Windows could not load the installer for display error

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?VGhpbms=?=, Sep 5, 2006.

  1. I cannot install drivers for my video card without this error occuring.

    Product:

    Intel 955EE
    4G of RAM
    Asus P5WDG2WS motherboard
    ATI x1900xtx video card
    2 Seagate Cheetahs 15K SCSI RAID 0

    Tried:

    Unistalled drivers
    Ran drivercleaner pro
    Ran registry cleaner as well
    Ran ccleaner

    (safe mode as well)

    Reinstalled Netframe 2.0 (x64)
    Reinstalled chip drivers
    Reinstalled Dirctx 9
    Reinstalled video drivers ( 2 differenct versions )

    Same error all the time.

    Tried to roll back the drivers in Device Manage/Drivers with no luck and as
    a matter of fact, when I try to go to video devices/properties, the error
    appears but then I press OK and I can still get in.

    =?Utf-8?B?VGhpbms=?=, Sep 5, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?VGhpbms=?=

    your creator Guest

    what SP do you have? you may need to update your windows installer

    your creator, Sep 5, 2006

  3. Is this XP x64?
    What error message do you get?
    What sequence are you following?
    What is the source/version of the driver you're trying to install?

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 5, 2006
  4. xp 64 SP1..all updates were done.

    =?Utf-8?B?VGhpbms=?=, Sep 5, 2006
  5. Yes, this is xp x64 SP1 with full updates
    The error message that I am recieving is Device installer error. "Windows
    could not load the installer for Display. Contact your hardware vendor for
    assistance."

    In Device Manager/Video Controller/General it indicates "This device is not
    configured correctly. (Code 1).To reinstall the drivers for this device,
    click Reinstall Driver."

    I am using the latest ATI Radeon Catalyst 6.8 Drivers from www.ati.com for
    xp 64.

    To reiterate, I removed the old video drivers and cleaned out any remnants
    of it using a program called DriverCleanerPro. I also ran CCleaner to be safe
    in removing any registries that remained. I did this in Safe mode as well.
    When I tried to install my video drivers ( even the older version ) I recieve
    this error. This all started because I removed my old video card and
    installed a new one.

    To try to resolve this problem, I reinstalled Directx9 as well as Microsoft
    Netframework 2.0 that my video card requires.

    I also noticed an exclamation mark in Device Manager/Video Controller but
    also noticed another excalamation mark in Audio Devices and tried to remove
    and reinstall those drivers as well WITH THE SAME ERROR?!?.

    I'm not sure which log files I can cut and past here so if you can direct me
    to that location, I will post that as well.

    Thank you

    =?Utf-8?B?VGhpbms=?=, Sep 5, 2006
  6. OK. I'm going to speculate here, since I'm not sitting at your machine. But
    I strongly suspect that your use of registry and driver "cleaner" programs
    is the root cause of the errors. Especially since you're seeing them in more
    than one area.

    What you've ended up with is something completely indeterminant. Who knows
    what is and isn't there, and what has been done to it. I STRONGLY discourage
    the use of automated registry cleaners - they do NO good, and can often do
    very bad things indeed.

    Given where you're at, my suggestion would be to do a "repair install" of
    Windows XP x64 Edition. Then, before you do ANYTHING else, connect to
    Windows Update or Microsoft Update and immediately re-apply all available
    patches and updates.

    Then, and only then, should you attempt to re-install the ATI drivers. And
    you do not need to remove any other drivers that may be installed first. The
    ATI installer should handle them quite well, and if there are problems,
    there are safer and easier ways to resolve them.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 5, 2006
  7. Thank you Charlie Russel. I suspected as much and will do a repair - just
    needed an expert opinion to re-assure myself that by doing an xp repair was
    not overkill.

    Thanks.

    =?Utf-8?B?VGhpbms=?=, Sep 6, 2006
  8. Hello,
    I agree with Charlie it's hard to tell where the state of this system is
    after the use of automated registry cleaners.
    This error can occur if the desk.cpl is missing or substituted with another
    similar cpl file or the registry entries pointing to it is not present, or
    corrupted. You may also see this if a dependant dll from a driver was
    loaded to add additional tabs (functionality choices) to the desk.cpl
    applet.
    Now when the desk.cpl tries to load the dlls, they are missing or their
    registration information is no longer present in the registry so
    installation fails.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "Charlie Russel - MVP" <>
    <Subject: Re: Windows could not load the installer for display error
    <Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 15:28:13 -0700
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
[...]
    <--
    <Charlie.
    <http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
    <"Think" <> wrote in message
    <> Yes, this is xp x64 SP1 with full updates
    <> The error message that I am recieving is Device installer error. "Windows
    <> could not load the installer for Display. Contact your hardware vendor
    for
    <> assistance."
    <>
[...]
    <> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
    <>
    <>> Is this XP x64?
    <>> What error message do you get?
    <>> What sequence are you following?
    <>> What is the source/version of the driver you're trying to install?
    <>>
    <>> --
    <>> Charlie.
    <>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
    <>> "Think" <> wrote in message
    <>> news:D...
    <>> >I cannot install drivers for my video card without this error occuring.
    <>> >
    <>> > Product:
    <>> >

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Sep 6, 2006
  9. Not overkill in this case, for sure. I'm just hoping it will resolve it.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 6, 2006
  10. Gee, and Carlos gives me such a hard time because I hate these things. ;)

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 6, 2006