Windows Camera wizard no longer mounts/transfers photos to hard di

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?VG9t?=, Jan 23, 2007.

  1. Hi,
    I have a "new" problem trying to get pictures from my Kodak DC280 camera.
    It used to be that I could just plug in the camera (USB), set it to
    "connect", turn it on and Windows would pop up with a "scanner and camera"
    wizard (or something like that) and show me thumbnails of the photos that
    were in the camera. I then had the option of "copying" them to my hard disk.
    I do not use and have never used Kodak's EasyShare software, as Windows
    always gave me the correct level of function that I wanted.

    Now I've upgraded from XP Pro x64 Trial version to the
    purchased RTM version and I lost my ability to transfer pictures. The new
    version also includes XP Pro X64 SP2 preinstalled (no, SP1 on this version
    of windows has no relationship to SP2 on non-Pro Windows or 32-bit Windows
    versions), where I had manually added SP2 to the old trial version.

    Anyway, I can no longer get the camera "mounted" and transfer files. Out of
    desperation, I tried installing Kodak's EasyShare to get the "device
    connection
    software", but that didn't help, so I took it back off.

    Just to make things clear: When I plug in the camera, set it to "connect"
    and turn it on, I get the "ding" from Windows and an "invitation" to install
    a new driver (it never used to ask to install a driver). No matter what
    machinations I use, I am unable to find/locate/use/whatever an appropriate
    driver. In fact, there isn't even a "digital camera" entry in the "add
    driver" facility, as Kodak said I would find. So, I don't know what's going
    on.
    This seems to be the same problem that many others are having also, as
    described in the 32-bit groups, but the only solutions I've found are to 1)
    buy a card reader; 2) run the "autoplay" fix..

    From reading through other discussion groups, the problem seems likely to be
    related to something having gone wrong with "autoplay" for
    camers/videos/imaging devices. MS published a fix for this, but this fix
    (autoplay.exe) is not available for X64 versions of windows. I have
    attempted to get to the "camera" to turn on autoplay, but it doesn't even
    show up in the "removable devices" section of "my computer" (despite the fact
    that Windows "dings" when it's plugged in and turned on). It doesn't show up
    in disk management, either, but I didn't expect it to, anyway.

    So if anyone has any more thoughts on this, I'd appreciate hearing from them.

    Thanks,
    --
    Tom

    =?Utf-8?B?VG9t?=, Jan 23, 2007

  2. Tom,

    does the 'Scanners and Cameras' applet in Control Panel list your camera? If
    so, right click and go to 'Properties' and you'll find an 'Event' tab that
    may help you, if not then you may actually have to use this applet to
    manually 'Add Device', since your camera isn't using a driver - otherwise,
    did you install anything that reconfigures the associations for multimedia
    file types?

    Tony Sperling, Jan 23, 2007

  3. Re: Windows Camera wizard no longer mounts/transfers photos to har

    This sounds crazy - don't trust the Kodak web site if it seems not to have
    anything listed, it may be a Beta driver and I think you should e-mail their
    support and tell your story and ask them in a friendly tone what on earth
    you should be doing?

    One other thing - just because the wizard asks for a disk doesn't mean you
    have to have a physical disk, you can download a file and put it anywhere on
    your HD and then after clicking 'Have Disk' you browse to where you put the
    file you downloaded. If you download a *.ZIP file, you need to 'Unzip' it
    first, prior to entering the wizard. I keep a 'temp' folder from under the
    root ( C:\temp) for this purpose - in your case extract the ZIP file (if
    that is what you get?) to ..\temp\kodak and then fire up the wizard and
    point it to that location and it should install from there.

    Tony. . .

    "Tom" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks, Tony
    >
    > Unfortunately, when I open the "scanners and camera" wizard, it shows no
    > devices and gives me the option of "add new device". When I click on "add
    > device" and go through the "welcome" screen, I get a screen that says
    > "Scanner and Camera Installation Wizard" on top of screen, and on down the
    > screen, "which camera or scanner do you want to install?", followed by a
    > "Select the manufacturer..." and then a list of drivers to select from.
    > However, it does not list any drivers; it says "(unable to find any

    drivers
    > for this device)". Optionally, I can click "have disk", but I don't have

    and
    > apparently can't get a disk (or anything) from Kodak for a driver-only

    disk.

    > So, I'm stuck here.
    >
    > I've tried everything I can think of, including "update driver" in the
    > device manager, etc., but always get to the "(unable to find any driver

    for
    > this type of device)" sooner or later. Since I can get a driver

    installed, I

    Tony Sperling, Jan 23, 2007