9.
    I previously had DDR2 667 and the score was 5.9
    Maybe you should check the actual memory timings in BIOS.
    The SPD tab shows you the memory manufacturer recommendations.
    The Memory tab shows you your actual timings.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Aug 3, 2008
  8. Clayton

    Clayton Guest

    Memory timings in Everest shows
    @333 MHz 5-5-5-15 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS) / 20-43-3-5-3-3
    (RC-RFC-RRD-WR-WTR-RTP)

    My Dell Precision 390 doesn't show any SPD information in the BIOS

    Clayton, Aug 3, 2008
  9. Clayton

    Carlos Guest

    Clayton,
    Sorry for the misunderstanding.
    What I suggested is that you should compare CPU-Z readings in both the SPD
    and Memory tabs.
    Maybe the bios has assigned (Memory tab) slower timings that those suggested
    by the memory manufacturer (SPD tab).
    Carlos

    Carlos, Aug 3, 2008