    256MB DDR.
    40GB HD

    TIA.
    T Soprano, Jan 9, 2005

  2. T Soprano

    Parko Guest

    T Soprano wrote:
    > I have just purchased a Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo A Series Laptop, which came
    > pre-installed with Windows XP. I have some software I use which only runs on
    > Windows 98, so I formatted the Laptop tried reinstalling a tried and tested
    > version of Windows 98SE, it installs ok up until the point where it restarts
    > and then searches for plug and play devices, at which point it just freezes.
    >
    > Is it at all possible for me to have Windows 98 on this laptop and if so
    > how do I do it?
    >
    > The spec of the laptop is:
    >
    > AMD Athlon 2500+
    > 256MB DDR.
    > 40GB HD
    >
    > TIA.

    Probably only with something like VMware. Win98SE will be too old for
    that machine. Try running your proggies in compatability mode.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/appcompat.mspx

    --
    Parko
    Just put on a belt I bought in '83. Still hits the same notch.
    Parko, Jan 10, 2005

  3. T Soprano

    Timberwolf Guest

    "T Soprano" <> wrote in message
    >I have just purchased a Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo A Series Laptop, which came
    > pre-installed with Windows XP. I have some software I use which only runs
    > on
    > Windows 98, so I formatted the Laptop tried reinstalling a tried and
    > tested
    > version of Windows 98SE, it installs ok up until the point where it
    > restarts
    > and then searches for plug and play devices, at which point it just
    > freezes.
    >
    > Is it at all possible for me to have Windows 98 on this laptop and if so
    > how do I do it?
    >
    > The spec of the laptop is:
    >
    > AMD Athlon 2500+
    > 256MB DDR.
    > 40GB HD
    >
    > TIA.

    for dual boot look for this
    http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic/

    As a side note---all stuff that is win 98 i have will run on XP---can you
    give an example prog?
    Timberwolf, Jan 10, 2005
  4. T Soprano

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Timberwolf" <> wrote in message

    | "T Soprano" <> wrote in message
    | >I have just purchased a Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo A Series Laptop, which came
    | > pre-installed with Windows XP. I have some software I use which only
    runs
    | > on
    | > Windows 98, so I formatted the Laptop tried reinstalling a tried and
    | > tested
    | > version of Windows 98SE, it installs ok up until the point where it
    | > restarts
    | > and then searches for plug and play devices, at which point it just
    | > freezes.
    | >
    | > Is it at all possible for me to have Windows 98 on this laptop and if
    so
    | > how do I do it?
    | >
    | > The spec of the laptop is:
    | >
    | > AMD Athlon 2500+
    | > 256MB DDR.
    | > 40GB HD
    | >
    | > TIA.
    | >

    | for dual boot look for this
    | http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic/
    |
    | As a side note---all stuff that is win 98 i have will run on XP---can you
    | give an example prog?

    Same here. The only apps I've run into that don't run on XP are some old
    compiled programs (Borland Turbo Pascal) from DOS days. Apparently, those
    use some direct hardware write methods that are incompatible with Windows.
    (This was custom programmed stuff at work, before I got there.) So I keep
    one old DOS computer chugging away in a back room just for that.
    Toolman Tim, Jan 10, 2005
  5. T Soprano

    elaich Guest

    "T Soprano" <> wrote in

    > I have just purchased a Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo A Series Laptop, which
    > came pre-installed with Windows XP. I have some software I use which
    > only runs on Windows 98, so I formatted the Laptop tried reinstalling
    > a tried and tested version of Windows 98SE, it installs ok up until
    > the point where it restarts and then searches for plug and play
    > devices, at which point it just freezes.

    Win98 is too old to know about drivers for your machine. That doesn't mean
    it won't run on it - it means that you'll have to find Win98 drivers for
    your hardware.

    You might want to reinstall XP and invest in Virtual PC, which will allow
    you to emulate Win98 on the XP machine.
    elaich, Jan 10, 2005
  6. T Soprano

    T Soprano Guest

    "elaich" <> wrote in message news:...
    > "T Soprano" <> wrote in
    >
    > > I have just purchased a Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo A Series Laptop, which
    > > came pre-installed with Windows XP. I have some software I use which
    > > only runs on Windows 98, so I formatted the Laptop tried reinstalling
    > > a tried and tested version of Windows 98SE, it installs ok up until
    > > the point where it restarts and then searches for plug and play
    > > devices, at which point it just freezes.

    > Win98 is too old to know about drivers for your machine. That doesn't mean
    > it won't run on it - it means that you'll have to find Win98 drivers for
    > your hardware.

    I don't mind having to find and install device drivers manually. But I will
    1st need to get past the search for plug and play devices. I thought about
    disabling plug and play in the BIOS, but when I looked I couldn't find the
    option for it, as I would on my desktop pc. The BIOS is - PheonixBIOS 1.09.
    T Soprano, Jan 10, 2005
  7. T Soprano

    Timberwolf Guest

    "T Soprano" <> wrote in message

    > "elaich" <> wrote in message news:...
    >> "T Soprano" <> wrote in
    >>
    >> > I have just purchased a Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo A Series Laptop, which
    >> > came pre-installed with Windows XP. I have some software I use which
    >> > only runs on Windows 98, so I formatted the Laptop tried reinstalling
    >> > a tried and tested version of Windows 98SE, it installs ok up until
    >> > the point where it restarts and then searches for plug and play
    >> > devices, at which point it just freezes.

    >> Win98 is too old to know about drivers for your machine. That doesn't
    >> mean
    >> it won't run on it - it means that you'll have to find Win98 drivers for
    >> your hardware.

    > I don't mind having to find and install device drivers manually. But I
    > will
    > 1st need to get past the search for plug and play devices. I thought
    > about
    > disabling plug and play in the BIOS, but when I looked I couldn't find the
    > option for it, as I would on my desktop pc. The BIOS is - PheonixBIOS
    > 1.09.

    There is a "small" if not significant difference between software and
    hardware. Software was your original problem.
    I have had a look at the manufacturers site---not much help
    http://www.fujitsu-siemens.com/products/mobile/notebooks/amilo_a_7640.html
    when loading with 98se--if it can not find the drivers click
    ignore/whatever --seem to remember you can custom install and leave out the
    plug and pray bit atleast you will know what it refuses to play with.
    I still fail to understand what XP will not run,i have old win95 printers
    and scanners---no problem,ok not the right driver,but they work
    Maybe use the support section in the above link to resolve issues
    Timberwolf, Jan 10, 2005