    something that runs from a bootable CD or even a floppy disk? Any
    suggestions?

    parrot33 at hotmail dot com
    Perry Noid, Oct 5, 2008

  2. Perry Noid

    Todd H. Guest

    "Perry Noid" <> writes:

    > just got a call from one of my customers... he can't get into his laptop
    > because his son changed the password and doesn't remember it now. I get one
    > or two calls like this each year from friends and it's usually easier to
    > just rebuild their drive, since it's usually loaded with "junk" anyway. In
    > this case, that's not a good option, so I'd like to find something simple
    > and cheap that will let me either recover or change the password. Maybe
    > something that runs from a bootable CD or even a floppy disk? Any
    > suggestions?
    >
    > parrot33 at hotmail dot com

    If it's teh windows password (and not a BIOS boot password), a
    bootable linux disk with ntpasswd on it works a treat. Allows you to
    change the administrator password of a Windows machine.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/
    Todd H., Oct 5, 2008

  3. Perry Noid

    Perry Noid Guest

    Thanks! I found ntpasswd, downloaded versions for making a bootable CD and
    floppy diskette. I tried the floppy version on my own computer, and it seems
    to work, so I'll probably make the CD to use on his laptop (who has floppy
    drives anymore?)... or perhaps I can get away with using a USB floppy
    drive... have to see. But again, thanks!
    Perry Noid, Oct 6, 2008
  4. Perry Noid

    Todd H. Guest

    "Perry Noid" <> writes:

    > Thanks! I found ntpasswd, downloaded versions for making a bootable CD and
    > floppy diskette. I tried the floppy version on my own computer, and it seems
    > to work, so I'll probably make the CD to use on his laptop (who has floppy
    > drives anymore?)... or perhaps I can get away with using a USB floppy
    > drive... have to see. But again, thanks!

    Glad to help.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/
    Todd H., Oct 6, 2008
  5. Perry Noid

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Sun, 5 Oct 2008 12:26:08 -0500, "Perry Noid" <>
    wrote:

    >just got a call from one of my customers... he can't get into his laptop
    >because his son changed the password and doesn't remember it now. I get one
    >or two calls like this each year from friends and it's usually easier to
    >just rebuild their drive, since it's usually loaded with "junk" anyway. In
    >this case, that's not a good option, so I'd like to find something simple
    >and cheap that will let me either recover or change the password. Maybe
    >something that runs from a bootable CD or even a floppy disk? Any
    >suggestions?
    >
    >parrot33 at hotmail dot com

    For xp boot into safe mode and log in as administrator
    most of the time there is no password set.

    If its the BIOS password that is set, clearing it is non-trivial
    with laptops and you need to consult the manufacturer.

    If its a hard disk password which prevents booting you have
    big problems.

    Its trivial to make a CD which boots linux and allows resetting
    windows passwords, providing you get to the point of booting and
    the security has not been hardened.

    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com