    set it up for me has twice done a manual backup without problems, but it
    doesn't seem to want to work as a scheduled task.

    Thought I'd see if anyone had any ideas before I went back to him again.

    Ashley, Jul 9, 2005

  2. Ashley

    H.O.G Guest

    On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 12:28:59 +1200, "Ashley"
    <> spoke these fine words:

    >Has anyone encountered a problem with Windows backup before, where it will
    >do a manual backup, but not an automated one? I'm backing up to CD, and keep
    >getting the message "D: is not a valid drive or you do not have access" when
    >I come in on Saturday morning to see if it's worked overnight. The guy who
    >set it up for me has twice done a manual backup without problems, but it
    >doesn't seem to want to work as a scheduled task.
    >
    >Thought I'd see if anyone had any ideas before I went back to him again.

    Hmm, could be something to do with the user account (and rights
    assigned to that user) the service or scheduled task that is
    performing the backup is using? That'd be my pick.

    H.O.G, Jul 9, 2005

  3. Ashley

    Ashley Guest

    "H.O.G" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 12:28:59 +1200, "Ashley"
    > <> spoke these fine words:
    >
    >>Has anyone encountered a problem with Windows backup before, where it will
    >>do a manual backup, but not an automated one? I'm backing up to CD, and
    >>keep
    >>getting the message "D: is not a valid drive or you do not have access"
    >>when
    >>I come in on Saturday morning to see if it's worked overnight. The guy who
    >>set it up for me has twice done a manual backup without problems, but it
    >>doesn't seem to want to work as a scheduled task.
    >>
    >>Thought I'd see if anyone had any ideas before I went back to him again.
    >>

    > Hmm, could be something to do with the user account (and rights
    > assigned to that user) the service or scheduled task that is
    > performing the backup is using? That'd be my pick.

    God knows we've gone through everything! However, I'll mention this to him.

    Ashley, Jul 9, 2005
  4. Ashley

    Ashley Guest

    "H.O.G" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 12:28:59 +1200, "Ashley"
    > <> spoke these fine words:
    >
    >>Has anyone encountered a problem with Windows backup before, where it will
    >>do a manual backup, but not an automated one? I'm backing up to CD, and
    >>keep
    >>getting the message "D: is not a valid drive or you do not have access"
    >>when
    >>I come in on Saturday morning to see if it's worked overnight. The guy who
    >>set it up for me has twice done a manual backup without problems, but it
    >>doesn't seem to want to work as a scheduled task.
    >>
    >>Thought I'd see if anyone had any ideas before I went back to him again.
    >>

    > Hmm, could be something to do with the user account (and rights
    > assigned to that user) the service or scheduled task that is
    > performing the backup is using? That'd be my pick.

    Just looking through the backup options tab, there's one, "always allow the
    use of recognizable media without prompting" that isn't ticked on. Should it
    be?

    Ashley, Jul 9, 2005
  5. Ashley

    Tony Guest

    wrote:

    >Has anyone encountered a problem with Windows backup before, where it will
    >do a manual backup, but not an automated one? I'm backing up to CD, and keep
    >getting the message "D: is not a valid drive or you do not have access" when
    >I come in on Saturday morning to see if it's worked overnight. The guy who
    >set it up for me has twice done a manual backup without problems, but it
    >doesn't seem to want to work as a scheduled task.
    >
    >Thought I'd see if anyone had any ideas before I went back to him again.

    May be it only works with a Packet writing..

    The CD has to be formatted first..?

    Tony, Jul 9, 2005
  6. Ashley

    H.O.G Guest

    On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 13:33:40 +1200, Tony
    <> spoke these fine words:

    >On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 12:28:59 +1200, "Ashley" <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Has anyone encountered a problem with Windows backup before, where it will
    >>do a manual backup, but not an automated one? I'm backing up to CD, and keep
    >>getting the message "D: is not a valid drive or you do not have access" when
    >>I come in on Saturday morning to see if it's worked overnight. The guy who
    >>set it up for me has twice done a manual backup without problems, but it
    >>doesn't seem to want to work as a scheduled task.
    >>
    >>Thought I'd see if anyone had any ideas before I went back to him again.

    >May be it only works with a Packet writing..
    >
    >The CD has to be formatted first..?

    If this was the case, the manual backup would have the same problem.

    H.O.G, Jul 9, 2005
  7. Ashley

    H.O.G Guest

    On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 13:21:10 +1200, "Ashley"
    <> spoke these fine words:

    >"H.O.G" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 12:28:59 +1200, "Ashley"
    >> <> spoke these fine words:
    >>
    >>>Has anyone encountered a problem with Windows backup before, where it will
    >>>do a manual backup, but not an automated one? I'm backing up to CD, and
    >>>keep
    >>>getting the message "D: is not a valid drive or you do not have access"
    >>>when
    >>>I come in on Saturday morning to see if it's worked overnight. The guy who
    >>>set it up for me has twice done a manual backup without problems, but it
    >>>doesn't seem to want to work as a scheduled task.
    >>>
    >>>Thought I'd see if anyone had any ideas before I went back to him again.
    >>>

    >> Hmm, could be something to do with the user account (and rights
    >> assigned to that user) the service or scheduled task that is
    >> performing the backup is using? That'd be my pick.

    >Just looking through the backup options tab, there's one, "always allow the
    >use of recognizable media without prompting" that isn't ticked on. Should it
    >be?

    Don't think it would make a difference.

    Two things to try:

    1. Create another backup schedule (for 2 minutes from now). Make it
    the same (ie to the CD), but with only a few files. Use the same user
    account as you have been using.

    2. Repeat, but use an admin user account (eg Administrator) to run the
    task. (DON'T do this in a production environment!).

    3. Repeat, but to somewhere on you hard drive, and using the original
    user account.

    Let me know the success or failure of the above.

    H.O.G, Jul 9, 2005
  8. Ashley

    Ashley Guest

    "Tony" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 12:28:59 +1200, "Ashley" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Has anyone encountered a problem with Windows backup before, where it will
    >>do a manual backup, but not an automated one? I'm backing up to CD, and
    >>keep
    >>getting the message "D: is not a valid drive or you do not have access"
    >>when
    >>I come in on Saturday morning to see if it's worked overnight. The guy who
    >>set it up for me has twice done a manual backup without problems, but it
    >>doesn't seem to want to work as a scheduled task.
    >>
    >>Thought I'd see if anyone had any ideas before I went back to him again.
    >>

    > May be it only works with a Packet writing..
    >
    > The CD has to be formatted first..?

    CD's formatted

    Ashley, Jul 9, 2005
  9. Ashley

    Ashley Guest

    "H.O.G" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 13:21:10 +1200, "Ashley"
    > <> spoke these fine words:

    > 1. Create another backup schedule (for 2 minutes from now). Make it
    > the same (ie to the CD), but with only a few files. Use the same user
    > account as you have been using.
    >
    > 2. Repeat, but use an admin user account (eg Administrator) to run the
    > task. (DON'T do this in a production environment!).
    >
    > 3. Repeat, but to somewhere on you hard drive, and using the original
    > user account.
    >
    > Let me know the success or failure of the above.

    I know that step 3. was the first thing done when setting up the backup, as
    I didn't have any CD-RWs to hand. It certainly worked then. I'll try to
    figure out how to do steps 1 and 2 and report back! To be honest, I don't
    think I have an admin user account on my machine - I'm it! but I'll go
    hunting.

    Ashley, Jul 9, 2005
  10. Ashley

    Richard Guest

    Ashley wrote:

    > I know that step 3. was the first thing done when setting up the backup, as
    > I didn't have any CD-RWs to hand. It certainly worked then. I'll try to
    > figure out how to do steps 1 and 2 and report back! To be honest, I don't
    > think I have an admin user account on my machine - I'm it! but I'll go
    > hunting.

    When I was having a play with packet writing the drive was only visable for
    writing when a user was logged in and had the software running, could this be
    the problem?

    Richard, Jul 9, 2005
  11. Ashley

    Ashley Guest

    "Ashley" <> wrote in message

    > I know that step 3. was the first thing done when setting up the backup,
    > as I didn't have any CD-RWs to hand. It certainly worked then. I'll try to
    > figure out how to do steps 1 and 2 and report back! To be honest, I don't
    > think I have an admin user account on my machine - I'm it! but I'll go
    > hunting.

    As I suspected - I *am* the administrator. There's just me and an unused
    guest account

    Ashley, Jul 9, 2005
  12. Ashley

    Enkidu Guest

    Ashley wrote:

    > Has anyone encountered a problem with Windows backup
    > before, where it will do a manual backup, but not an
    > automated one? I'm backing up to CD, and keep getting
    > the message "D: is not a valid drive or you do not
    > have access" when I come in on Saturday morning to see
    > if it's worked overnight. The guy who set it up for me
    > has twice done a manual backup without problems, but it
    > doesn't seem to want to work as a scheduled task.
    >
    > Thought I'd see if anyone had any ideas before I went
    > back to him again.

    Windows backup (aka NT Backup) does NOT backup to CD. How is
    the backup being done?

    You could backup to disk and then copy the backup to a CD
    somehow I guess.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jul 9, 2005
  13. Ashley

    H.O.G Guest

    On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 14:36:06 +1200, "Ashley"
    <> spoke these fine words:

    >"Ashley" <> wrote in message
    >

    >> I know that step 3. was the first thing done when setting up the backup,
    >> as I didn't have any CD-RWs to hand. It certainly worked then. I'll try to
    >> figure out how to do steps 1 and 2 and report back! To be honest, I don't
    >> think I have an admin user account on my machine - I'm it! but I'll go
    >> hunting.

    >As I suspected - I *am* the administrator. There's just me and an unused
    >guest account

    Ok. And you are using your own credentials for the scheduled backup?

    Do you have a password set for your user account? Scheduled tasks will
    not work with accounts with blank passwords.

    (BTW, as an aside, it is a "Bad Idea" to allow scheduled tasks to run
    on elevated privileges. But as you log in as Admin anyway, it's
    probably not the biggest worry!! ;-)

    H.O.G, Jul 9, 2005
  14. Ashley

    H.O.G Guest

    On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 21:42:26 +1200, Enkidu <>
    spoke these fine words:

    >Windows backup (aka NT Backup) does NOT backup to CD.

    Yes it does, if you are using packet writing software.

    H.O.G, Jul 9, 2005
  15. Ashley

    Ashley Guest

    "H.O.G" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 14:36:06 +1200, "Ashley"
    > <> spoke these fine words:
    >

    >>"Ashley" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >>> I know that step 3. was the first thing done when setting up the backup,
    >>> as I didn't have any CD-RWs to hand. It certainly worked then. I'll try
    >>> figure out how to do steps 1 and 2 and report back! To be honest, I
    >>> don't
    >>> think I have an admin user account on my machine - I'm it! but I'll go
    >>> hunting.

    >>As I suspected - I *am* the administrator. There's just me and an unused
    >>guest account
    >>

    > Ok. And you are using your own credentials for the scheduled backup?
    >
    > Do you have a password set for your user account? Scheduled tasks will
    > not work with accounts with blank passwords.

    Yup. That was one of the first things we did. I think my explanation from my
    later post may be the correct one. We'll see what happens next week!

    Ashley, Jul 9, 2005
  16. Ashley

    PC Guest

    "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    > Ashley wrote:
    > >
    >> Has anyone encountered a problem with Windows backup
    > > before, where it will do a manual backup, but not an
    > > automated one? I'm backing up to CD, and keep getting
    > > the message "D: is not a valid drive or you do not
    > > have access" when I come in on Saturday morning to see
    > > if it's worked overnight. The guy who set it up for me
    > > has twice done a manual backup without problems, but it
    >> doesn't seem to want to work as a scheduled task.
    >>
    >> Thought I'd see if anyone had any ideas before I went
    > > back to him again.
    >>

    > Windows backup (aka NT Backup) does NOT backup to CD. How is the backup
    > being done?
    >
    > You could backup to disk and then copy the backup to a CD somehow I guess.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff
    >
    > --
    >
    > Barzoomian the Martian - http://barzoomian.blogspot.com

    As H.O.G. says, yes you can.

    Must be a Rewritable & use packet writing (InCD & it's ilk)

    Have had 3 clients using this scheme as one of their 3 daily backup
    routines.
    Though 2 have now gone to a zip based utility because MS Backup doesn't
    compress to CDRW (does to tapes because it's built into the
    hardware/firmware/driver).

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Jul 9, 2005
  17. In article <>,
    H.O.G <> wrote:

    >Do you have a password set for your user account? Scheduled tasks will
    >not work with accounts with blank passwords.

    Why should this be? On *nix systems, any valid user ID can have
    scheduled (cron) tasks, and I don't think there's any need to check the
    password before these are automatically run.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 15, 2005
  18. Ashley

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Re: OT cron was windows backup

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > H.O.G <> wrote:
    >

    >>Do you have a password set for your user account? Scheduled tasks will
    >>not work with accounts with blank passwords.

    > Why should this be? On *nix systems, any valid user ID can have
    > scheduled (cron) tasks, and I don't think there's any need to check the
    > password before these are automatically run.

    After reading countless man pages been setting up a Slackware 10.1
    distrubution been using it as a media center, got it doing as much as I
    need but there are some tasks I woullld like to use cron now I have
    /etc/cron.daily
    /etc/cron.hourly
    /etc/cron.monthly
    /etc/cron.weekly

    I guess I put the script in one of those dirs

    not realy to shure what elce I need to put in and permissions

    the command I want to run is

    ntpdate server1.xxx.xx server2.xxx.xx

    thanks in advance

    Robert

    Robert Cooze, Jul 16, 2005
  19. Ashley

    Shane Guest

    On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 08:32:51 +1200, Robert Cooze wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In article <>,
    >> H.O.G <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Do you have a password set for your user account? Scheduled tasks will
    >>>not work with accounts with blank passwords.

    >> Why should this be? On *nix systems, any valid user ID can have
    >> scheduled (cron) tasks, and I don't think there's any need to check the
    >> password before these are automatically run.

    > After reading countless man pages been setting up a Slackware 10.1
    > distrubution been using it as a media center, got it doing as much as I
    > need but there are some tasks I woullld like to use cron now I have
    > /etc/cron.daily
    > /etc/cron.hourly
    > /etc/cron.monthly
    > /etc/cron.weekly
    >
    > I guess I put the script in one of those dirs
    >
    > not realy to shure what elce I need to put in and permissions
    >
    > the command I want to run is
    >
    > ntpdate server1.xxx.xx server2.xxx.xx
    >
    > thanks in advance
    >
    > Robert

    I run ntpdate via cron
    for slackware all you need to do is place a a file into the appropriate
    directory and make executable

    eg
    --Start of script--
    !#/bin/sh
    ntpdate nz.pool.ntp.org nz.pool.ntp.org

    --EOF--

    place that file in /etc/cron.daily
    call it.. date.sh
    chmod a+x date.sh

    restart cron

    HTH

    Shane, Jul 16, 2005
  20. Re: OT cron was windows backup

    In article <>,
    Robert Cooze <> wrote:

    >the command I want to run is
    >
    >ntpdate server1.xxx.xx server2.xxx.xx

    Why not just start xntpd and let it keep your clock up-to-date?

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jul 16, 2005