    I Googled up some advice to check the bios for setting that makes the
    drive read only and to put a new cable on. I will try this when I get
    back on Monday. Any other ideas?

    Billh, May 20, 2005

  2. Billh

    doS Guest

    yes, make sure the disk "clicks" into the drive,had an issue like that and
    the floppy was not fully inserted.

    doS, May 20, 2005

  3. Billh

    blablabla Guest

    "Billh" <> wrote in message
    >I have an older computer at work that will not write to the A drive claims
    >it is write protected.

    Windows makes a lot of unsubstantiated claims. And this suprises you why
    exactly?

    blablabla, May 20, 2005
  4. Billh

    Franklin Guest

    Billh wrote:
    > I have an older computer at work that will not write to the A drive
    > claims it is write protected. Which it is not. I tried a few disks and
    > then changed out the drive with a new one and no joy. Reading is no
    > problem.
    >
    > I Googled up some advice to check the bios for setting that makes the
    > drive read only and to put a new cable on. I will try this when I get
    > back on Monday. Any other ideas?

    Hi,
    On the back of the disk is a like a button just push it down or pull it up.
    HTH

    Franklin, May 20, 2005
  5. Billh

    Billh Guest

    Franklin wrote:
    > Billh wrote:
    >
    >> I have an older computer at work that will not write to the A drive
    >> claims it is write protected. Which it is not. I tried a few disks
    >> and then changed out the drive with a new one and no joy. Reading is
    >> no problem.
    >>
    >> I Googled up some advice to check the bios for setting that makes the
    >> drive read only and to put a new cable on. I will try this when I get
    >> back on Monday. Any other ideas?

    > Hi,
    > On the back of the disk is a like a button just push it down or pull it up.
    > HTH

    Thanks that was the first thing I checked.

    Billh, May 20, 2005
  6. Billh

    Richard Webb Guest

    Hi

    It is just possible there is a fault in your floppy drive.

    Seems to me it is not sensing the position of the protect slider on the
    inserted Floppy.

    If you are keen, it may be worth opening it up & having a look, perhaps some
    dust getting in the way?

    Good luck,

    Richard

    Richard Webb, May 21, 2005
  7. Billh

    Billh Guest

    That was the second thing I tried was putting a new drive in and that
    did not help.

    Billh, May 23, 2005
  8. Billh

    Billh Guest

    Billh wrote:
    > I have an older computer at work that will not write to the A drive
    > claims it is write protected. Which it is not. I tried a few disks and
    > then changed out the drive with a new one and no joy. Reading is no
    > problem.
    >
    > I Googled up some advice to check the bios for setting that makes the
    > drive read only and to put a new cable on. I will try this when I get
    > back on Monday. Any other ideas?

    BTW it was the bios setting.

    Billh, May 26, 2005