Windows Defender/ unable to remove unwanted spyware

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Texas Smoke, Jun 30, 2007.

  1. Texas Smoke

    Texas Smoke Guest

    WD identified some spyware/adware on my machine the other day and when I
    tell it to "Remove" or "Quarantine" I get an error message that says:

    "Windows encountered an error: 0 x 80501001. One or more actions could be
    completed successfully. Do you want details of this error?"

    When I click "yes" I get the "history" window opens showing multiple
    instances of the offending programs, specifically:

    Software Bundler:Win32/KaZaA

    TrojanDownloader:Win32/WebP2PInstaller

    It has the date and a message in the right hand column that states an error
    was encountered. I've gone to the bottom of the "frame" for more details,
    clicked on the links that tell you what to do, followed those instructions
    and still can't get rid of these messages. Problem this is creating is that
    I ALWAYS have an "!" (exclamation point) on my WD icon in the system tray,
    which basically makes using WD useless. Any ideas or suggestions would be
    greatly appreciated.

    OS: XP Home Edition

    Sincerely,

    Jeff Bue

    Newark, Texas

    Texas Smoke, Jun 30, 2007

  2. Texas Smoke

    Vanguard Guest

    "Texas Smoke" <> wrote in message
    > WD identified some spyware/adware on my machine the other day and when
    > I tell it to "Remove" or "Quarantine" I get an error message that
    > says:

    <snip>

    MSAS has its own newsgroups. You can use Microsoft's CDO
    webnews-for-dummies interface at:

    http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?ICP=spyware&sLCID=us

    If you don't want to use the browser interface to their groups, define a
    news server in your NNTP client where:

    server = privatenews.microsoft.com
    username = privatenews\spyware
    password = spyware

    Vanguard, Jun 30, 2007

  3. Texas Smoke

    ded Guest

    > WD identified some spyware/adware on my machine the other day and when I
    > tell it to "Remove" or "Quarantine" I get an error message that says:
    >

    > "Windows encountered an error: 0 x 80501001. One or more actions could
    > be completed successfully. Do you want details of this error?"
    >
    > When I click "yes" I get the "history" window opens showing multiple
    > instances of the offending programs, specifically:
    >
    > Software Bundler:Win32/KaZaA

    KazaA is a peer-to-peer download/networking application.
    I don't run WD, so I'm not sure but I suspect as with some firewalls
    you will have to make an "allowance" for Kazaa. If you want to use it?
    Or you could google for the removal tool, type into google:
    Kazaabegone

    The error code you included - it dosen't exist.
    Type exactly the error code into here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/search...global&query=0x80501001&adv=&mode=r&cat=False

    ded, Jun 30, 2007
  4. Texas Smoke

    ded Guest

    "ded" <> wrote in message

    > "Texas Smoke" <> wrote in message
    >> WD identified some spyware/adware on my machine the other day and when I
    >> tell it to "Remove" or "Quarantine" I get an error message that says:
    >> "Windows encountered an error: 0 x 80501001. One or more actions could
    >> be completed successfully. Do you want details of this error?"
    >>
    >> When I click "yes" I get the "history" window opens showing multiple
    >> instances of the offending programs, specifically:
    >>
    >> Software Bundler:Win32/KaZaA
    >>

    > KazaA is a peer-to-peer download/networking application.
    > I don't run WD, so I'm not sure but I suspect as with some firewalls
    > you will have to make an "allowance" for Kazaa. If you want to use it?
    > Or you could google for the removal tool, type into google:
    > Kazaabegone
    >
    > The error code you included - it dosen't exist.
    > Type exactly the error code into here:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/search...global&query=0x80501001&adv=&mode=r&cat=False

    I did a google after I posted my reply, I found there are newer Kazaa
    removal tools:
    This one removes any leftover debris
    http://www.free-web-browsers.com/remove-kazaa-ads.shtml

    So to clarify....
    Basically, KaZaA is a freeware peer-to-peer file sharing tool.
    When you agreed to the license, it then also installs it's "footprint"
    which is for advertising and tracking etc.
    Most security suites will "permit" the valid functions of KaZaA inasmuch
    as it allows remote access to a designated folder for the purpose of
    file sharing, so...
    Either you are using Kazaa but WD is not recognising it as a valid
    remote access tool and you need to set permissions.
    Or...
    You had Kazaa but have since uninstalled it, or you have downloaded
    a media file which was contaminated, if these two, then use the
    above links to download the clean up tools.

    ded, Jun 30, 2007