    All the computers are running McAfee Anti-Virus software which is updated
    daily.

    Any ideas? TIA
    Neil, Apr 20, 2004

  2. Neil wrote:

    > Hi guys,
    >
    > I have noticed that a few of our work computers have recently started to
    > display an icon on the windows desktop that has no file association and is
    > simply named ' ~ ' . I have deleted it but it seems to be coming back.
    >
    > All the computers are running McAfee Anti-Virus software which is updated
    > daily.
    >
    > Any ideas? TIA

    Search google with "tilde desktop icon"
    =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=, Apr 20, 2004

  3. Neil

    slumpy Guest

    ....and with no more than a cursory glance at the dead camel Palindrâ~»me
    decided it was time to put the World to rights with this little gem:

    > Neil wrote:
    >
    >> Hi guys,
    >>
    >> I have noticed that a few of our work computers have recently
    >> started to display an icon on the windows desktop that has no file
    >> association and is simply named ' ~ ' . I have deleted it but it
    >> seems to be coming back.
    >>
    >> All the computers are running McAfee Anti-Virus software which is
    >> updated daily.
    >>
    >> Any ideas? TIA
    >>

    > Search google with "tilde desktop icon"

    They do nice Basmati rice too.
    --
    slumpy
    no more
    slumpy, Apr 20, 2004
  4. Neil

    °Mike° Guest

    If you have installed the cumulative update for OE, each time
    a contact is added to your address book, a file named "~" is
    created on your desktop when you exit OE or your address book.
    It is just a COPY of your Windows Address Book (*.wab).

    It is caused by the update for OE Q331923 (now Q330994).
    Microsoft are supposedly working on a fix.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/critical/330994/default.asp
    How to uninstall
    To remove the download, complete the following steps:

    On the Start menu, point to Settings and then click Control
    Panel. (In Windows XP, click Start and then click Control
    Panel.)
    Double-click Add/Remove Programs.
    In the list of currently installed programs, select Q330994
    and then click Remove or Add/Remove. If a dialog box appears,
    follow the instructions to remove the program.
    Click Yes or OK to confirm that you want to remove the program.

    On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 18:08:29 +0100, in
    <c63leg$sj$>
    Neil scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Apr 20, 2004
  5. Neil

    Unk Guest

    On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 18:08:29 +0100, "Neil" <> wrote:

    >Hi guys,
    >
    >I have noticed that a few of our work computers have recently started to
    >display an icon on the windows desktop that has no file association and is
    >simply named ' ~ ' . I have deleted it but it seems to be coming back.
    >
    >All the computers are running McAfee Anti-Virus software which is updated
    >daily.
    >
    >Any ideas? TIA

    It's a copy of your address book. It is caused by the April 2003
    cumulative update (Q330994) for Outlook Express.
    See: http://www.pchell.com/support/tildefile.shtml

    Apparently Microsoft is aware of the problem and is working on a fix.
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=330994
    Unk, Apr 20, 2004