windows authentication doesn't work on XP

Discussion in 'MCSD' started by jacksu, Feb 23, 2004.

  1. jacksu

    jacksu Guest

    Dear all,

    I specified
    <authorization>
    <allow users="mymachine\jack"/>
    <deny users="*"/>
    </authorization>

    in the web.config file.

    A login page popup to accept the authentication. But
    whatever I entered in the window, all doesn't work.

    Any suggestion on that?

    Thanks

    Jack

    jacksu, Feb 23, 2004

  2. did you indicate that you'll use Windows authentication method in web.config
    file.

    <authentication mode="Windows" />

    Do Quyet Tien, Feb 24, 2004

  3. jacksu

    jacksu Guest

    Yes, I specified. And the login window did popup. The
    problem here is it never recognize my password.

    jacksu, Feb 24, 2004
  4. >Yes, I specified. And the login window did popup. The
    >problem here is it never recognize my password.

    How is iis configured?

    Are any of the configuration setting (i.e. verbs) which are being
    applied by a higher level configuration file?

    Is mymachine\jack really a domain user account?

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Feb 24, 2004
  5. jacksu

    jacksu Guest

    Thanks for reply.

    mymachine\jack is a Windows XP account.

    I am not sure what involved in IIS setting, and I don't
    know "verbs", would you please point me out whether to
    define the verbs?

    And I only know web.config file is the login configure
    file, I don't know whether there is something else. If
    there is, please tell me.

    Thanks again.

    Jack

    jacksu, Feb 24, 2004
  6. >I am not sure what involved in IIS setting,

    Is your iis app setup for 'intercalated windows authentication'?

    From the iis mmc, bring up the properties window for your web app,
    goto the 'Directory Services Tab', Click 'Edit and ensure the
    intercalated windows authentication option is checked.

    In your case what happens if you allow all users access in your
    config? Do you still get the logon screen?

    >and I don't
    >know "verbs", would you please point me out whether to
    >define the verbs?

    Within the 'allow' (and 'deny') element there is an optional attribute
    called 'verbs' which allows defines which http actions (verbs) can be
    granted (or denied) access to a resource.

    >And I only know web.config file is the login configure
    >file, I don't know whether there is something else. If
    >there is, please tell me.

    Configurations are applied in a hierarchical manner. See the section
    on 'Hierarchical Configuration Architecture' in the msdn

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Feb 24, 2004