    --
    Keith (Southend)
    http://www.southendweather.net

    Keith (Southend), May 28, 2006

  2. From: "Keith (Southend)" <>

    | Maybe I'm on the wrong group here, but I was wondering if anyone knew
    | exactly what Windows Defender does when it runs? The reason I ask is
    | that my runs everyday at about 10am and after about 5 to 10 minutes of
    | it running the I get this 'buzzing noise' from I think the hard drive,
    | although I can't be sure exactly. It lasts about 5 seconds, has no
    | effect on the running of the computer, but the first time I heard it my
    | heart sank. However after hearing it at the same time this morning (yes
    | I know I must get out more :) I began to suspect it was Windows
    | Defender running something (maybe the CAM Belt needs changing when it
    | does an emissions test!) <grin>
    |
    | Any ideas as to what it maybe checking/scanning ?

    You are right. This is NOT the best News Group. :)

    Microsoft has created a set of News Groups specifically to support this Beta product.

    News Server: news://privatenews.microsoft.com

    This News Server requires authentication:

    Account name: privatenews\spyware
    Password: spyware

    Sample URL:

    - microsoft.private.security.spyware.announcements
    - microsoft.private.security.spyware.appcompat
    - microsoft.private.security.spyware.general
    - microsoft.private.security.spyware.install
    - microsoft.private.security.spyware.networking
    - microsoft.private.security.spyware.signatures
    - microsoft.private.security.spyware.onlinecommunity

    To access these newsgroups using HTTP, use the following URL:
    http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?ICP=spyware&sLCID=us

    NOTE: No authentication is required for the web browser front end.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    David H. Lipman, May 28, 2006

  3. Keith (Southend) wrote:
    > Maybe I'm on the wrong group here, but I was wondering if anyone knew
    > exactly what Windows Defender does when it runs?

    How did you achieve the "when it runs" part?

    Sebastian Gottschalk, May 28, 2006
  4. Sebastian Gottschalk wrote:
    > Keith (Southend) wrote:
    >> Maybe I'm on the wrong group here, but I was wondering if anyone knew
    >> exactly what Windows Defender does when it runs?

    > How did you achieve the "when it runs" part?

    Open up Windows Defender > Tools > Options

    Incidentally, this arrived as an Auto-update last week, I was surprised
    it was still a beta version ;-)

    I'll move this question to MS forum(s) ~ Thanks David.

    Keith (Southend), May 28, 2006
  5. Keith (Southend) wrote:
    > Sebastian Gottschalk wrote:
    >> Keith (Southend) wrote:
    >>> Maybe I'm on the wrong group here, but I was wondering if anyone knew
    >>> exactly what Windows Defender does when it runs?

    >> How did you achieve the "when it runs" part?

    > Open up Windows Defender

    error: 0x80002402

    translation: cannot install this executable as a service

    WTF does it even try?

    Sebastian Gottschalk, May 28, 2006
  6. Sebastian Gottschalk wrote:
    > Keith (Southend) wrote:
    >> Sebastian Gottschalk wrote:
    >>> How did you achieve the "when it runs" part?

    >> Open up Windows Defender

    > error: 0x80002402
    >
    > translation: cannot install this executable as a service
    >
    > WTF does it even try?

    Hi Sebastian, I take it you can't even get it loaded/installed ? Do you
    have a validated version of XP?

    Keith (Southend), May 28, 2006
  7. Keith (Southend) wrote:

    >> error: 0x80002402
    >>
    >> translation: cannot install this executable as a service
    >>
    >> WTF does it even try?

    > Hi Sebastian, I take it you can't even get it loaded/installed?

    Right. I had to manually extract the MSI file and put the relevant
    registry entries in place. Though it's no difference to a fully dumped
    reference installation in a VM.

    > Do you have a validated version of XP?

    Yes, but I guess the reason is that it simply doesn't install as a
    restricted user or, even further, doesn't run as such if not installed
    with admin rights.

    This is very bad for a so-called security software, but even worse is
    that AntiSpyware Beta1 at least ran (even though the installer was
    f***ed up as well).

    Sebastian Gottschalk, May 28, 2006