    All the computers are running McAfee Anti-Virus software which is updated
    daily.

    Any ideas? TIA

    Neil, Apr 20, 2004

  2. Neil

    dkg_ctc Guest

    http://www.pchell.com/support/tildefile.shtml

    dkg_ctc, Apr 20, 2004

  3. On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 18:02:01 +0100, "Neil" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi guys,
    >
    >I have noticed that a few of our work computers have recently started to
    >display an icon on the windows desktop that has no file association and is
    >simply named ' ~ ' . I have deleted it but it seems to be coming back.
    >
    >All the computers are running McAfee Anti-Virus software which is updated
    >daily.
    >
    >Any ideas? TIA

    It is not caused by a virus, however, it does show a big security
    hole. You are still using OE and probably IE. I would recommend
    downloading and installing Mozilla or combination of Opera / Agent.

    You can then uninstall Outlook Express and the Windows Address Book
    which will fix this problem and make your PC more secure and less
    virus-prone.

    HTH
    Aaron Lingwood

    Aaron B. Lingwood, Apr 20, 2004