Windows Domain login step

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Paolo, Mar 8, 2007.

  1. Paolo

    Paolo Guest

    Hi,
    I tryed to understand the steps involved in a windows domain login,
    from the machine startup to the desktop loading.
    I read a lot of articles and I try to synthetize the procedure as
    follow:
    1) turn on the computer
    2) Machine authentication with, for example, EAP-TLS. This step
    involve the computer (supplicant), an authenticator (i.e. the Access
    point if we are in a WiFi environment or a switch if we are in a wired
    environment) and a RADIUS Server (IAS in Windows Domain)
    3) Once the machine is authenticated, the machine starts a DHCP
    request to obtain an IP address. The DHCP Server reply and the
    computer obtain his IP address
    4) The GINA is displayed and the user prompt in his username and
    password
    5) User authentication with, for example EAP-MSCHAP v2. This step
    involve the computer (supplicant), an authenticator (i.e. the Access
    point if we are in a WiFi environment or a switch if we are in a wired
    environment) and a RADIUS Server (IAS in Windows Domain)
    6) Once the user is authenticated he can request a domain service,
    like a printer.
    7) A Kerberos session begins. The client send to Domain Controller
    (where reside KDC (Key Distribution Center) and TGS (Ticket Granting
    Service)) a request to obtain the ticket for the Printer Server.
    8) At the end of Kerberos session, the deskotp is loaded.

    Is that procedure correct? Can someone help me to understand the
    correct order?
    Thanks (and sorry for my english)!!!

    Paolo

    Paolo, Mar 8, 2007