    I have windows XP. about twice a week I have to keep resetting the
    clock. always loses 3 hrs. can it be my battery! computer is 6-7 yrs old

    Chet

    chet, Aug 1, 2006

  2. chet

    Tee Jay Guest

    chet wrote:
    > I have windows XP. about twice a week I have to keep resetting the
    > clock. always loses 3 hrs. can it be my battery! computer is 6-7 yrs old
    >

    > Chet

    Yes. Easy fix (usually) to replace open tower, find cell (watch battery)
    replace from local drugstore. (match battery type). Reset and correctly
    set BIOS. (write settings down before battery switch if you are not sure.)
    Tee Jay

    Tee Jay, Aug 1, 2006

  3. chet

    Gel Guest

    Battery usually CR2032 in desktops.

    Gel, Aug 1, 2006
  4. chet

    Sjouke Burry Guest

    chet wrote:
    > I have windows XP. about twice a week I have to keep resetting the
    > clock. always loses 3 hrs. can it be my battery! computer is 6-7 yrs old
    >

    > Chet

    I use Atomic clock Sync,
    see http://www.worldtimeserver.com

    Sjouke Burry, Aug 1, 2006
  5. "chet" <> wrote in message
    >I have windows XP. about twice a week I have to keep resetting the clock.
    >always loses 3 hrs. can it be my battery! computer is 6-7 yrs old
    >

    > Chet

    It could be a faulty battery, as suggested. Although you could synchronize
    your computer with a service like www.time.com, you probably should look
    into the battery as well. Most batteries of this type typically last about
    five years and if you let it go, you're just waiting to lose your BIOS
    configuration. I've seen this happen in many 486's I've worked on and the
    problem was a dead battery.

    0054040905416, Aug 2, 2006
  6. chet

    blacklotus90 Guest

    I would say it's almost definitely the battery. If you open up your
    computer, on the motherboard, there should be a small battery, like a
    watch battery, but maybe an inch across, about the size of a quarter.
    As suggested above, some hardware or electronics stores may stock them.
    Also, if your town has a computer recycling/buildng center (FreeGeek,
    etc.) you should ask them, at my local FreeGeek, they usually have a
    bucket full. Another thing, do not remove the battery until you are
    ready to put a new one in, otherwise all your clock and BIOS settings
    will be reset anyway.

    blacklotus90, Aug 2, 2006
  7. chet

    Guest

    , Aug 8, 2006
  8. chet

    blacklotus90 Guest

    Oh and by the way, it's usually a good idea to take digital camera
    pictures or write down your BIOS settings before you replace the
    battery, and even if you don't go through that process, photos or a
    list can help in the future should any similar problems arise.

    blacklotus90, Aug 9, 2006