  1. I have tried numerous times to update Windows Defender without success. I am
    using Windows XP and would appreciate comments from others regarding this
    matter.

    Bill Matthewson, Mar 24, 2006

  2. Bill Matthewson

    kenny Guest

    I have xp on autoupdate
    (download but notify before installing updates)
    and it is updated that way

    --
    www.computerboom.com

    A world full of wonders (tm)

    kenny, Mar 24, 2006

  3. Bill Matthewson

    Scraggy Guest

    Bill Matthewson wrote:
    > I have tried numerous times to update Windows Defender without
    > success. I am using Windows XP and would appreciate comments from
    > others regarding this matter.

    I have it on three machines 2 XP pro & 1 2K. One XP and the 2 k are fine.
    The other XP keeps finding,downloading then refinding the same update. I put
    it down to being a Micro$oft 'feature'
    They all do that Sir.
    members. Groucho Marx

    Scraggy, Mar 24, 2006
  4. Bill Matthewson

    PuppyKatt Guest

    >I have tried numerous times to update Windows Defender without success. I
    >am using Windows XP and would appreciate comments from others regarding
    >this matter.

    I cannot update mine, either. When I go to the site, I am tokd that the old
    version must be uninstalled first. Uninstalling restarts the computer. I
    glitch that MS must work on, and that is why it is still only a BETA.

    PuppyKatt, Mar 24, 2006
  5. Bill Matthewson

    Plato Guest

    Bill Matthewson wrote:

    Since it's a BETA program and you are a BETA tester then please contact
    the Author of the app for advice, as one does with ANY BETA program.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Mar 25, 2006
  6. Is there an good alternative to windows defender besides spybot ?

    In my view Spybot is good for finding less harmful spyware and adware
    but does not find the more aggresive spyware ad ms antispyware does.

    Father Jack Hackett, Mar 25, 2006
  7. Bill Matthewson

    Plato Guest

    Father Jack Hackett wrote:

    > Is there an good alternative to windows defender besides spybot ?

    Yes. Common Sense. Dont choose to install spyware in the first place.
    It's up to you.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Mar 25, 2006
  8. That is not a software program, eejit.

    Father Jack Hackett, Mar 25, 2006
  9. Bill Matthewson

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Father Jack Hackett spewed forth:

    You didn't SPECIFY software. You merely asked for an alternative. Plato's
    alternative works - and it works better than ANY software.

    But to add my experience to the question at hand, I had a system here this
    weekend to clean up. It took these programs to accomplish the job
    successfully and get a clean, fast system again: Spybot Search and Destroy,
    Windows Defender, AdAware SE, CCleaner, Ewido and HijackThis. Oh - and I
    upgraded his older version of AVG as well.

    EACH one of the above programs found their own stuff that needed to be dealt
    with. None of them got everything on their own. So no, I don't believe there
    is any "one" single software product that would do the job satisfactorily.

    > That is not a software program, eejit.
    >>
    >> Yes. Common Sense. Dont choose to install spyware in the first place.
    >> It's up to you.
    >>
    >>> Is there an good alternative to windows defender besides spybot ?

    --
    My wife and I divorced over religious differences. She thought she was
    God and I didn't.

    Toolman Tim, Mar 26, 2006
  10. Bill Matthewson

    clot Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:
    > In news:,
    > Father Jack Hackett spewed forth:
    >
    > You didn't SPECIFY software. You merely asked for an alternative.
    > Plato's alternative works - and it works better than ANY software.
    >
    > But to add my experience to the question at hand, I had a system here
    > this weekend to clean up. It took these programs to accomplish the job
    > successfully and get a clean, fast system again: Spybot Search and
    > Destroy, Windows Defender, AdAware SE, CCleaner, Ewido and
    > HijackThis. Oh - and I upgraded his older version of AVG as well.
    >
    > EACH one of the above programs found their own stuff that needed to
    > be dealt with. None of them got everything on their own. So no, I
    > don't believe there is any "one" single software product that would
    > do the job satisfactorily.

    Thanks for that, Tim. It confirms my own experiences.

    <snip>

    clot, Mar 26, 2006
  11. Bill Matthewson

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:OwlVf.13524$,
    clot spewed forth:
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >> In news:,
    >> Father Jack Hackett spewed forth:
    >>
    >> You didn't SPECIFY software. You merely asked for an alternative.
    >> Plato's alternative works - and it works better than ANY software.
    >>
    >> But to add my experience to the question at hand, I had a system here
    >> this weekend to clean up. It took these programs to accomplish the
    >> job successfully and get a clean, fast system again: Spybot Search
    >> and Destroy, Windows Defender, AdAware SE, CCleaner, Ewido and
    >> HijackThis. Oh - and I upgraded his older version of AVG as well.
    >>
    >> EACH one of the above programs found their own stuff that needed to
    >> be dealt with. None of them got everything on their own. So no, I
    >> don't believe there is any "one" single software product that would
    >> do the job satisfactorily.

    > Thanks for that, Tim. It confirms my own experiences.

    Wait till the guy gets the bill - Blinky will hear him screaming in Oregon
    all the down there in the "City of the angels" ;o)

    He took this laptop to the local shop because his PCMCIA card quit. Well, he
    damaged it - no fault of theirs. But they were supposed to get him a
    wireless USB solution working. Nope. Nor did the RJ45 jack work for
    ethernet. And it wouldn't shut down - had to pull the battery. They told him
    to buy a new computer, this one was toast. What a crock! Sure, it took me
    about 4 hours to get it running right again (all except the fried cardslot).
    But that's still WAY cheaper than scrapping it! So now he'll use the USB for
    wireless. No big deal. Just for kicks, and on my own dime, I disassembled
    the laptop and physically inspected the mainboard to see if I could find the
    problem with the cardslot. Besides, stripping laptops down is fun <g>

    Toolman Tim, Mar 26, 2006
  12. TOn Fri, 24 Mar 2006 05:45:45 -0500, "Bill Matthewson"
    <> wrote:

    >I have tried numerous times to update Windows Defender without success. I am
    >using Windows XP and would appreciate comments from others regarding this
    >matter.

    This worked for me

    http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=915105

    Dave Habell Sr, Mar 26, 2006