Windows cannot access the specified device path or file. You may not have the appropriate permission

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by strollingjj, Dec 2, 2006.

  1. strollingjj

    strollingjj Guest

    I have recently bought a new computer and installed ie7. Whenever I use it
    to download and run programs from the internet it blocks them saying
    "Windows cannot access the specified device path or file. You may not have
    the appropriate permissions to access the item."

    I can get round this be either using firefox or downloading the exe file and
    installing from that.

    But I've recently tried to download Microsoft Virtual Earth and because it
    seems to be intergrated with ie7 the error pops up half way through the
    install - no way round it.

    I'd be grateful if anyone can suggest how I can solve this for good. There
    are a few theories on the net that I've seen already but nothing that
    appears to sort it.

    Thanks.

    strollingjj, Dec 2, 2006

  2. strollingjj wrote:

    > I have recently bought a new computer and installed ie7. Whenever I use it
    > to download and run programs from the internet it blocks them saying
    > "Windows cannot access the specified device path or file. You may not have
    > the appropriate permissions to access the item."
    >
    > I can get round this be either using firefox or downloading the exe file
    > and installing from that.
    >
    > But I've recently tried to download Microsoft Virtual Earth and because it
    > seems to be intergrated with ie7 the error pops up half way through the
    > install - no way round it.

    So virtual earth from Microsoft is incompatible with the latest and greatest
    IE7, and IE7 fully integrates that incompatibility into the OS.

    > I'd be grateful if anyone can suggest how I can solve this for good. There
    > are a few theories on the net that I've seen already but nothing that
    > appears to sort it.

    There is Google Earth. And there is Linux.
    Google Earth already has a version compatible with windows.
    And one for Linux.

    Walter Mautner, Dec 2, 2006

  3. strollingjj

    Mr. Arnold6 Guest

    Re: Windows cannot access the specified device path or file. Youmay not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

    strollingjj wrote:
    > I have recently bought a new computer and installed ie7. Whenever I use it
    > to download and run programs from the internet it blocks them saying
    > "Windows cannot access the specified device path or file. You may not have
    > the appropriate permissions to access the item."

    Well, it must be that IE7 is set to not allow downloads, unless you
    enable IE to download files, which I think was enabled on earlier
    versions of IE by default. This may be the possible situation with IE7
    that it's not allowing downloads by default.

    > I can get round this be either using firefox or downloading the exe file and
    > installing from that.
    >
    > But I've recently tried to download Microsoft Virtual Earth and because it
    > seems to be intergrated with ie7 the error pops up half way through the
    > install - no way round it.

    Why don't you check the browser setting?

    > I'd be grateful if anyone can suggest how I can solve this for good. There
    > are a few theories on the net that I've seen already but nothing that
    > appears to sort it.

    You should go to a MS NG or forum and ask the question on how to set IE7
    to download files, if the ability is being blocked by IE7. I don't use
    IE7 as of yet, otherwise, I would try to help you further.

    I don't think you're going to get a decent answer in this NG about this.

    Mr. Arnold6, Dec 2, 2006
  4. "strollingjj" <> wrote in

    > I have recently bought a new computer and installed ie7. Whenever I use
    > it to download and run programs from the internet it blocks them saying
    > "Windows cannot access the specified device path or file. You may not
    > have the appropriate permissions to access the item."
    >
    > I can get round this be either using firefox or downloading the exe file
    > and installing from that.
    >
    > But I've recently tried to download Microsoft Virtual Earth and because
    > it seems to be intergrated with ie7 the error pops up half way through
    > the install - no way round it.
    >
    > I'd be grateful if anyone can suggest how I can solve this for good.
    > There are a few theories on the net that I've seen already but nothing
    > that appears to sort it.
    >
    > Thanks.

    The make and OS of your computer is relevant and would be interesting data
    hereto. I got that you think it's "Windows" so we'll go with Windows XP as
    the most probable; however, I want to know who did the "roll-out" on your
    OS, because the computer manufacturer determines the config (basic
    settings) on your OS, and when you installed IE7 it simply incorporated the
    IE6 settings you previously had.

    Ergo, you should have the same "problems" with IE6 as you describe with
    IE7.

    If you want to see and evaluate my "theory", then you must reveal your
    'puter-maker and when you installed IE7 and when you started having the
    problem(s).

    "Well, art is art, isn't it?
    Still, on the other hand, water is water!
    And East-is-East and West-is-West...
    And if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce,
    they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does!
    Now, uhhh... Now *you* tell *me* what *you* know."
    -- Groucho Marx, Animal Crackers (1930)

    Bucky Breeder, Dec 2, 2006
  5. strollingjj

    strollingjj Guest

    Thanks.

    I have a new Dell Dimension 9200 running Windows XP Media Edition.

    I have always had the problem since I installed IE7 - with IE7 - as I said
    in the earlier post other browsers eg Firefox work fine.

    I have looked under security and can't see anything preventing downloads so
    your suggestion that it is a config issue is logical.

    Thanks in advance for any help.

    "Bucky Breeder" <> wrote in
    message news:Xns988D6FB6A3F33WeeZurD@216.151.153.21...

    strollingjj, Dec 2, 2006
  6. >> "strollingjj" wrote in

    >>> I have recently bought a new computer and installed ie7. Whenever I
    >>> use it to download and run programs from the internet it blocks them
    >>> saying "Windows cannot access the specified device path or file. You
    >>> may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."
    >>>
    >>> I can get round this be either using firefox or downloading the exe
    >>> file and installing from that.
    >>>
    >>> But I've recently tried to download Microsoft Virtual Earth and
    >>> because it seems to be intergrated with ie7 the error pops up half way
    >>> through the install - no way round it.
    >>>
    >>> I'd be grateful if anyone can suggest how I can solve this for good.
    >>> There are a few theories on the net that I've seen already but nothing
    >>> that appears to sort it.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.

    > "Bucky Breeder" wrote in
    > message news:Xns988D6FB6A3F33WeeZurD@216.151.153.21...
    >>
    >> The make and OS of your computer is relevant and would be interesting
    >> data hereto. I got that you think it's "Windows" so we'll go with
    >> Windows XP as
    >> the most probable; however, I want to know who did the "roll-out" on
    >> your OS, because the computer manufacturer determines the config (basic
    >> settings) on your OS, and when you installed IE7 it simply incorporated
    >> the
    >> IE6 settings you previously had.
    >>
    >> Ergo, you should have the same "problems" with IE6 as you describe with
    >> IE7.
    >>
    >> If you want to see and evaluate my "theory", then you must reveal your
    >> 'puter-maker and when you installed IE7 and when you started having the
    >> problem(s).

    "strollingjj" <> wrote in

    > Thanks.
    >
    > I have a new Dell Dimension 9200 running Windows XP Media Edition.
    >
    > I have always had the problem since I installed IE7 - with IE7 - as I
    > said in the earlier post other browsers eg Firefox work fine.
    >
    > I have looked under security and can't see anything preventing downloads
    > so your suggestion that it is a config issue is logical.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any help.

    WinXP MCE; You just *might* have a user account issue, depending on what
    account you were running-in when you upgraded to IE7. But, let's proceed for
    now as if that's not an issue with Dell.

    Make sure IE7, and every other browser is closed out. Ctrl+Alt+Del >
    Applications tab > look for IE's or other's icon to be sure. There should be
    none. If so, we have a slight problem, post back. If not, that's good. Goto
    your desktop IE icon > right-click > Properties > "Advanced" tab > Click
    "Restore Advanced Settings", and then scroll around that "Settings" window
    and have a look. Don't do anything, yet. IE7's settings are safe enough for
    now. You can come back and tweak later - but you really should not have to.
    "Apply" button. Done there, for now.

    Now goto your "Security" tab > Highlight (select) Internet icon, click
    Default level, and that slider should say "Medium-high". Click on "Custom
    level..." button. Scroll around in the "Settings" window and have a look, but
    for now, do *not* change anything. You can always come back and tweak later.

    Goto your "Programs" tab, under "Default web browser" and make sure "Tell
    me..." is checked, for now. You can change that later too.

    Make sure your "Reset custom settings" is at Medium-high (default) in that
    window, or "Reset..." button so that it is. "OK" out of there. Now, goto the
    "General" tab. Under "Browsing History" click "Delete..." button > at the
    dialog, click "Delete all..." button. At the confirmation dialog, check the
    "Also delete..." option, and then "Yes" button. OK out of there.

    Now, your settings should be back to snuff, and you should be able to do this
    thing, unless there's a firewall issue out there too... If it were me, I'd go
    ahead and reboot after all that just to make sure. It really should not
    matter, but just to rule-out something sticking in the cache or page file, it
    wouldn't hurt anything. Then defrag C:\ with your provided Windows System
    Tools utility. Do that much, try your desired operation, and then let's see
    what shakes out? Try to be more specific if there's any more problem, like
    what site it is, what the exact error message is, etc.

    Bucky Breeder, Dec 2, 2006
  7. strollingjj

    Au79 Guest

    strollingjj wrote:

    > I have recently bought a new computer and installed ie7. Whenever I use it
    > to download and run programs from the internet it blocks them saying
    > "Windows cannot access the specified device path or file. You may not have
    > the appropriate permissions to access the item."
    >
    > I can get round this be either using firefox or downloading the exe file
    > and installing from that.
    >
    > But I've recently tried to download Microsoft Virtual Earth and because it
    > seems to be intergrated with ie7 the error pops up half way through the
    > install - no way round it.
    >
    > I'd be grateful if anyone can suggest how I can solve this for good. There
    > are a few theories on the net that I've seen already but nothing that
    > appears to sort it.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Why aren't you using GoogleEarth??

    http://rixstep.com/1/20040719,00.shtml
    http://free.thelinuxstore.ca/

    Au79, Dec 2, 2006
  8. strollingjj

    strollingjj Guest

    Hi Bucky

    I did eberything you suggested but still have a problem.

    The exact sequence can be replicated.

    I've already downloaded the Virtual Earth set up file - I double click on
    this.

    It then says do you want to run this file - I click "run"

    Set up initializes then it aks me to accept licence - I accept.

    It then says it is installing windows imaging component. At this point I get
    a couple of zonelabs warnings saying it is communicating with sp2 win32 etc.

    It then launches IE7 itself and a windo comes up asking if I want to run
    "launchve3dinstaller.exe - I click "run"

    Then another windo comes up again saying "do you want to run this
    software" - both this and previous pain have a yellow security shield on
    them. I click "run"

    The a windo comes up saying

    "Windoes cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have
    the appropriate permissions to access the item." The title bar of this
    window is c:\documents and settings\my name\local settings\temporary
    internet files\content.IE5\MVWORU0N\LaunchVEDInstaller[1].exe

    NB the second 0 in WoRU0N appears to be a zero.

    Meanwhile another window veryfying the launch is trying to download the file
    in the background to a temporary folder but can't.

    I click OK on th error and it closes.

    Thanks james

    "Bucky Breeder" <> wrote in
    message news:Xns988D84B5E6468WeeZurD@216.151.153.14...

    strollingjj, Dec 2, 2006
  9. You know what it sounds like to me? From where you wrote here:

    > "Windoes cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not
    > have the appropriate permissions to access the item." The title bar of
    > this window is c:\documents and settings\my name\local
    > settings\temporary internet
    > files\content.IE5\MVWORU0N\LaunchVEDInstaller[1].exe

    Unlike previously with IE5 and IE6, when we upgraded to IE7, I started
    getting a confirmation dialog when I access my C:\Documents and Settings
    \[admin user]\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\ ; I get this security
    dialog "This page has an unspecified potential security risk. Would you like
    to continue? [Yes][No]

    Then when I click yes, there's all my TIF's...

    When you get to that point in the install sequence, can you navigate there
    and see your "content.IE5" folder, et seq?

    I don't think your system has any problem at this point at all.

    Do you have M$ .NET Framework installed? Check in your Control Panel >
    Add/Remove? Probably do, or it would have squawked if it were an issue. Then
    try logoff [your name] user account and logon admin and run the install
    routine again, see what shakes.

    http://www.microsoft.com/virtualearth/default.mspx

    Bucky Breeder, Dec 2, 2006
  10. strollingjj

    strollingjj Guest

    Hi Bucky
    I navigated to the content.IE5 folder at that point. There are 5 files in
    there;

    OPARW5IF

    45IBG1M7

    W1I7CH6V

    W9MVW52F

    These have gifs and stylesheets in them - looks like content that downloads
    either when I use Napster or the Windows media player - I downloaded WM11 a
    week or so ago.

    The last file is;

    "index". Properties says this is a DAT file 224kb created 21 Nov, modified
    23 Nov. There is no associated program to open it. Under "advanced tab" the
    file is ready for archiving and allowing index service are ticked.

    As far as MS.Net is concerned I have;

    Framework 1.1

    Framework 1.1 Hotfix KB886903

    Framework 2.0 installed

    I don't have another user. I am the computer admin. I did however create
    another account as computer admin and tried to load the file. Exactly the
    same thing happened.

    "Bucky Breeder" <> wrote in
    message news:Xns988DB3ED6FED4WeeZurD@216.151.153.13...

    strollingjj, Dec 3, 2006
  11. strollingjj

    strollingjj Guest

    Bucky

    I've solved the problem. Simply uninstalled IE7 and use IE6 instead.

    No problem!
    Thanks for your help.

    strollingjj, Dec 3, 2006
  12. "strollingjj" <> wrote in

    > Bucky
    >
    > I've solved the problem. Simply uninstalled IE7 and use IE6 instead.
    >
    > No problem!
    > Thanks for your help.

    Hooray! (Phreeking '~micro~soft~' -- You'd think they would coordinate at
    least their own softwares' install routines when they update such an
    integral part of their OS!?! (Now that you have it installed, I'm wondering
    if re-installing IE7 will let Virtual Earth operate correctly? That should
    only take a few minutes, if you have the time...) Thanks for the quality
    feedback - I'm sure your time and trouble will help others who run up
    against the same issues. I'm glad you got it worked out.

    "You're a brave man!
    Go and break through the lines.
    And remember, while you're out there risking your life and limb
    through shot and shell,
    we'll be in here thinking what a sucker you are."
    -- Groucho Marx, 'Duck Soup' to Harpo as Pinky (1933)

    Bucky Breeder, Dec 3, 2006