"Windows cannot configure this wireless connection" message

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by tcarp, Feb 5, 2009.

  1. tcarp

    tcarp Guest

    My wife's Dell Inspirion 710M has been connecting successfully to our home
    wireless network for a very long time. Suddenly, she's getting the message
    "Windows can't configure this wireless connection". There's a note about WZC
    which implies there's another program managing the wireless connection.

    I'm not aware of any install or message asking which program to use. What
    did happen was she plugged in an external wireless care (Linksys) to run a
    quick test to see if she would get better network performance from it vs. the
    internal card.

    Ever since she has had the error message and no connection.

    Before I go down the path to research WZC, does anyone have any idea why
    this might have started after she plugged in the Linksys external card? I've
    tried to "repair" the network connection but it fails at the point where it's
    trying to connect to the network.

    Thanks

    Tom
    tcarp, Feb 5, 2009

  2. Hi
    Many Wireless cards when installed put their own Wireless Manger on the
    system as well.
    Most of the users prefer Windows Wireless Zero Configuration (WZC) as a
    Wireless Manger, thus need to disable the original vendor's utility and make
    sure that WZC is On.
    Maybe this can Help, http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html (scroll down to the
    second demarcation line).
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)