    turn off the PC which takes at least 2 more minutes at best or just hangs at
    the "Windows is closing down" screen.

    Alan
    Alan, Nov 5, 2003

  2. Alan

    bmoag Guest

    If the machine is slow to post that suggests a hardware and not a software
    issue. Is this an older machine? It may that the memory chips are getting
    funky or something on the motherboard . . .
    bmoag, Nov 6, 2003

  3. Alan

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Alan" <> wrote in

    > Would anyone know why a newly installed Windows 98SE operating system
    > should take 2.5 minutes to get as far as the POST beep and a further
    > minute to get to the desktop? Once loaded the system runs fast enough
    > until its time to turn off the PC which takes at least 2 more minutes
    > at best or just hangs at the "Windows is closing down" screen.

    If it takes 2 and a half minutes to get to the POST beep then your OS is
    completely unrelated.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    DeMoN LaG, Nov 6, 2003
  4. Alan

    Alan Guest

    The machine is six years old a Pentium 2 with 64 meg of RAM 2.5 Gig hard
    drive. I've just put it together for a pensioner who wants to know how to
    use a PC. Once started it works just fine.
    Alan

    Alan, Nov 6, 2003
  5. Alan

    Alan Guest

    "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
    > "Alan" <> wrote in
    >
    > > Would anyone know why a newly installed Windows 98SE operating system
    > > should take 2.5 minutes to get as far as the POST beep and a further
    > > minute to get to the desktop? Once loaded the system runs fast enough
    > > until its time to turn off the PC which takes at least 2 more minutes
    > > at best or just hangs at the "Windows is closing down" screen.

    > If it takes 2 and a half minutes to get to the POST beep then your OS is
    > completely unrelated.
    >
    > --
    > AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
    > email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    > website: under construction
    > email/IM for rates/services

    I'm sorry but I don't understand what you mean by "Unrelated" can you advise
    further please?

    Alan
    Alan, Nov 6, 2003
  6. Alan

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Alan" <> wrote in

    > I'm sorry but I don't understand what you mean by "Unrelated" can you
    > advise further please?

    The order goes:
    <power button>
    BIOS loads and does POST (Power On Self Test).
    BIOS loads operating system (windows in this case).

    If you are saying it takes 2 1/2 minutes before it gets done doing the
    POST, Windows doesn't matter at all. You could theoretically have a
    completely blank hard drive with no OS and it wouldn't change a thing
    during POST. Your problem is either with your BIOS being misconfigured in
    some way (perhaps you have set an option similar to "Enable fast boot",
    sometimes called something like "Skips some POST tests"), or you have a
    hardware problem.

    DeMoN LaG, Nov 6, 2003
  7. Alan

    Jeremy Guest

    64 megs of ram is cutting it very fine, try at least doubling it.
    JJ

    Jeremy, Nov 6, 2003
  8. Alan

    Plato Guest

    Alan wrote:

    > Would anyone know why a newly installed Windows 98SE operating system should
    > take 2.5 minutes to get as far as the POST beep and a further minute to get

    The time before the post beep has NOTHING to do with what OS you use.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Nov 6, 2003
  9. Alan

    mark mandell Guest

    "Alan" <> wrote in message
    > Would anyone know why a newly installed Windows 98SE operating system

    should
    > take 2.5 minutes to get as far as the POST beep and a further minute to

    get
    > to the desktop? Once loaded the system runs fast enough until its time to
    > turn off the PC which takes at least 2 more minutes at best or just hangs

    at
    > the "Windows is closing down" screen.
    >
    > Alan

    When this happened to me about three months ago, it turned out to be the
    hard drive gone bad. You should check in the Device Manager to see if
    there are any yellow exclamation marks next to the primary or secondary IDE
    controllers which might point to the hard drive as being faulty. And all
    the more so if you find that you can't write anything to the drive as I did.

    Mark Mandell
    mark mandell, Nov 7, 2003
  10. Alan

    Professor Guest

    It depends on what you have in the start menu. Go to start "run" and type
    msconfig and see if there are things in the bootup menu that can be
    eliminated. The sort of thing that slows the boot down are things like
    Yahoo chat or anything else that might end up on the toolbar.

    Professor, Nov 8, 2003
  11. Alan

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    In news:bohoel$80u8$,
    Professor <> wrote these words:

    | It depends on what you have in the start menu. Go to start "run" and
    | type msconfig and see if there are things in the bootup menu that can
    | be eliminated. The sort of thing that slows the boot down are things
    | like Yahoo chat or anything else that might end up on the toolbar.

    No, no, no. The OP should sort the first problem out before he worries
    about playing around in MSCONFIG.

    As already pointed out by others, taking 2.5 minutes to complete POST
    has nothing whatsoever to do with Windows - it suggests either a
    hardware problem, or a BIOS mis-configuration.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, Nov 8, 2003