Windows CE problems

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Ray Greene, Feb 14, 2007.

  1. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    I have a situation where a small industrial PC with a touch screen and
    no keyboard running Windows CE connects to a web server via wireless.
    Because the screen is very small Internet Explorer needs to run
    without a menu bar. The PC is mobile and sometimes gets out of
    wireless range, which causes an error page to come up in IE.

    Problem is, without a menu bar there is no way to go back, reload the
    page or close IE. The only way around this is to reboot the PC. That
    only takes a few seconds but there has to be a more elegant way to do
    it. I'm looking for a single button-press solution.

    I tried a few things but I'm not having much success so far.

    I thought about running a script from the Start menu to close IE, but
    it doesn't run VBScript so I'm assuming scripting isn't supported, and
    while batch files are supported they have no way of closing IE. Maybe
    there is a way of displaying the menu bar again in IE from a batch
    file?
    I also thought of customising the default error page but I believe it
    is built into a dll.

    There is practically no space left in memory so installing an
    application isn't an option.

    If anyone can suggest somewhere CE-specific to look for a solution I'd
    be very grateful. The CE newsgroups look to be nearly dead.

    --
    Ray Greene
    Ray Greene, Feb 14, 2007

  2. Ray Greene

    Keith Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I have a situation where a small industrial PC with a touch screen and
    > no keyboard running Windows CE connects to a web server via wireless.
    > Because the screen is very small Internet Explorer needs to run
    > without a menu bar. The PC is mobile and sometimes gets out of
    > wireless range, which causes an error page to come up in IE.

    ....snip...
    > If anyone can suggest somewhere CE-specific to look for a solution I'd
    > be very grateful. The CE newsgroups look to be nearly dead.

    You've checked the the microsoft.public.windowsce.* groups? The
    m.p.w.platbuilder and m.p.w.embedded groups look pretty busy.

    You also might want to check the microsoft.public.pocketpc.* family of
    groups.
    Keith, Feb 14, 2007

  3. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 21:10:46 +1300, Keith <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >says...
    >> I have a situation where a small industrial PC with a touch screen and
    >> no keyboard running Windows CE connects to a web server via wireless.
    >> Because the screen is very small Internet Explorer needs to run
    >> without a menu bar. The PC is mobile and sometimes gets out of
    >> wireless range, which causes an error page to come up in IE.

    >...snip...
    >> If anyone can suggest somewhere CE-specific to look for a solution I'd
    >> be very grateful. The CE newsgroups look to be nearly dead.

    >You've checked the the microsoft.public.windowsce.* groups? The
    >m.p.w.platbuilder and m.p.w.embedded groups look pretty busy.

    There wasn't much showing on Google groups when I checked at work
    today but I see that Agent shows a bit more activity there.

    >You also might want to check the microsoft.public.pocketpc.* family of
    >groups.

    I didn't think of them. Thanks.

    --
    Ray Greene