    I presume there's some setting for mapped drives that is unique to wireless
    connections to get them to fully load on startup, but I don't know where it
    might be. Can anyone help?

    =?Utf-8?B?RGFuaWVsIEVpY2hvcm4=?=, Nov 17, 2004

  2. =?Utf-8?B?RGFuaWVsIEVpY2hvcm4=?=

    Pavel A. Guest

    "Daniel Eichorn" <Daniel > wrote in message
    > I presume there's some setting for mapped drives that is unique to wireless
    > connections to get them to fully load on startup, but I don't know where it
    > might be. Can anyone help?

    No, wireless connection has nothing unique here... might be some anomaly of XP Home.
    Can you test this with a XP pro client machine?

    --PA

    Pavel A., Nov 18, 2004

  3. Daniel,

    I would first like to confirm what you have said are the symptoms. You say
    that if you open the Explorer you _can_ see the files in the mapped drives,
    but you must do this before opening these files from inside the application,
    correct? The part I do not understand is where you say that you select the
    mapped driver and it goes back to the C: drive. I am not sure I understand
    what is exactly happening here. Can you see the rest of the network before
    opening these drives in Explorer? Is your wireless network connected
    already and can you, for example, browse www.microsoft.com without any
    problems?

    I am guessing that this application is somewhat older, perhaps a legacy
    application. Is is a 16-bit or 32-bit application, recent or older?
    When you mapped the drives, did you set them to reconnect at login?
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/.../productdoc/en/windows_fcab_connect_drive.asp

    My first idea is the following: Directly enter the full file name of the
    file you want to open instead of navegating there through the Open File
    dialog window. Let's say you have a F: drive, and you want to open the file
    F:\documents\mydoc.doc - instead of navegating to F:, then documents, enter
    the full path directly into the file name portion of the dialog. I am
    interested in what happens in this case, please tell me how that goes.

    The other case I am interested in checking is directly accessing these
    drives w/o using Explorer. Can you initially open a CMD.EXE window and do a
    dir of
    F:\, following the above example? Does that cause the problem to later not
    happen with the application?

    I am not sure why these machines using wireless would behave differently.
    There are no settings related to this at all that I know of. Please let me
    know the results of the above scenarios.

    --
    Brian Wehrle

    Software Test Engineer/Wireless Networking
    Microsoft Corp.

    Brian Wehrle [MSFT], Nov 18, 2004
  4. I have a similar situation with my wireless network.

    Using the wireless laptop, I can browse the internet, receive e-mail. But
    if I try to open an Office document from the other PC from the office
    application, I can't. If I go out to 'My Computer', I have to open the drive
    first. Then I can open the file from within the Office application.

    When I open the drive within 'My Computer', it does require me to sign on to
    the other machine (2000) with account and password.

    =?Utf-8?B?Q29yZXk=?=, Nov 18, 2004