    Windows XP puts up this dumb error message all the time when I try to
    move folders, even though no application is using the file or folder.
    How do I stop the messages appearing?

    SchoolTech, Apr 9, 2006

  2. SchoolTech

    Jerry Guest

    Re: Windows error message "Cannot remove file or folder. It is beingusedby another person or program"

    SchoolTech wrote:
    > Windows XP puts up this dumb error message all the time when I try to
    > move folders, even though no application is using the file or folder.
    > How do I stop the messages appearing?

    Search for the recent thread *ntfs permissions*.

    Jerry, Apr 9, 2006

  3. Re: Windows error message "Cannot remove file or folder. It is being used by another person or program"

    On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 16:15:24 +1200, SchoolTech wrote:

    > Windows XP puts up this dumb error message all the time when I try to
    > move folders, even though no application is using the file or folder.
    > How do I stop the messages appearing?

    Have you tried all the normal solutions like rebooting?

    Have you tried removing the spyware, viruses and worms?

    Have you removed the root-kit?

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    --
    Martin Taylor, GM of platform strategy at Microsoft: "We found
    that the Linux environment provided about 15 percent more end

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Apr 9, 2006
  4. Re: Windows error message "Cannot remove file or folder. It is being used by another person or program"

    In article <44388a5d$>, says...
    > Windows XP puts up this dumb error message all the time when I try to
    > move folders, even though no application is using the file or folder.
    > How do I stop the messages appearing?

    solution 1 (usually works) - start task manager, kill explorer, restart
    explorer, do your file operation

    solution 2 (vague) - I have read about a bug in XP whereby it will give this
    error message if/when there is a defective avi file in the directory concerned.
    You may have to google for this. I found a '3rd party patch' for this but it
    has not solved the problem entirely (back to solution 1).

    h.t.h. -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Apr 9, 2006
  5. Re: Windows error message "Cannot remove file or folder. It is being used by another person or program"

    wogers nemesis, Apr 10, 2006