    I have uninstalled and reinstalled but it does not make a difference. Does
    anyone know a fix or failing that a free replacement?

    Thanks
    M, May 7, 2007

  2. M

    Guest

    "M" <> wrote:

    >I am unable to get the Windows backup utility to start. I am running XP Pro
    >SP2.
    >When I double click
    >
    >C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntbackup.exe
    >
    >nothing happens.

    Here's the deal, if you back up your system with Windows; and lose
    your system, You need to get into windows to restore
    your (you're, Ur?) system. which you can't because you lost your
    system.

    Find a better backup software.

    >When I look in the Process list of Sysinternals Process
    >Explorer the utility is running. If I click on the listing a properties
    >dialog box pops up. If I click on the 'Bring to Front' button I get a
    >message box 'No visible windows found for this process'.
    >
    >I have uninstalled and reinstalled but it does not make a difference. Does
    >anyone know a fix or failing that a free replacement?

    If you really wanna try to fix the problem, go back to Sysinternals
    and download Process Monitor.

    In the menu is Filter - use the filter to exclude everything (maybe
    not explorer). Then Include ntbackup.exe to monitor.

    Start PM, run ntbackup.exe and then wade thru the output looking for
    the fault. (double click on the reg entries to take you to them)

    --
    Once again, it's a Vagina, not a clown car.
    , May 8, 2007

  3. M

    M Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > "M" <> wrote:
    >
    >>I am unable to get the Windows backup utility to start. I am running XP
    >>Pro
    >>SP2.
    >>When I double click
    >>
    >>C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntbackup.exe
    >>
    >>nothing happens.

    > Here's the deal, if you back up your system with Windows; and lose
    > your system, You need to get into windows to restore
    > your (you're, Ur?) system. which you can't because you lost your
    > system.
    >
    > Find a better backup software.
    >
    >>When I look in the Process list of Sysinternals Process
    >>Explorer the utility is running. If I click on the listing a properties
    >>dialog box pops up. If I click on the 'Bring to Front' button I get a
    >>message box 'No visible windows found for this process'.
    >>
    >>I have uninstalled and reinstalled but it does not make a difference.
    >>Does
    >>anyone know a fix or failing that a free replacement?

    > If you really wanna try to fix the problem, go back to Sysinternals
    > and download Process Monitor.
    >
    > In the menu is Filter - use the filter to exclude everything (maybe
    > not explorer). Then Include ntbackup.exe to monitor.
    >
    > Start PM, run ntbackup.exe and then wade thru the output looking for
    > the fault. (double click on the reg entries to take you to them)

    Thanks for your reply. I have done as you have suggested. You wasn't
    kidding when you said wade through the output. Unfortunately there are huge
    numbers of entries in the results column that aren't 'success'.
    I have another XP machine were Windows Backup does work, is their a way to
    clone the programme, dependencies and registry keys? Failing that can you
    recommend an alternative. I have been looking at Cobain Backup.
    M, May 8, 2007
  4. M

    Guest

    "M" <> wrote:

    >>>I have uninstalled and reinstalled but it does not make a difference.
    >>>Does
    >>>anyone know a fix or failing that a free replacement?

    >> If you really wanna try to fix the problem, go back to Sysinternals
    >> and download Process Monitor.
    >>
    >> In the menu is Filter - use the filter to exclude everything (maybe
    >> not explorer). Then Include ntbackup.exe to monitor.
    >>
    >> Start PM, run ntbackup.exe and then wade thru the output looking for
    >> the fault. (double click on the reg entries to take you to them)

    >Thanks for your reply. I have done as you have suggested. You wasn't
    >kidding when you said wade through the output. Unfortunately there are huge
    >numbers of entries in the results column that aren't 'success'.
    >I have another XP machine were Windows Backup does work, is their a way to
    >clone the programme, dependencies and registry keys?

    I usually catch problems with PE or PM, you can replace the dlls

    The system's "KnownDLLs" list
    [F ] e:\windows\system32\ADVAPI32.DLL
    [F ] e:\windows\system32\APPHELP.DLL
    [F ] e:\windows\system32\COMCTL32.DLL
    [F ] e:\windows\system32\COMDLG32.DLL
    [F ] e:\windows\system32\CRYPT32.DLL
    [F ] e:\windows\system32\CRYPTUI.DLL
    [F ] e:\windows\system32\GDI32.DLL
    [F ] e:\windows\system32\IMAGEHLP.DLL
    [F ] e:\windows\system32\KERNEL32.DLL
    [F ] e:\windows\system32\LZ32.DLL
    [F ] e:\windows\system32\MPR.DLL
    [F ] e:\windows\system32\MSASN1.DLL
    [F ] e:\windows\system32\MSVCRT.DLL
    [F ] e:\windows\system32\NETAPI32.DLL
    [F ] e:\windows\system32\NTDLL.DLL
    [F ] e:\windows\system32\OLE32.DLL
    [F ] e:\windows\system32\OLEAUT32.DLL
    [F ] e:\windows\system32\OLECLI32.DLL
    [F ] e:\windows\system32\OLECNV32.DLL
    [F ] e:\windows\system32\OLESVR32.DLL
    [F ] e:\windows\system32\OLETHK32.DLL
    [F ] e:\windows\system32\RPCRT4.DLL
    [F ] e:\windows\system32\SHDOCVW.DLL
    [F ] e:\windows\system32\SHELL32.DLL
    [F ] e:\windows\system32\SHLWAPI.DLL
    [F ] e:\windows\system32\URL.DLL
    [F ] e:\windows\system32\URLMON.DLL
    [F ] e:\windows\system32\USER32.DLL
    [F ] e:\windows\system32\USERENV.DLL
    [F ] e:\windows\system32\VERSION.DLL
    [F ] e:\windows\system32\WININET.DLL
    [F ] e:\windows\system32\WINTRUST.DLL
    [F ] e:\windows\system32\WLDAP32.DLL
    [F ] e:\windows\system32\WOW32.DLL
    and MSJAVA.DLL (which I found I don't have)
    But you would also have to register each, and could be a lot of work.

    I got the list of DLL's With Depends, it's on your Win NT CD under
    support or you can get it here http://www.dependencywalker.com/

    >Failing that can you
    >recommend an alternative. I have been looking at Cobain Backup.

    Wrong person to ask, I don't use a back up program :)
    I have a few partitions of stuff I'd hate to lose - so I just burn
    everything to a CD with Explorer.

    Download Hiren's boot CD
    http://thepiratebay.org/tor/3674903/Hiren_s_BootCD_v9.0_incl._keyboard_patch
    this file is a RAR file that will decompress to an ISO that you would
    burn, then boot up with the CD (keyboard patch isn't needed, no need
    to install) Use www.utorrent.com as your client to download the
    torrent.

    (Install Utorrent - click on download this torrent - Double Click on
    the small file you just got - utorrent will start the download.

    There are a few backup programs included on the CD, find one you like
    and purchase it if you find yourself using it.
    --
    Spam
    http://www.steelcitysfinest.com/Isuzu.htm