Windows Activation (Already activated message) /HP NX9105 recovery disks

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mark, Jul 28, 2009.

  1. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Hi to all,

    A friend of mine has a HP NX9105 notebook and recently gave it to someone to
    'sort out'. The helpful person sorting it wiped the HDD and tried to
    install XP etc using recovery disks from another brand/model computer.

    It is all working, however many drivers had to be downloaded from HP to get
    it all going. Product activation (XP Home) worked at the time (so I'm told)
    and updates have been downloaded from Windows Update, including SP2 and
    maybe even SP3.

    The problem is now that the owner has switched the computer on for the first
    time in a while, it's asking to be activated - when he hits whatever button
    it is to activate now, it states that it is already activated and he can go
    no further with it as it still asks to be activated - stuck in a kind of a
    loop.

    My thoughts are that the problem may stem from using restore disks from a
    different computer (any thoughts on this please).

    Anyway, now I've been asked about the problem and how to solve it I've run
    round the internet and not come up with a lot. My suggestion to him would
    be to use the original restore disks, however having searched around it
    seems that some HP notebooks don't come with disks and the restore info is
    on the HDD (Which has been wiped). I would have thought that if he had
    original restore disks he would have given them up to the person who 'sorted
    it out' for him.

    Soooooo.......

    any help would be appreciated....

    Does anyone know a workaround for the 'it's already activated' problem?

    Does anyone know where I may obtain a restore disk/disks for a HP NX9105 if
    this is likely to solve the problem?

    Many thanks,

    Mark

    (Just delete the "-NOSPAM-")
    Mark, Jul 28, 2009

  2. Mark <> pinched out a steaming pile
    of<Slqbm.51297$2>:

    > Hi to all,
    >
    > A friend of mine has a HP NX9105 notebook and recently gave it to

    someone to
    > 'sort out'. The helpful person sorting it wiped the HDD and tried to
    > install XP etc using recovery disks from another brand/model

    computer.

    THat usually dosent work...

    > It is all working, however many drivers had to be downloaded from HP

    to get
    > it all going. Product activation (XP Home) worked at the time (so

    I'm told)
    > and updates have been downloaded from Windows Update, including SP2

    and
    > maybe even SP3.

    Interesting.

    > The problem is now that the owner has switched the computer on for

    the first
    > time in a while, it's asking to be activated - when he hits whatever

    button
    > it is to activate now, it states that it is already activated and he

    can go
    > no further with it as it still asks to be activated - stuck in a kind

    of a
    > loop.

    LULZ! Shoulda used TinyXP if you were going to steal from M$.

    All that shit is taken care of for you.

    Better luck next time.
    Or you could use linux and avoid the legal hassles.

    FYI
    HTH

    §ñühw¤£f, Jul 28, 2009

  3. Mark

    Andy Guest

    wrote:

    > "Mark" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi to all,
    >>
    >> A friend of mine has a HP NX9105 notebook and recently gave it to someone
    >> 'sort out'. The helpful person sorting it wiped the HDD and tried to
    >> install XP etc using recovery disks from another brand/model computer.
    >>

    > what an idiot

    Lol.

    Fix available here:
    http://www.ubuntu.com/GetUbuntu/download

    A.
    --
    Registered Linux User #478766
    Join the Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org/
    Andy, Jul 28, 2009
  4. Mark

    Mark Guest

    > any help would be appreciated....
    >

    > Many thanks,
    >
    > Mark
    >
    > (Just delete the "-NOSPAM-")

    To all who have responded to my request for assistance - Thank you very
    much. I have passed on all your responses to the owner of the computer and
    hopefully he'll be able to get things working (unfortunately I live a few
    hours up the road otherwise I'd be doing it)

    Many thanks,

    Mark.
    Mark, Jul 30, 2009