    --

    To reply to mail remove the obvious from
    the address. BobJ

    Bob Jackson, Sep 24, 2003

  2. Bob Jackson

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Bob Jackson said:

    > Can anyone tell me what the MINIMUM requirements are to run the above when I
    > press CTRL/ALT?DELETE??
    >
    > At the moment I only have about 65% system resources free on start-up and I
    > would love to know exactly what all the crap I have installed is doing to my
    > system.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > BobJ

    65% free on win98 is fair to middling.
    But you only need Explorer and Systray running.

    Brian H¹©, Sep 24, 2003

  3. Bob Jackson

    Ron Nijboer Guest

    Hello Bob,
    Sorry, I cannot give you a straight answer to your question, but when you
    press ctrl/alt/delete the programs will still be there after you restart
    youur computer, is not it? It is your computer but I think 65% of free
    resources is not bad. What programs are you running? And which can you
    dispose of?
    Ron

    "Bob Jackson" <> schreef in
    bericht news:bksdqf$fc9$...

    Ron Nijboer, Sep 24, 2003
  4. Bob Jackson

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Brian H¹© said:

    > Bob Jackson said:
    >
    >> Can anyone tell me what the MINIMUM requirements are to run the above when I
    >> press CTRL/ALT?DELETE??
    >>
    >> At the moment I only have about 65% system resources free on start-up and I
    >> would love to know exactly what all the crap I have installed is doing to my
    >> system.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> BobJ

    > 65% free on win98 is fair to middling.
    > But you only need Explorer and Systray running.

    I forgot to add, that even if you only see these 2 when you do a CAD, it doesn't
    mean they are the *only* programs running, as there are other drivers loaded in
    a normal boot, like modem etc.

    Brian H¹©, Sep 24, 2003
  5. Bob Jackson

    Bob Jackson Guest

    Brian H¹© <> wrote in message

    > 65% free on win98 is fair to middling.
    > But you only need Explorer and Systray running.

    Many thanks - just what I needed

    BobJ

    Bob Jackson, Sep 24, 2003
  6. Bob Jackson

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Bob Jackson said:

    > Brian H¹© <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> 65% free on win98 is fair to middling.
    >> But you only need Explorer and Systray running.
    >>

    > Many thanks - just what I needed
    >
    > BobJ

    You're welcome.

    Brian H¹©, Sep 24, 2003
  7. Bob Jackson

    Buffalo Guest

    "Bob Jackson" <> wrote in message news:bksggg$fke$...

    > Brian H¹© <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > 65% free on win98 is fair to middling.
    > > But you only need Explorer and Systray running.
    > >

    > Many thanks - just what I needed
    >
    > BobJ

    More info below if you want it.
    This is a quote:
    ""Ron Badour said:

    I suspect that the message is misleading you. It may be resources that
    are too low and the only thing you can do is close programs or reboot.
    Here is my standard blurb:

    There are two kinds of system resources: user and graphic device
    interface resources. They are used for such things as managing input
    from the keyboard and mouse, toolbars, icons, graphics, etc. The
    resources are fixed chunks (64 kb) of memory and are unrelated to the
    amount of Ram that is installed. A PC with 512 mb of ram has the same
    resources available as one with 16 mb.

    If your machine starts getting sluggish, the cursor "hops" or you get a
    resources warning, your resources are too low. Shutting down programs
    that are unneeded may help or a reboot may be required. Certain
    programs are resource hogs and once you identify one as such, limit the
    amount of dual tasking that is done and reboot periodically. Reducing
    the amount of programs started at boot will increase the amount of
    resources you start with. This may keep you from running out so quick.

    To cut back on the number of programs starting at boot, check the
    programs themselves for an option not to load. You might have to double
    click an icon in the tray (others might require a right click) and then
    look for preferences or options. If you cannot find an option, look
    for the program in the following start up points and remove the
    reference to it:

    Start up folder on the start menu, the load= and run= lines in the
    win.ini and these registry run keys (use regedit.exe):

    1. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

    2. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

    3. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

    4. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

    5. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
    RunServices

    6. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
    RunServicesOnce

    7. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
    RunOnce\Setup

    There is a freeware program that makes this process a lot easier to
    manage: Startup Manager,
    http://home.ptd.net/~don5408/toolbox/startupcpl/

    You can use msconfig.exe, startup tab, to disable programs; however, by
    doing so, you may lessen its value as a troubleshooting tool. There
    might be some double entries in msconfig--leave those for your AntiVirus
    program and load power profile alone as they are required. If you
    disable an entry in msconfig or remove it from the start up point and
    the program loads again after a reboot, that is an indication that you
    missed an option on the program itself. If you don't know what an entry
    is, check here: http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_index.htm

    --
    Regards

    Ron Badour, MS MVP W98 System
    Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    Knowledge Base Info:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo "

    Buffalo, Sep 24, 2003
  8. Bob Jackson

    Ron Martell Guest

    "Bob Jackson" <>
    wrote:

    >Can anyone tell me what the MINIMUM requirements are to run the above when I
    >press CTRL/ALT?DELETE??
    >
    >At the moment I only have about 65% system resources free on start-up and I
    >would love to know exactly what all the crap I have installed is doing to my
    >system.

    Use Start - Run - MSCONFIG and go to the Startup tab. Compare the
    list of items that are loading at startup with the following checklist
    web sites to see what can be safely dispensed with:

    http://www2.whidbey.com/djdenham/Uncheck.htm
    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.htm
    http://www.3feetunder.com/krick/startlist.htm - has trojan related
    items listed

    Note: Please ensure that you fully understand the purpose of a
    startup item, how and why it was put into the startup, and the
    consequences (if any) of removing it before you make any changes.
    Some items are very important for the proper and safe functioning of
    your computer, including at least one item that is listed twice.

    Disabling an item by unchecking it in MSCONFIG should only be done for
    testing purposes or as a "last resort" when no other way of getting
    rid of the unwanted item can be found.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, Sep 24, 2003
  9. Bob Jackson

    BOBw

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Pare down Start Menu

    Windows XP
    Lanunch Registry Editor
    Back Up Registry
    Go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications
    Right click the Appliucation Key and select NEW l Key
    Name the key the same as the applications executable file
    Right-click your new keyand select New l String Value
    Name the string value NoStartPage
    Do this for each program you do not want to start on Start up
    Close the Registry Editor

    Win 98

    Sart
    Run
    msconfig (in \Windows)
    Click Selective Start up (thired selection left column)
    Click top bar Startup
    Click on those you do not want to start up
    (some are needed however doing one at a time or so and rebooting is best can un-check if you have to reboot in safe mode.

    Bobw

    BOBw, Jul 29, 2006