    Thanks
    Paul
    , Nov 20, 2006

  2. John Barnes Guest

    Not an answer to your question, but be aware you will have to buy the full
    version of the 64-bit product to move to Vista64.

    John Barnes, Nov 20, 2006

  3. mikeyhsd Guest

    personally have had NO luck with easy transfer even going between same versions.
    easy transfer does not work disk to disk. why they crippled it , have no idea.

    you might ask further in a public vista group.
    they are available on the ms servers.

    mikeyhsd, Nov 20, 2006
  4. John Barnes wrote:

    >Not an answer to your question, but be aware you will have to buy the full
    >version of the 64-bit product to move to Vista64.

    Why? XP is a qualifying product for Vista Upgrades. Microsoft haven't
    published exact SKUs yet, but I've seen nothing to indicate that there'll
    be different qualifying products for 32-bit and 64-bit Vista editions.

    --
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
    ---------------------------------------
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], Nov 20, 2006
  5. Bioboffin Guest

    Steve Foster [SBS MVP] wrote:
    > John Barnes wrote:
    >
    >> Not an answer to your question, but be aware you will have to buy
    >> the full version of the 64-bit product to move to Vista64.

    > Why? XP is a qualifying product for Vista Upgrades. Microsoft haven't
    > published exact SKUs yet, but I've seen nothing to indicate that
    > there'll be different qualifying products for 32-bit and 64-bit Vista
    > editions.

    It was my understanding that both 32 bit and 64 bit OS would be included in
    each purchase (as in the the RCs and Betas), because MS believes that most
    people will convert from 32 bit to 64 bit during the life of the OS.

    ref:

    http://www.winsupersite.com/faq/vista.asp
    "Windows Vista FAQ
    Q: Is Windows Vista a 32-bit or 64-bit operating system?

    A: Virtually every Windows Vista product edition (with the exception of
    Starter) ships with both 32-bit (x86) and 64-bit (x64) versions on the same
    DVD. Microsoft expects the computer buying public to switch to x64 during
    Vista's lifetime. There will not be an Itanium version of Windows Vista."

    --

    John
    Bioboffin, Nov 20, 2006
  6. John Barnes Guest

    My interpretation of response from Darrell

    Hello John,
    You do have to be inside the same platform of the OS to run setup. So you
    cannot run 64-bit setup from within a 32-bit OS nor can you run 32-bit
    setup from within a 64-bit OS
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT

    John Barnes, Nov 20, 2006
  7. Bioboffin Guest

    But you can do a clean install of the 64bit upgrade version using a 32bit
    qualifying product in the DVD drive, can you not?

    --

    John

    Bioboffin, Nov 20, 2006
  8. Hello.
    I have not seen any indication that x86 and x64 will ship in the same box.
    I have not seen DVD's or images that contain both x86 and X64.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "Bioboffin" <>
    <Subject: Re: Windows Easy Transfer 32bit XP to 64 bit Vista
    <Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 16:43:12 -0000
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
    <Steve Foster [SBS MVP] wrote:
    <> John Barnes wrote:
    <>
[...]
    <A: Virtually every Windows Vista product edition (with the exception of
    <Starter) ships with both 32-bit (x86) and 64-bit (x64) versions on the
    same
    <DVD. Microsoft expects the computer buying public to switch to x64 during
    <Vista's lifetime. There will not be an Itanium version of Windows Vista."
    <
    <--
    <
    <John
    <
    <
    <
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Nov 20, 2006
  9. Hello,
    You have to be inside the OS to run setup if you have an upgrade product
    key. You cannot boot from the DVD with an Upgrade product key and do a
    clean install or upgrade.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "Bioboffin" <>
    <Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 17:01:20 -0000
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
    <John Barnes wrote:
    <> My interpretation of response from Darrell
    <>
    <> Hello John,
    <> You do have to be inside the same platform of the OS to run setup. So
    you
    <> cannot run 64-bit setup from within a 32-bit OS nor can you
    <> run 32-bit setup from within a 64-bit OS
    <> Thanks,
    <> Darrell Gorter[MSFT
    <>
    <>
    <> "Steve Foster [SBS MVP]" <> wrote in message
    <> news:...
    <>>
    <>> ---------------------------------------
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Nov 20, 2006
  10. Incorrect interpretation. XP 32bit should still qualify for upgrade pricing.
    You just can't start the upgrade from within XP, only from the DVD boot. And
    it's a fresh install in any case, regardless of the originating OS. Vista
    x64 is ALWAYS a fresh install (except from a supported previous build of the
    beta.)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 20, 2006
  11. I know of no technical reason you should have a problem, though I haven't
    been able to test it - I don't have any 32bit versions of XP left.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 20, 2006
  12. Hello Charlie,
    Only there is no way to do a compliance check from a DVD boot. You can
    only do compliance check from with-in an existing OS.
    There isn't an option to insert a cd\dvd of the legacy operating system to
    meet the check of the legacy OS.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "Charlie Russel - MVP" <>
    <Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 10:56:07 -0800
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
[...]
    <>> John Barnes wrote:
    <>>
    <>>>Not an answer to your question, but be aware you will have to buy the
    <>>>full version of the 64-bit product to move to Vista64.
    <>>
    <>> Why? XP is a qualifying product for Vista Upgrades. Microsoft haven't
    <>> published exact SKUs yet, but I've seen nothing to indicate that
    there'll
    <>> be different qualifying products for 32-bit and 64-bit Vista editions.
    <>>
    <>> --
    <>> Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
    <>> ---------------------------------------
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Nov 20, 2006
  13. Bioboffin Guest

    Thanks for your two replies (i.e. 64bit Vista and 32bit Vista not in the
    same box and the reply below).

    If these are true, I will be putting off my purchase until I am certain that
    all the 64bit drivers are available. There is no way I am going to buy a
    32bit Vista for the next couple of years, and then buy a separate 64 bit
    Vista later. (I did that for XP!).

    I think MS may be about to shoot itself in the foot again...

    --

    John.

    Bioboffin, Nov 20, 2006
  14. John Barnes wrote:

    >My interpretation of response from Darrell
    >
    >Hello John,
    >You do have to be inside the same platform of the OS to run setup. So you
    >cannot run 64-bit setup from within a 32-bit OS nor can you run 32-bit
    >setup from within a 64-bit OS

    That's a technical issue, and has absolutely no bearing on product
    availability or requirements.

    --
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
    ---------------------------------------
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], Nov 20, 2006
  15. John Barnes Guest

    Technical it may be, but if you have to be in the qualifying os (no more
    insert the cd) to install the upgrade version and you can't install the
    64-bit from the X86 os, you can't use an upgrade version to shift from 32 to
    64 bit. My interpretation .

    John Barnes, Nov 20, 2006
  16. John Barnes wrote:

    >Technical it may be, but if you have to be in the qualifying os (no more
    >insert the cd) to install the upgrade version and you can't install the
    >64-bit from the X86 os, you can't use an upgrade version to shift from 32
    >to 64 bit. My interpretation .

    Your interpretation is wrong.

    The logical consequence of a technical block to a legal process is that
    Microsoft will get a lot of irate support calls.

    >Hello,
    >You have to be inside the OS to run setup if you have an upgrade product
    >key. You cannot boot from the DVD with an Upgrade product key and do a
    >clean install or upgrade.
    >Thanks,
    >Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    From http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/upgradeinfo.mspx:

    "If you are currently using Windows 2000 Professional or Windows XP
    Professional x64, you are eligible for an upgrade copy to a corresponding
    or better edition of Windows Vista, but a clean install is required."

    You can't get much plainer than that (especially since this is Microsoft
    we're dealing with).

    --
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
    ---------------------------------------
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], Nov 21, 2006
  17. Hello Steve,
    What part are you poresumming to be incorrect?
    64-bit setup does not run inside a 32-bit OS.
    If you have an upgrade product key, you have to be inside an existing OS to
    run setup and use that product key.

    You cannot boot to the DVD to run setup and use an upgrade product key.
    So if you have a 32-bit version of Windows, there isn't a way to recognize
    the 32-bit version as meeting any sort of compliance check.
    So the upgrade version of X64 Windows would only work from with-in an
    existing installation of Windows XP x64 edition. Since upgrade is
    available, you could do a clean install at that point.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "Steve Foster [SBS MVP]" <>
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 17:33:50 -0800
    <
    <
    <From http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/upgradeinfo.mspx:
    <
    <---------------------------------------
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Nov 21, 2006
  18. Guest

    Charlie,

    Thanks for the response, I'll do some more research as I really want my
    data to be safe :)

    As for the others discussing the upgrade of x86 to x64, I have the RTM
    versions (x86 and x64 from MSDN), and can confirm that you cannot put
    the x64 version in the x86 version of XP, the setup files are 64bit and
    so won't work. You have to boot from the CD for x64 (hence my reasons
    for doing a clean install).

    I have developer licences for Vista, so I don't need to upgrade, and
    can't confirm if the x64 version will ask for the XP CD to do the
    upgrade. I will post back here if I find out any information when I do
    the upgrade.

    Thanks for your help.

    Regards
    Paul Veitch

    Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
    > I know of no technical reason you should have a problem, though I haven't
    > been able to test it - I don't have any 32bit versions of XP left.
    >
    > --
    > Charlie.
    > http://msmvps.com/xperts64
    , Nov 21, 2006
  19. Guest

    John,

    Thanks for getting back to me. I actually have an MSDN developer
    licence for the installation, so won't be upgrading.

    Thanks.
    Paul Veitch

  20. John Barnes Guest

    Enough said on the subject. I don't know why anyone would think Microsoft
    owed them a free path to a 64-bit os. Anyone wanting to make the switch
    should do so at the time they switch to Vista and with a full product.

    John Barnes, Nov 21, 2006