    How can I get past the Windows region settings?

    BB
    NZ

    BB, Mar 5, 2005

  2. In article <422a29a2$>, says...
    > Hi,
    >
    > both my DVD-ROM drives are firmware hacked to be region free, yet a
    > reinstall of XP Pro has them both on region 2 with only one more change left
    > each.
    >
    > How can I get past the Windows region settings?
    >
    > BB
    > NZ

    AnyDVD. Piece of software that acts as a DVD driver. Makes the DVD look
    region free for Windows and player software and does the decoding. You
    can either load it automatically at start up or just have an icon on the
    desktop and start it on demand which is what I do since I don't hire
    DVDs all that often (but when I do they tend to be all sorts of regions
    encoded because I like 'festival movies' over Hollywood drivel).

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Mar 5, 2005

  3. BB

    BB Guest

    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > both my DVD-ROM drives are firmware hacked to be region free, yet a
    > > reinstall of XP Pro has them both on region 2 with only one more change

    left
    > > each.
    > >
    > > How can I get past the Windows region settings?
    > >
    > > BB
    > > NZ

    > AnyDVD. Piece of software that acts as a DVD driver. Makes the DVD look
    > region free for Windows and player software and does the decoding. You
    > can either load it automatically at start up or just have an icon on the
    > desktop and start it on demand which is what I do since I don't hire
    > DVDs all that often (but when I do they tend to be all sorts of regions
    > encoded because I like 'festival movies' over Hollywood drivel).

    Thanks for that, but I use Ulead DVD Player for watching movies and that
    does not worry about regions anyway. I have DVD Genie just in case...

    For backups I'm using DVD Shrink, and before my rebuild it never asked about
    regions prior to a backup job. Now it does, so I'm thinking it must be a
    registry tweak or something that I have forgotten about - it's been 18
    months since I rebuilt the OS on this machine.

    BB
    NZ

    BB, Mar 5, 2005
  4. BB

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "BB" <> wrote in news:422a29a2$:

    > Hi,
    >
    > both my DVD-ROM drives are firmware hacked to be region free, yet a
    > reinstall of XP Pro has them both on region 2 with only one more
    > change left each.
    >
    > How can I get past the Windows region settings?
    >
    > BB
    > NZ

    Regions are set in hardware and software, you did half of what you need to
    do.
    See http://www.inmatrix.com/genie/
    and
    http://www.doom9.net/

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Mar 5, 2005
  5. BB

    Krazy Bob Guest

    "BB" <> wrote in message news:422a29a2$...
    > Hi,
    >
    > both my DVD-ROM drives are firmware hacked to be region free, yet a
    > reinstall of XP Pro has them both on region 2 with only one more change
    > left
    > each.
    >
    > How can I get past the Windows region settings?
    >
    > BB
    > NZ

    I also use anyDVD. great application. I use Clone DVD to back up all dvd's i
    have legally bought then, Get a blank dvd-r disk and burn it on to that, so
    it creates a perfect 1 to 1 copy. Compression rate is good.

    Hardly any lack of quality that i can see.

    Krazy Bob, Mar 5, 2005
  6. I second ANYDVD as mentioned by others. It is absolutely ingenious.

    Andrei Sharko, Mar 6, 2005
  7. BB

    Guest

    On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 12:45:28 +1300, wrote:

    > I also use anyDVD. great application. I use Clone DVD to back up all dvd's i
    > have legally bought then, Get a blank dvd-r disk and burn it on to that, so
    > it creates a perfect 1 to 1 copy. Compression rate is good.
    >
    > Hardly any lack of quality that i can see.

    Surely if it is a "perfect 1:1 copy" then there should be no compression
    of the data on the DVD other than what was done to encode the DVD in the
    first place.

    Divine

    --
    Computers are like air conditioners -- they stop working properly if you
    open WINDOWS

    , Mar 6, 2005
  8. BB

    Gordon Guest

    On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 15:22:23 +1300, wrote:

    > Surely if it is a "perfect 1:1 copy" then there should be no compression
    > of the data on the DVD other than what was done to encode the DVD in the
    > first place.

    So there *is* compression yes? ;-)

    Gordon, Mar 6, 2005
  9. BB

    newsreader Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 15:22:23 +1300, wrote:
    >
    > > Surely if it is a "perfect 1:1 copy" then there should be no compression
    > > of the data on the DVD other than what was done to encode the DVD in the
    > > first place.

    > So there *is* compression yes? ;-)

    Depends on the size of the source.

    CloneDVD scans the original and if it fits on the blank media without
    recompression, it will record it as is.

    If it doesn't fit it re-compresses to make it fit.

    Most of the time the recompression is un-noticeable, unless you are trying
    to squeeze a lot of content onto the blank; eg. multiple soundtracks, lots
    of extras etc.

    newsreader, Mar 6, 2005