Windows error 'page fault in non paged area' and graphics cards, anyone help ?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Ben, Apr 25, 2005.

  1. Ben

    Ben Guest

    I've been getting the error after I upgraded my memory and cpu, after the
    bsod, and reset, windows sends off it's error report and tell me that it's a
    driver problem, but can't tell me which driver.... so really useful.
    The system can be made to error when running something graphically
    intensive, I've a screen save that'll knock it over in 2 to 10 mins or it'll
    fall over randomly in normal use..
    I've swapped out the graphics card (geforce 52000 )with an old radeon 7000.
    Cleaned out the old drivers in safe mode, restarted and installed the latest
    rad drivers and run the same screen save that made it fall over before, and
    still falls over ??

    Now I'm getting lost here, if it's a bad driver (and it was the latest
    geforce drivers I was using before), how can I be getting the same error now
    ? the screen savers running from memory (at least there's no hd active
    going on that's I can see) so I don't see what driver can be conflicting
    with the graphics ?
    I've run memtest 86 on the mem and that's fine.

    System:
    NF7s
    2x 512 meg corsair
    amd 3200

    Idle temp 35, load 42
    bios in failsafe mode, all voltages as default.
    Clean install of XP with sp 1, latest nforce drives.

    Ben
    Ben, Apr 25, 2005

  2. Ben

    old john Guest

    check in Administrative Tools\Events to see what you can find, also you
    could run Dr Watson (system32 folder) and check the log, might give you some
    clues. best wishes..J

    old john, Apr 25, 2005

  3. Ben

    Ben Guest

    "old john" <> wrote in message
    > check in Administrative Tools\Events to see what you can find, also you
    > could run Dr Watson (system32 folder) and check the log, might give you

    some
    > clues. best wishes..J

    Many thanks, that gives me some info, but I've not a clue what it means...

    over the last 24 hours, 2 of these:
    Hanging application rundll32.exe, version 5.1.2600.0,

    hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

    and 2 of these ?

    Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine
    CoCreateInstance. hr = 0x80040206.

    Can anyone please tell me what that means ? the m$ system tell that the
    second one is an error in com+

    Help !!

    Ben
    Ben, Apr 25, 2005
  4. Ben

    old john Guest

    two more options now, you can either `google` for answers, or go to
    `microsofts` knowledge base, type in the errors,(one at a time ), and see if
    you can find out more. best wishes..J

    old john, Apr 25, 2005
  5. Ben

    °Mike° Guest

    In <426d0a2e$0$26344$>,
    Ben took 30 lines to utter:

    >I've been getting the error after I upgraded my memory and cpu, after the
    >bsod, and reset, windows sends off it's error report and tell me that it's a
    >driver problem, but can't tell me which driver.... so really useful.

    The non-paged area of RAM should NOT be used by external drivers -- it
    is used exclusively by core system code -- so that doesn't seem to be likely.

    <snip>

    >I've run memtest 86 on the mem and that's fine.

    That does not *prove* that your RAM is fine. What is likely, here, is that
    there is a serious problem with either: RAM, damaged hard drive (which
    can cause faulty code), or a rogue utility (Norton/Symantec?) putting code
    where it should not be.

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Apr 25, 2005
  6. Ben

    FML Guest

    Ben spewed forth...

    > I've been getting the error after I upgraded my memory and cpu, after
    > the bsod, and reset, windows sends off it's error report and tell me
    > that it's a driver problem, but can't tell me which driver.... so
    > really useful. The system can be made to error when running something
    > graphically intensive, I've a screen save that'll knock it over in 2
    > to 10 mins or it'll fall over randomly in normal use..
    > I've swapped out the graphics card (geforce 52000 )with an old radeon
    > 7000. Cleaned out the old drivers in safe mode, restarted and
    > installed the latest rad drivers and run the same screen save that
    > made it fall over before, and still falls over ??
    >
    > Now I'm getting lost here, if it's a bad driver (and it was the latest
    > geforce drivers I was using before), how can I be getting the same
    > error now ? the screen savers running from memory (at least there's
    > no hd active going on that's I can see) so I don't see what driver can
    > be conflicting with the graphics ?
    > I've run memtest 86 on the mem and that's fine.
    >
    > System:
    > NF7s
    > 2x 512 meg corsair
    > amd 3200
    >
    > Idle temp 35, load 42
    > bios in failsafe mode, all voltages as default.
    > Clean install of XP with sp 1, latest nforce drives.
    >
    > Ben

    Practically every time I've seen this error it was a RAM issue.

    Either bad RAM modules or the RAM wasn't seated properly in the slot.

    The first thing I'd try is to reseat the RAM. Make sure they click into
    place and fit snugly. If that doesn't work, try swapping the RAM modules
    with some "known-good" modules and see what happens.

    HTH
    FML, Apr 25, 2005
  7. Ben

    Ben Guest

    "FML" <> wrote in message
    > Ben spewed forth...
    >
    > > I've been getting the error after I upgraded my memory and cpu, after
    > > the bsod, and reset, windows sends off it's error report and tell me
    > > that it's a driver problem, but can't tell me which driver.... so
    > > really useful. The system can be made to error when running something
    > > graphically intensive, I've a screen save that'll knock it over in 2
    > > to 10 mins or it'll fall over randomly in normal use..
    > > I've swapped out the graphics card (geforce 52000 )with an old radeon
    > > 7000. Cleaned out the old drivers in safe mode, restarted and
    > > installed the latest rad drivers and run the same screen save that
    > > made it fall over before, and still falls over ??
    > >
    > > Now I'm getting lost here, if it's a bad driver (and it was the latest
    > > geforce drivers I was using before), how can I be getting the same
    > > error now ? the screen savers running from memory (at least there's
    > > no hd active going on that's I can see) so I don't see what driver can
    > > be conflicting with the graphics ?
    > > I've run memtest 86 on the mem and that's fine.
    > >
    > > System:
    > > NF7s
    > > 2x 512 meg corsair
    > > amd 3200
    > >
    > > Idle temp 35, load 42
    > > bios in failsafe mode, all voltages as default.
    > > Clean install of XP with sp 1, latest nforce drives.
    > >
    > > Ben
    > >

    > Practically every time I've seen this error it was a RAM issue.
    >
    > Either bad RAM modules or the RAM wasn't seated properly in the slot.
    >
    > The first thing I'd try is to reseat the RAM. Make sure they click into
    > place and fit snugly. If that doesn't work, try swapping the RAM modules
    > with some "known-good" modules and see what happens.
    >
    > HTH

    Seems to point to ram, but I've 2 strips and it doesn't matter if I put both
    in or just 1 (and I've tried 1 strip in slots 1 and 3 and both strips in
    slots 2 and 3 for dual mode or slots 1 and 2 for normal mode) it still falls
    over with the same error ?

    Whets the chance of getting 2 strips (in a 1 gig kit) and having them both
    faulty in the same way ?

    Ben
    Ben, Apr 26, 2005
  8. Ben

    Ben Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > In <426d0a2e$0$26344$>,
    > Ben took 30 lines to utter:
    >
    > >I've been getting the error after I upgraded my memory and cpu, after the
    > >bsod, and reset, windows sends off it's error report and tell me that

    it's a
    > >driver problem, but can't tell me which driver.... so really useful.

    > The non-paged area of RAM should NOT be used by external drivers -- it
    > is used exclusively by core system code -- so that doesn't seem to be

    likely.

    > <snip>
    >
    > >I've run memtest 86 on the mem and that's fine.

    > That does not *prove* that your RAM is fine. What is likely, here, is

    that
    > there is a serious problem with either: RAM, damaged hard drive (which
    > can cause faulty code), or a rogue utility (Norton/Symantec?) putting code
    > where it should not be.

    Thanks for that. I've reinstalled XP on a spare 15 gig ide and it still
    falls over, so going on your thoughts above would seem to point to memory...
    but, I've run with just one strip in slot 1 or 3, and with both strips in 2
    and 3 or in 1 and 2 and it still falls over ?
    There are no other programme even loaded. It's a clean reformatted drive
    with just Xp (sp1) no other devices attached apart from one CD drive to load
    xp.
    Could this error be down to the cpu ? but that give random errors wouldn't
    it ?

    Ben
    Ben, Apr 26, 2005
  9. Ben

    Morgan Guest

    On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 10:10:04 +0100, "Ben"
    <zenNOSPAM9643@NO_S_PA_AM-zen.co.uk> wrote:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> In <426d0a2e$0$26344$>,
    >> Ben took 30 lines to utter:
    >>
    >> >I've been getting the error after I upgraded my memory and cpu, after the
    >> >bsod, and reset, windows sends off it's error report and tell me that

    >it's a
    >> >driver problem, but can't tell me which driver.... so really useful.

    >Ben

    I've had that same error caused by a corrupt system file. Chkdsk
    fixed it.
    Morgan, Apr 26, 2005
  10. Ben

    °Mike° Guest

    In <426e0551$0$26345$>,
    Ben took 39 lines to utter:

    <snip>

    >Thanks for that. I've reinstalled XP on a spare 15 gig ide and it still
    >falls over, so going on your thoughts above would seem to point to memory...
    >but, I've run with just one strip in slot 1 or 3, and with both strips in 2
    >and 3 or in 1 and 2 and it still falls over ?
    >There are no other programme even loaded. It's a clean reformatted drive
    >with just Xp (sp1) no other devices attached apart from one CD drive to load
    >xp.
    >Could this error be down to the cpu ? but that give random errors wouldn't
    >it ?
    >
    >Ben

    You need to rule out the RAM first -- you've already ruled out the
    hard drive (presumably) -- it's always possible that BOTH strips
    are bad.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Apr 26, 2005
  11. Ben

    old john Guest

    hi ben, for what it`s worth when i play `computer upgrade` i do one thing at
    a time. 1.upgrade the cpu and see if it works. 2.if it does then up the ram.
    see what i mean ?. one change at a time to show errors.
    hope this helps. best wishes..J

    old john, Apr 26, 2005
  12. Ben

    Ben Guest

    "old john" <> wrote in message
    > hi ben, for what it`s worth when i play `computer upgrade` i do one thing

    at
    > a time. 1.upgrade the cpu and see if it works. 2.if it does then up the

    ram.
    > see what i mean ?. one change at a time to show errors.
    > hope this helps. best wishes..J

    Yeah, so di I (usally). I had a mate who needed some 'bits' in hurry so I
    gave him mine and upgraded... seemed a good idra at the time..
    Ben, Apr 27, 2005