    is just messed up in Windows. I tried uninstalling all software that was
    related to my cdrom (ie. Ahead Nero burning rom, etc.). I could reformat,
    but do not want to. Any thoughts?

    gregb369, Dec 17, 2003

  2. gregb369

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "gregb369" <> wrote in
    news::

    > I have a Dell laptop with Windows 2000 Pro. I have an external cdrom
    > that worked in the past, but now will not install properly. It shows
    > up in the Device Manager as a (!) and it says that "the device is not
    > working properly and Windows cannot load the drive". However, I can
    > put my Windows 2000 cd in it and reboot and it will boot to the cd.
    > So I know it works. Something is just messed up in Windows. I tried
    > uninstalling all software that was related to my cdrom (ie. Ahead Nero
    > burning rom, etc.). I could reformat, but do not want to. Any
    > thoughts?

    Are you letting Windows 2k provide the driver, installed the driver from
    its cd or install diskette or gone to the manufacture's Website and got the
    driver and installed it? You can install the driver right there at the
    Device Manager by right-clicking on the device and selecting Properties. I
    suggest that you install the manufactuer's driver manually if you have not
    done so.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Dec 17, 2003