    because of the importance of the database structure. So any ideas or
    thoughts?

    thanks.

    Hollywood0728, Feb 27, 2008

  2. You should be able to activate a product key 2 times before needing to call
    it in.

    Are you not using Volume License keys, though?

    MG

    Mostly Gizzards, Feb 27, 2008

  3. No I am not, OEM.

    Hollywood0728, Feb 27, 2008
  4. "Hollywood0728" <> wrote in message

    > No I am not, OEM.
    >

    > "Mostly Gizzards" wrote:
    >
    > > You should be able to activate a product key 2 times before needing to call
    > > it in.
    > >
    > > Are you not using Volume License keys, though?
    > >
    > > MG
    > >
    > > "Hollywood0728" <> wrote in message
    > > > Well here is a subject I can't grasp, not can I stand it! So here's my
    > > > scenario...I have backed up a complete server using Acronis True Image. I
    > > > want to make sure the back up was useable before I try to store it to new
    > > > hardware. I restored it to a Virtural machine to verify the image
    > > > functionality....EXCEPT....it wants me to activate windows before I can
    > > > even
    > > > do anything....I thought for sure i would get one of those 14 days until
    > > > you
    > > > have to activate messages. So my first question is this: Is there any
    > > > work
    > > > around for this just so I can verify that the image is good before I
    > > > restore
    > > > the whole thing to a new piece of hardware? Next question is: When I do
    > > > restore to new hardware and I really have to transfer activation....how do
    > > > do that? Do I need to get on the phone with MS or is there a process? I
    > > > have never had to transfer because usually customers just upgrade their
    > > > hardware and we order with OS ready to go....this is a different situation
    > > > because of the importance of the database structure. So any ideas or
    > > > thoughts?
    > > >
    > > > thanks.

    Seriously, call Acronis first -- not Microsoft.

    Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.], Feb 27, 2008
  5. Microsoft will step you through activation over the phone. I have had to do
    this with XP and Server 2003 numerous times while doing similar testing.
    Activating the restore machine won't hose your production activation.

    Mostly Gizzards, Feb 27, 2008
  6. Truth!

    I would imagine there is some way to strip out the Installation ID during
    the backup procedure so that restoring would allow you to use the OEM
    license key of the new server.

    "Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.]" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Mostly Gizzards, Feb 27, 2008
  7. http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/products/ATISWin/

    Is this the product?

    Mostly Gizzards, Feb 27, 2008
  8. Yes it is.....Why do you ask? Did I not do something right?

    Hollywood0728, Feb 28, 2008
  9. Hollywood0728

    Rutger H. Guest

    Hi Hollywood,

    My guess is that you have already activated Windows on the original machine?

    Windows keeps track of hardware changes to prevent avoiding Windows
    Activation. If not, it would be possible to restore images to an unlimited
    number of machine's with a single product key.

    Since your VM has several virtualized hardware components and possibly
    you're running the virtual machine on different hardware, Windows detects the
    hardware change and is requesting the activation to occur again.

    Since you've been able to succesfully restore the image within your VM you
    can assume that the image you've created is OK. To be a 100% sure you can add
    an empty harddisk to the physical server and restore the image on that. If
    your server boots you can be sure that your image is OK.

    Regards,

    Rutger H.

    Rutger H., Feb 29, 2008