    New home build computer. Genuine Win XP Home edition. Will not let the user
    log on now because Windows has not been activated. Anyway around this? The
    machine is not online and she cannot get through on the 'phone lines.
    JackN, Sep 13, 2004

  2. JackN

    °Mike° Guest

    Pirated copy? No? Then activate it.

    How to activate Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307890

    On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 19:36:33 +0000 (UTC), in
    <ci4ss1$hfv$>
    JackN scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Sep 13, 2004

  3. JackN

    JackN Guest

    Problem solved. She got through to Microsoft on the 'phone.
    JackN, Sep 13, 2004
  4. JackN wrote:

    > Problem solved. She got through to Microsoft on the 'phone.

    The real problem has not been solved: that you have to get permission
    from the computer's real owner (MS) for making those hardware upgrades.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Go Blue
    Blinky the Shark, Sep 13, 2004
  5. JackN

    Mikish Guest

    Blinky the Shark <> impressed us all with the following
    remark:

    > JackN wrote:
    >
    > > Problem solved. She got through to Microsoft on the 'phone.

    > The real problem has not been solved: that you have to get permission
    > from the computer's real owner (MS) for making those hardware upgrades.

    Don't pick on Bill! :)
    Mikish, Sep 13, 2004
  6. JackN

    Timberwolf Guest

    Timberwolf, Sep 13, 2004
  7. JackN

    sqool Guest

    It is alleged that sometime during Mon, 13 Sep 2004 20:46:27 +0000, Blinky
    the Shark wrote this:

    > JackN wrote:
    >
    >> Problem solved. She got through to Microsoft on the 'phone.

    > The real problem has not been solved: that you have to get permission from
    > the computer's real owner (MS) for making those hardware upgrades.

    Crazy isn't it!

    --
    Reclaim your computer!-
    http://linuxnotjustforgeeks.org/
    sqool, Sep 14, 2004
  8. JackN

    Mikish Guest

    "Timberwolf" <> impressed us all with the following
    remark:

    Have you ever heard of anyone *not* being allowed to activate if they had a
    legit copy even after many reinstalls and hardware changes?

    Mikish, Sep 14, 2004
  9. JackN

    Ron Martell Guest

    "Timberwolf" <> wrote:

    >http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,462414,00.asp

    That article is over 2 years old and does not include any of the
    changes to activation that were made in SP1 and SP2.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, Sep 14, 2004
  10. JackN

    DC Guest

    JackN wrote:
    > Problem solved. She got through to Microsoft on the 'phone.

    Damn. I've misplaced Linus' number, again. I sure hope my system
    doesn't shut me out before I finis%@#@&*NO CARRIER

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with Windows.
    DC, Sep 14, 2004
  11. JackN

    sqool Guest

    It is alleged that sometime during Tue, 14 Sep 2004 14:23:03 +0000, DC
    wrote this:

    > JackN wrote:
    >> Problem solved. She got through to Microsoft on the 'phone.

    > Damn. I've misplaced Linus' number, again. I sure hope my system doesn't
    > shut me out before I finis%@#@&*NO CARRIER

    Hm....never mind here's a reboot sig patch:-

    /* Reboot */
    if(ret){
    + int err;
    +
    printf("\n");
    + unblock_signals();
    + disable_timer();
    + err = deactivate_all_fds();
    + if(err)
    + printf("deactivate_all_fds failed, errno = %d+ -err);
    +
    execvp(new_argv[0], new_argv);
    perror("Failed to exec kernel");
    ret = 1;
    [shell] oh fuckit
    [shell] cd /pub
    [shell] more beer

    ;-)

    --
    To mess up a Linux box, you need to work at it;
    to mess up your Windows box, you just need to work on it.
    sqool, Sep 14, 2004
  12. JackN

    Robin Hood Guest

    Re: Windows Activation pushing Linux

    "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    > JackN wrote:
    >
    >> Problem solved. She got through to Microsoft on the 'phone.

    > The real problem has not been solved: that you have to get permission
    > from the computer's real owner (MS) for making those hardware upgrades.
    >
    > --
    > Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    >
    > Go Blue

    Linux is not for most of us.

    Linux is difficult to use. It is written by programmers for programmers. If
    you just want to go on line browse send email, use a word processor, and
    maybe play a few games, then you won't beat windows XP.

    When you buy a PC it comes supplied with an operating system. Very few
    retailers will offer you the option of not buying an operating system and
    most only supply Windows, so unless you buy the parts and build your
    computer you will have paid for the operating system when you bought it, so
    why change to a minority operating system like Linux. it is suppose to be
    free but unless you can download a version that works and successfully
    install it which is unlikely you will have to pay for a set of Linux CD's

    If you get it to install OK, then you may or may not be able to find drivers
    for your printer webcam, scanner etc. take my word for it. It isn't worth
    the aggravation.

    If after reading what I have just typed you still want to go for Linux then
    go for it and good luck to you.
    Robin Hood, Sep 14, 2004
  13. JackN

    sqool Guest

    Re: Windows Activation.

    It is alleged that sometime during Tue, 14 Sep 2004 16:21:43 +0100, Robin
    Hood wrote this:

    > "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    >> JackN wrote:
    >>
    >>> Problem solved. She got through to Microsoft on the 'phone.

    >> The real problem has not been solved: that you have to get permission
    >> from the computer's real owner (MS) for making those hardware upgrades.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    >>
    >> Go Blue

    > Linux is not for most of us.

    Says who?
    http://linuxnotjustforgeeks.org/
    Installing Linux is easy, just watch
    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=6276

    > Linux is difficult to use. It is written by programmers for programmers.

    Rubbish! these days more people are using it on their desktops.

    > If you just want to go on line browse send email, use a word processor,
    > and maybe play a few games, then you won't beat windows XP.

    You can do all that in linux.
    Linux doesn't have viruses, (http://librenix.com/?inode=21,
    http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/188) you don't have to waste time
    defragging it (ReiserFS - http://www.namesys.com/v4/v4.html), there's no
    spyware, & there is no registry to mess up. I can also put it onto as many
    machines as I like, without worrying about licences.

    > When you buy a PC it comes supplied with an operating system. Very few
    > retailers will offer you the option of not buying an operating system
    > and most only supply Windows, so unless you buy the parts and build your
    > computer you will have paid for the operating system when you bought it,
    > so why change to a minority operating system like Linux.

    It's estimated that about 16% of desktops are now linux, & growing. As to
    why retailers only supply Windows, is because M$ will pull discounts if
    manufacturers supply any other OS. Fortunately HP, IBM & some others
    called M$'s bluff & now supply a linux distro pre-installed on PC's.

    > It is suppose to be free but unless you can download a version that
    > works and successfully install it which is unlikely,

    Is it? Why, because *you* can't do it?

    > you will have to pay for a set of Linux CD's

    Which are *still* cheaper than buying M$ ones.

    > If you get it to install OK, then you may or may not be able to find
    > drivers for your printer webcam, scanner etc. take my word for it.

    My machines work just fine, & the hardware is different in each one.
    Although a couple of peripherals aren't officially supported (the
    *manufacturers* don't make the linux drivers for them) they *do* work.

    > It isn't worth the aggravation.
    > If after reading what I have just typed you still want to go for Linux
    > then go for it and good luck to you.

    IMHO, I don't think Blinky *was* pushing linux. However, if you'd read his
    headers, & his sig, you will see he's already using linux (Mandrake, I
    think) as are a few others. :)
    I gave up using M$ years ago, as I got fed up with having to update the
    AV, checking for spyware, have BSODs & freezing.

    Still, if you want to use XP & it suits your needs, that's fine. Stick
    with it. :)

    --
    If we measure our woodlands in hectares
    instead of acres, do we have a metrified forest?
    sqool, Sep 14, 2004
  14. Re: Windows Activation pushing Linux

    Robin Hood wrote:

    > "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    >> JackN wrote:

    >>> Problem solved. She got through to Microsoft on the 'phone.

    >> The real problem has not been solved: that you have to get permission
    >> from the computer's real owner (MS) for making those hardware upgrades.

    >> --
    >> Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    >> Go Blue

    > Linux is not for most of us.

    The Few, The Competent.

    > Linux is difficult to use. It is written by programmers for programmers. If
    > you just want to go on line browse send email, use a word processor, and
    > maybe play a few games, then you won't beat windows XP.

    > When you buy a PC it comes supplied with an operating system. Very few
    > retailers will offer you the option of not buying an operating system and
    > most only supply Windows, so unless you buy the parts and build your
    > computer you will have paid for the operating system when you bought it, so
    > why change to a minority operating system like Linux. it is suppose to be
    > free but unless you can download a version that works and successfully
    > install it which is unlikely you will have to pay for a set of Linux CD's

    > If you get it to install OK, then you may or may not be able to find drivers
    > for your printer webcam, scanner etc. take my word for it. It isn't worth
    > the aggravation.

    > If after reading what I have just typed you still want to go for Linux then
    > go for it and good luck to you.

    Couldn't handle it, right? :)

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 14, 2004
  15. Howdy!

    "Mikish" <> wrote in message
    > "Timberwolf" <> impressed us all with the following
    > remark:
    >
    > > http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,462414,00.asp

    > Have you ever heard of anyone *not* being allowed to activate if they had

    > legit copy even after many reinstalls and hardware changes?

    No, but I got a royal ring-around-the-maypole the last time Office
    XP decided it needed reactivation.

    So I now run Office 2000 at the house, and OpenOffice anywhere I do
    a new install at ...

    RwP
    Ralph W. Phillips, Sep 14, 2004
  16. JackN

    Robin Hood Guest

    Re: Windows Activation pushing Linux

    "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    <snip>
    > Couldn't handle it, right? :)

    Something like that :)

    Can't be bothered to argue the points with sqool.
    --
    Robin Hood Registered XP User (No number)

    :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)
    Robin Hood, Sep 14, 2004
  17. Re: Windows Activation pushing Linux

    Robin Hood wrote:

    > "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    ><snip>

    [about Robin Hood and Linux]

    >> Couldn't handle it, right? :)

    > Something like that :)

    > Can't be bothered to argue the points with sqool.

    You'd lose, anyway; all you have is FUD.

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 14, 2004
  18. JackN

    Timberwolf Guest

    "Ron Martell" <> wrote in message
    > "Timberwolf" <> wrote:
    >
    >>http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,462414,00.asp
    >>

    > That article is over 2 years old and does not include any of the
    > changes to activation that were made in SP1 and SP2.
    >

    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP
    > On-Line Help Computer Service
    > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    my apologies
    but it does describe the troubles
    Timberwolf, Sep 14, 2004
  19. JackN

    Mikish Guest

    "Ralph W. Phillips" <> impressed us all with the following
    remark:

    > Howdy!
    >
    > "Mikish" <> wrote in message
    > > "Timberwolf" <> impressed us all with the following
    > > remark:
    > >
    > > > http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,462414,00.asp

    > > Have you ever heard of anyone *not* being allowed to activate if they had

    > > legit copy even after many reinstalls and hardware changes?

    > No, but I got a royal ring-around-the-maypole the last time Office
    > XP decided it needed reactivation.
    >
    > So I now run Office 2000 at the house, and OpenOffice anywhere I do
    > a new install at ...
    >
    > RwP

    Not quite the same, but I haven't heard of others hassled for that situation
    either except under questionable circumstances. Personally, I've moved on to
    Office 2003 and like it much better than either 2000 or XP Office, but
    everyone's needs and preferences are different.

    By the way, a handy thing to know about activation hassles and something that
    can also save people lots of money, is to register in Microsoft's Partner
    Program. Those registered can subscribe to "The Microsoft Action Pack
    Subscription" for $399 and get thousands of dollars worth of software with, in
    many cases, multiple licenses.

    There are some restrictions as to who can join the Partner Program, but they
    are pretty easy to meet. I had no problem as a software developer and it is
    also open to IT professionals. As with the more expensive MSDN subscriptions,
    there are virtually NEVER any registration hassles even after multiple
    reloads. This solution isn't for everybody, but it's very handy to know about
    if you use lots of Microsoft software, especially in a small business setting.

    <http://members.microsoft.com/partner/default.aspx>

    Below is a recent listing of licenses included with the package:
    (Other non-licensed software is also included...)

    Product Title
    # of Licenses
    # of Client Access Licenses

    Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition

    Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Web Edition

    Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Terminal Services
    Not Applicable
    10

    Microsoft Exchange 2003 Enterprise Server

    Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition

    Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003

    Microsoft Internet Security and Acceleration Server 2000 Enterprise Edition
    1
    Not Applicable

    Microsoft Mobile Information Server 2002 Enterprise Edition
    1
    Not Applicable

    Microsoft SharePoint Portal Server 2001

    Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    10
    Not Applicable

    Microsoft Office Professional 2003
    10
    Not Applicable

    Microsoft Office FrontPage 2003
    10
    Not Applicable

    Microsoft Office Outlook 2003
    10
    Not Applicable

    Microsoft Office MapPoint 2003
    10
    Not Applicable

    Microsoft Office Visio Professional 2003
    10
    Not Applicable

    Microsoft Office Project Professional 2003
    10
    Not Applicable

    Microsoft Office Publisher 2003
    10
    Not Applicable

    Microsoft Business Solutions CRM Standard Edition

    Mikish
    Mikish, Sep 14, 2004
  20. JackN

    Mikish Guest

    Re: Windows Activation pushing Linux

    "Robin Hood" <> impressed us all with the following remark:

    > "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    > > JackN wrote:
    > >
    > >> Problem solved. She got through to Microsoft on the 'phone.

    > > The real problem has not been solved: that you have to get permission
    > > from the computer's real owner (MS) for making those hardware upgrades.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    > >
    > > Go Blue

    > Linux is not for most of us.
    >
    > Linux is difficult to use. It is written by programmers for programmers. If
    > you just want to go on line browse send email, use a word processor, and
    > maybe play a few games, then you won't beat windows XP.
    >
    > When you buy a PC it comes supplied with an operating system. Very few
    > retailers will offer you the option of not buying an operating system and
    > most only supply Windows, so unless you buy the parts and build your
    > computer you will have paid for the operating system when you bought it, so
    > why change to a minority operating system like Linux. it is suppose to be
    > free but unless you can download a version that works and successfully
    > install it which is unlikely you will have to pay for a set of Linux CD's
    >
    > If you get it to install OK, then you may or may not be able to find drivers
    > for your printer webcam, scanner etc. take my word for it. It isn't worth
    > the aggravation.
    >
    > If after reading what I have just typed you still want to go for Linux then
    > go for it and good luck to you.

    While what you say was once true, Linux has come a long way and is no longer
    just for programmers, nor is it necessarily difficult to install or use. You
    may want to update your opinion of that side of the fence to bring it in line
    with the current state of the Linux operating system.

    Please note that I am a big Microsoft fan and not a Linux user, but I have no
    problem giving credit where it is due, and in my opinion, the Linux community
    has pushed their world into a level of maturity that dispels old myths about
    that environment.
    Mikish, Sep 14, 2004