Windows can't find wireless access points automatically

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by hmc, Sep 9, 2004.

  1. hmc

    hmc Guest

    Hi, I have a Linksys 802.11b card (about 4 yrs old). It works fine for my
    home office that I share w/ my wife. However, when I go to an Internet cafe
    I can never seem to get online quickly.

    Other people have told me that Windows automatically detects a wireless
    network. When I looked in the Help system, it says I should go to Network
    Connections and right-click on Wireless Network Connection. However, there
    is no wireless connection icon in my Network Connections profile.

    Is it b/c I'm using an outdated driver? My driver version is 1.07.29a from
    Nov 26, 2001. When I tried to install a Linksys driver on the Windows Update
    site, my machine crashed. Any ideas? I have WinXP.

    --
    remove "smooth" from my yahoo.com address.

    hmc, Sep 9, 2004

  2. hmc

    Pavel A. Guest

    Yes, your driver is outdated and not cooperating with XP.
    The Linksys support is the address.
    --PA

    Pavel A., Sep 12, 2004