Windows 98se start up error message

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by ECLiPSE 2002, Jul 3, 2003.

  1. ECLiPSE 2002

    ECLiPSE 2002 Guest

    When windows started a popup window appeared that said something
    like..." Command in autoexec.bat requires MD-DOS compatibilty mode.
    This reduces windows overall perfomance -do you want to remove the
    program?"

    I clicked on more information rather than yes and a performance window
    appeared showing two different problem entries.

    1. Command in autoexec.bat requires MS-DDOS compatibilty mode. It
    stated that windos was unable to identify the specific memory resident
    program that was loaded in your autoexec.bat file. If you no longer
    need this program remove it from your autoexec.bat file. Windows will
    not perform optimally while this program is loaded.
    I went to auto.exex.bat and couldn't see any program that I
    recognized.

    Any suggestions on this problem.

    2. The other entry states...."compatibility mode paging reduces
    overall system performance. Windows was unable to identify a real mode
    driver or memory resident program loaded in youjr Config.sys or
    Autoexec.bat file. You will see another message that list the name of
    the driver or program causing the problem.
    Because windows could not identify the program or driver, it has
    switched to MS-DOS compatibility mode to ensure the program will run.
    this decreases overall performance. To improve performance remove the
    program or driver causing the problem.

    I am somewhat of a novice when it comes to understanding Windows
    problems.

    Could someone advise me how I can best eliminate this performance
    reducing problem. I don't know what program or driver is at fault and
    how to go about identifying it.

    I rebooted the PC in hopes of receiving the error message again to
    again see what the options were but it did not reappear?

    Any advice or guidance would be appreciated.

    Frank

    ECLiPSE 2002, Jul 3, 2003

  2. 1. Rename your C:\Autoexec.bat and C:\Config.sys files with different extensions
    (if they exist.) You may need to go into Folder Options, View tab, and enable
    "Show All Files", in order to see them.

    2. Use NotePad to open the renamed files and then post the contents here.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP for Windows 9x

    Gary S. Terhune, Jul 3, 2003

  3. ECLiPSE 2002

    °Mike° Guest

    If you do not use Real Mode (DOS) drivers, then config.sys
    and autoexec.bat are not needed, and can be safely renamed.
    If you are unsure whether you need Real Mode drivers, post
    the contents of the two files here, and somebody will be
    able to help more.

    On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 12:37:53 GMT, in
    <>
    ECLiPSE 2002 scrawled:

    --
    STGP, OGPE24HSHD

    °Mike°, Jul 3, 2003
  4. ECLiPSE 2002

    Prof Guest

    You can view your autoexec.bat and config.sys by opening notepad and
    selecting all files instead of txt then go to autoexec.bat in C: and you
    might be able to identify what they are referring to and some expert in this
    group might be able to advise whether to delete it or not.

    Prof, Jul 4, 2003
  5. ECLiPSE 2002

    ECLiPSE 2002 Guest

    many thanks to the responders.:

    here is the renamed ( from C:\Autoexec.tsh.tsh) now called
    C:\Autoexec.new file:

    @echo off
    REM To make a DOS Boot Diskette, see the file C:\DOSBOOT\DOSBOOT.TXT.
    path C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND
    @REM SetPower.exe will initialize the USB Keyboard.
    @c:\windows\system\setpower.exe
    REM .c.
    call c:\dosboot\drivers.bat
    rem - By Windows Setup - mscdex.exe /d:IDECD000 /L:M
    deltree /y c:\windows\temp
    md c:\windows\temp

    Here is the renamed (from C:\Config.tsh) now called C:\Config.new
    file:

    REM To make a DOS boot diskette, see the file c:\DosBoot\DosBoot.txt.

    device=c:\windows\himem.sys /testmem:eek:ff
    dos=high,umb
    buffers=40

    rem The below DOS CD ROM driver is not required to run Windows 98.
    device=c:\cdrom\OakCdRom.sys /D:IDECD000

    Its all Greek to me - hope this gives someone a clue to what is
    causing my problem described below.

    Frank
    On Thu, 3 Jul 2003 06:57:50 -0700, "Gary S. Terhune"
    <> wrote:

    >1. Rename your C:\Autoexec.bat and C:\Config.sys files with different extensions
    >(if they exist.) You may need to go into Folder Options, View tab, and enable
    >"Show All Files", in order to see them.
    >
    >2. Use NotePad to open the renamed files and then post the contents here.

    ECLiPSE 2002, Jul 4, 2003
  6. "ECLiPSE 2002" <> wrote in message

    > many thanks to the responders.:
    >
    > here is the renamed ( from C:\Autoexec.tsh.tsh) now called
    > C:\Autoexec.new file:
    >
    > @echo off

    Hides the execution of the file from the screen---doesnt' show.

    > REM To make a DOS Boot Diskette, see the file C:\DOSBOOT\DOSBOOT.TXT.

    REM or ; (semi-colon) at the beginning of the line cause it to be ignored. The
    above is just an explanatory note.

    > path C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND

    This is the Default Path statement, and it's not needed *provided* the above is
    all the Path statement(s) found here. A Path statement adds a Path to the list
    of places to look for files that are called for--so that the full Path to the
    file doesn't need to be reinterated for evey call. Only one problem: This looks
    to *me* like bad syntax. Not sure it would work if it was really needed.

    Not sure about the @ before the REM, but this, too, is an explanatory note

    > @c:\windows\system\setpower.exe

    See above note. See notes below.

    > REM .c.

    Unless that's actually c: (colon), I guess that's good that it's REMed out--make
    no sense, anyway and might prompt an error.

    > call c:\dosboot\drivers.bat

    This is the big No-No. See notes below.

    > rem - By Windows Setup - mscdex.exe /d:IDECD000 /L:M

    Correctly REMed. See notes below.

    > deltree /y c:\windows\temp
    > md c:\windows\temp

    These two are a very misguided attempt to clear the TEMP folder every time the
    machine starts up. Problem is, when you do it here, in Autoexxec.bat, it can
    screw up a lot of things, like installations that require restarting to finish
    the job. Those finishing jobs are likely to include the use of files that are
    currently located in TEMP, and occur *after* this file is loaded--or would, if
    some dim-wit hadn't just deleted them. Me, I do *not* understand this fetish for
    deleting stuff right and left. Ther's a time and place for everything.

    > Here is the renamed (from C:\Config.tsh) now called C:\Config.new
    > file:
    >
    > REM To make a DOS boot diskette, see the file c:\DosBoot\DosBoot.txt.
    >
    > device=c:\windows\himem.sys /testmem:eek:ff
    > dos=high,umb
    > buffers=40
    >
    > rem The below DOS CD ROM driver is not required to run Windows 98.
    > device=c:\cdrom\OakCdRom.sys /D:IDECD000

    So why is it being loaded?

    Listen, every single thing that was being loaded was only useful in a Pure DOS
    environment--Real Mode drivers to make hardware function for things like Games,
    etc. But when you load them before starting Windows, you may force Windows into
    Real-Mode Compatibility--very slow and crappy. Except that DELTREE TEMP thing,
    but that's just as stupid. Much of this stuff is left over from Win95 days or
    earlier, or belongs in a separate DOSBOOT file that gets used *only* during a
    Reboot to MS DOS Mode procedure--which, I suppose, is where one might think this
    might have come from, if it weren't for other indicators that this is the
    original Autoexec.bat from a copy of Windows 95 or 3.11 that got upgraded to
    Windows 98.

    That DELTREE TEMP thing, though--that was the result of listening to idiots.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP for Windows 9x

    Gary S. Terhune, Jul 4, 2003
  7. ECLiPSE 2002

    °Mike° Guest

    There is nothing in config.sys or autoexec.bat - your config.tsh
    and autoexec.tsh are the originals that have been renamed by
    Windows, and substituted by place holders - that is needed by
    Windows, and as Gary says, it looks like somebody has been
    playing around in there. They are both safe to leave renamed,
    or even deleted if you so wish.

    On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 00:09:45 GMT, in
    <>
    ECLiPSE 2002 scrawled:

    --
    STGP, OGPE24HSHD

    °Mike°, Jul 4, 2003
  8. Slight correction--the "replacement" files are not needed. They, too, should be
    deleted (the ones currently called autoexec.bat and config.sys, and which only
    point to the TSH files.)

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP for Windows 9x

    Gary S. Terhune, Jul 4, 2003
  9. ECLiPSE 2002

    °Mike° Guest

    That's what I said. Both can be deleted.

    On Thu, 3 Jul 2003 20:15:21 -0700, in
    <>
    Gary S. Terhune scrawled:

    --
    STGP, OGPE24HSHD

    °Mike°, Jul 4, 2003
  10. So you did. Wasn't clear to me the first time I read it, <s>. "Correction"
    retracted.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP for Windows 9x

    Gary S. Terhune, Jul 4, 2003
  11. ECLiPSE 2002

    ECLiPSE 2002 Guest

    Thanks so much for the review and input Gary and Mike.
    Unfortunately, guys, I am unable to understand what exactly I should
    do with the renamed Autoexec file and the renamed Config file (both
    renamed from .tsh to .new). It appears from your comments Gary that
    many of the existing lines are either unneeded or incorrect. And may
    be causing performance problems.

    Sorry to be so obtuse, but in simple novice terms which lines can be
    removed or deleted and which should remain in each file?
    ==============================

    Also when I look at my C: drive I find 5 different autoexec files:
    1 Autoexec.001 (opens old version of Windows Media Player ?)
    2. Autoexec.bat (a virus scan file - I have McAfee?)
    3. Autoexec.nai ( a placeholder for Autoexec.bat file)
    4. Autoexec.new (this is the original Autoexec.tsh.tsh I renamed
    Autoexec.new
    5. Autoexec.pss (another placeholder for autoexec.bat)

    When I look at Config files I also find 3 different ones:
    1. Config.new ( this was renamed from Config.tsh)
    2. Config.pss (appears identical to Config.new)
    3. Config.sys (a placeholder for Config.tsh - now called Config.new)

    What should I do with these redundant files? And is there a problem
    with the placeholder files that point to Autoexec.tsh and Config.tsh
    which no longer exist, now that they have been renamed to Autoexec.new
    and Config.new?

    I apprecaite your patience with my lack of understanding and the need
    to simplify your recommendations and instructions. I am a senior
    citizen trying my best to comprehend your advice.

    Frank

    ECLiPSE 2002, Jul 4, 2003
  12. 1. Autoexec.001--probably a backup of your old version from previous system,
    made during upgrading to Win98--or from a reinstall over the existing system--or
    put there by OEM installer. Get rid of it. (If it opens with Windows Media
    Player upon double-clicking, that's a different issue, a nonsense filetype
    association you should probably delete from the Registry--but basically
    harmless.)

    2. Autoexec.bat--That's the real thing, and it is *not* a McAfee virus scan
    file! You have, again, a screwed-up filetype association, and that should be
    fixed. We'll deal with that in a minute. This file *should be*, at this time, a
    placeholder file. Open it in NotePad and it should reference the TSH version of
    the file and not contain any real commands.

    3. Autoexec.nai is a backup copy created before some Network Associates Inc.
    program made changes to autoexec.bat.

    4. As you noted, this *was* autoexec.TSH, your real autoexec.bat, renamed by
    MSCONFIG in order to disable it.

    5. Autoexec.PSS is a backup created by clicking on Backup in MSCONFIG.

    So... *.nai, *.pss and *.001 are probably garbage--but if you want to move them
    somewhere else until someone with patience can check them out and analyze any
    hidden gems of information contained therein, go ahead. But get them out of the
    C:\{root} directory. (if you want to post them here, for the fun of it, go
    ahead.)

    At some point, you want to either go into Folder Options, FileTypes tab and
    remove the 001 filetypes, or delete it directly from the Registry. But it's a
    nuisance issue, nothing more.

    Now, right-click Autoexec.bat. Does it have Open, followed by Edit? Does
    clicking on Edit open the file in NotePad?

    Config set of files is more straight-forward. Config.new *was* config.tsh before
    you renamed it. That *was* config.sys before MSCONFIG renamed it and then
    created config.sys to let the system know what it had done with the real
    config.sys. Config.pss is, again, a backup copy made with the Backup button in
    MSCONFIG.

    The characters following a <dot> in a filename (usually three), are called
    extensions. Extensions, besides being part of the name (if I call config.sys, I
    want config.sys, not config.tsh) extensions usually, but not always, have
    "associations". Associations allow you to interact with the file directly. They
    usually have a "default action"--what happens when you double-click the file.
    Associations also provide the right-click "context" menu items (thought most
    items there are there for all files.) In the case of *.BAT files, the correct
    default action is to launch COMMAND.COM to read the file and execute the
    commands contained within. If you right-click the file, then click Open, same
    thing. If you right-click then click Edit, it should open the file in NotePad
    for Editing, etc. The filetype also include a Name, though if there is not
    association for that file, Windows provide one--an unassociated DAT file, for
    instance, would be called by Windows "DAT File".

    It's all very complicated, but the fact that Windows is calling a BAT file a
    McAfee Virus Scan file is troubling. I should think it needs fixing, but it's
    tricky and can quickly cause more problems if not done correctly. I'll think
    about it, but I'm fairly certain you need to have someone with a good Win98
    system provide you with a REG file to fix it.

    Rename that file, in any case, to Autoexec.BAD, and rename, too, the Config.sys
    file to Config.OLD. You will then have a system free of either file in any
    operating sense of the word. You need to see if someone with a good system can
    help you with the BAT filetype issue, and I would probably create a new folder,
    C:\GOOF, and move *all* of those files there.

    Gary S. Terhune, Jul 4, 2003
  13. UK RESIDENTS ONLY

    For UK residents who wish to make huge savings in their

    Home Utilities. Telephone / Internet charges, Gas & Electricity Bills

    Ever Increasing Internet Shopping Store.

    Agents required urgently.

    For further information please visit

    www.telecomplus.org.uk/544414

    keith_project21, Jul 5, 2003
  14. ECLiPSE 2002

    Jimchip Guest

    Spam report id 323145142 sent to:

    (lifted from /. Posted by jamie.)

    Jimchip, Jul 5, 2003
  15. Comments Inline. I comment on a section *afterwards*. In other words, the
    comments refer to the section(s) above, not to anything found below them.

    Be sure to read the ending paragraphs at bottom.

    > On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 02:32:32 +0000 (UTC), "keith_project21"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > So... *.nai, *.pss and *.001 are probably garbage--but if you want to
    > move them somewhere else until someone with patience can check them
    > out and analyze any hidden gems of information contained therein, go
    > ahead. But get them out of the C:\{root} directory. (if you want to
    > post them here, for the fun of it, go ahead.)

    > Frank wrote on Sat, July5 -
    >
    > Here are the Autoexec and Config files that are presently in my C:root
    > directory. Hope this will help in determining what can be deleted,
    > renamed or moved.
    > Also it may help determine what lines in the needed autoexec and
    > config files can be removed to eliminate the DOS compatiblity mode
    > problem that Gary and Mike addressed, but whose instructions I didn't
    > fully understand:
    >
    > AUTOEXEC.001
    > cannot open in Notepad - when this file is double clicked it opens an
    > old version of Microsoft WMP and then an WMP error that says Cannot
    > play back the file - format not supported.

    You need to open NotePad, then open this file *in* NotePad. Don't double-click
    it.
    Also, do this right now. In Windows Explorer, either in the View menu or in the
    Tools menu, go to Folder Options. On the FileTypes tab, find the one called
    ..001, and delete it.

    > AUTOEXEC.BAT:
    >
    > @ECHO OFF
    > rem
    > rem *** DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE! ***
    > rem
    > rem This file was created by the System Configuration Utility as
    > rem a placeholder for your AUTOEXEC.BAT file. Your actual
    > rem AUTOEXEC.BAT file has been saved under the name AUTOEXEC.TSH.
    > rem
    >

    > @SET CLASSPATH=C:\PROGRA~1\PHOTOD~1.0\ADOBEC~1
    >
    > C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\NETWOR~1\VIRUSS~1\40~1.XX\scan.exe c:\
    > @IF ERRORLEVEL 1 PAUSE

    This is the file that would be re-enabled if you go into MSCONFIG and clicked
    Normal Startup, then OK. It was created when the real Autoexec.bat was renamed
    to Autoexec.TSH, when you used MSCONFIG to disable the Autoexec.bat file
    entirely on the General tab. However, after you did that, you installed or used
    the program's configuration settings (not MSCONFIG) to re-enable two programs
    (at least.) One was from Adobe, and the other was from Network Associates Inc.
    McAfee Antivirus, if I'm not mistaken.

    > AUTOEXEC.NAI:
    >
    > @ECHO OFF
    > rem
    > rem *** DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE! ***
    > rem
    > rem This file was created by the System Configuration Utility as
    > rem a placeholder for your AUTOEXEC.BAT file. Your actual
    > rem AUTOEXEC.BAT file has been saved under the name AUTOEXEC.TSH.
    > rem
    >

    > @SET CLASSPATH=C:\PROGRA~1\PHOTOD~1.0\ADOBEC~1

    You used MSCONFIG to create a TSH file, leaving this as Autoexec.bat. Then you
    installed something from Adobe, which edited it directly. You then installed the
    Network Associates software, which created this as a backup, before creating the
    current Autoexec.bat.

    > AUTOEXEC.NEW:
    > @echo off
    > REM To make a DOS Boot Diskette, see the file C:\DOSBOOT\DOSBOOT.TXT.
    > path C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND
    > @REM SetPower.exe will initialize the USB Keyboard.
    > @c:\windows\system\setpower.exe
    > REM .c.
    > call c:\dosboot\drivers.bat
    > rem - By Windows Setup - mscdex.exe /d:IDECD000 /L:M
    > deltree /y c:\windows\temp
    > md c:\windows\temp

    This *was* your autoexec.bat, before all the fun began. (Leaving aside
    consideration of teh 001 file.)

    > AUTOEXEC.PSS:
    >
    > @ECHO OFF
    > rem
    > rem *** DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE! ***
    > rem
    > rem This file was created by the System Configuration Utility as
    > rem a placeholder for your AUTOEXEC.BAT file. Your actual
    > rem AUTOEXEC.BAT file has been saved under the name AUTOEXEC.TSH.
    > rem
    >
    > C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\NETWOR~1\VIRUSS~1\40~1.XX\scan.exe c:\
    > @IF ERRORLEVEL 1 PAUSE
    >

    > @SET CLASSPATH=C:\PROGRA~1\PHOTOD~1.0\ADOBEC~1

    This is a file created by clicking on Backup in MSCONFIG. Quite recently, too,
    since it's a backup of your current Autoexec.bat.

    > CONFIG.NEW:
    >
    > REM To make a DOS boot diskette, see the file c:\DosBoot\DosBoot.txt.
    >
    > device=c:\windows\himem.sys /testmem:eek:ff
    > dos=high,umb
    > buffers=40
    >
    > rem The below DOS CD ROM driver is not required to run Windows 98.
    > device=c:\cdrom\OakCdRom.sys /D:IDECD000

    This is your original Config.sys, renamed to Config.TSH when you disabeld it in
    MSCONFIG, then renamed to NEW by you.

    ---------------------
    > CONFIG.PSS
    >
    > REM To make a DOS boot diskette, see the file c:\DosBoot\DosBoot.txt.
    >
    > device=c:\windows\himem.sys /testmem:eek:ff
    > dos=high,umb
    > buffers=40
    >
    > rem The below DOS CD ROM driver is not required to run Windows 98.
    > device=c:\cdrom\OakCdRom.sys /D:IDECD000

    This is a backup created in MSCONFIG of the original Config.sys, before it was
    disabled.

    -------------------------
    > CONFIG.SYS
    >
    > rem
    > rem *** DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE! ***
    > rem
    > rem This file was created by the System Configuration Utility as
    > rem a placeholder for your CONFIG.SYS. Your actual CONFIG.SYS
    > rem file has been saved under the name CONFIG.TSH.
    > rem

    This is a placeholder file created by MSCONFIG. If you use MSCONFIG right now to
    re-enable Config.sys on teh General tab, this one disappears, and the current
    Config.TSH gets renamed to Config.sys

    ------------------------

    > Thanks once again for the input and advice everyone.
    >
    > Frank

    You're welcome, Frank. As for what to do next--

    1. *Move* all of the Autoexec.* and Config.* files to a new folder on C:\.
    2. *Copy* Config.tsh back to C:\, then rename it Config.sys
    3. *Copy* Autoexec.bat back to C:\, then right-click it, Edit.
    4. Use Ctrl-A to Select All, then Delete.
    5. Copy the four lines below into the file, then Save it and close. Note: I
    don't *think* these lines will wrap, but there are four only. If you end up with
    five, go to the end of line three and hit delete once. Assuming that brings the
    next line up to the cursor at the end of line three, and there are no spaces
    there, you've got it.

    @echo off
    SET CLASSPATH=C:\PROGRA~1\PHOTOD~1.0\ADOBEC~1
    C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\NETWOR~1\VIRUSS~1\40~1.XX\scan.exe c:\
    IF ERRORLEVEL 1 PAUSE

    Good luck!

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP for Windows 9x

    Gary S. Terhune, Jul 5, 2003
  16. ECLiPSE 2002

    ECLiPSE 2002 Guest

    Much obliged for the detailed and easy to follow instructions - even a
    senior like me finally got it right. I think.

    BTW what are your thoughts on the following "bare bones" autoexec that
    another poster suggested. What are the merits in your opinion:

    @ECHO OFF
    SET TEMP=%winbootdir%\TEMP
    SET TMP=%winbootdir%\TEMP
    SET PATH=%winbootdir%;%winbootdir%\COMMAND

    Frank

    ECLiPSE 2002, Jul 6, 2003
  17. ECLiPSE 2002

    ECLiPSE 2002 Guest

    Gary,
    Again thanks for the insights. Sorry about the inane and irrelevent
    posts that followed - some folks have too much time on their hands I
    guess.

    Frank

    ECLiPSE 2002, Jul 7, 2003
  18. Don't worry about it. It's not your fault, and I'm not seeing most of it, <s>.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP for Windows 9x

    *Recommended Help Sites*
    http://www.dts-l.org
    http://www.mvps.org
    http://www.aumha.org

    How to Use the Microsoft Product Support Newsgroups
    http://support.microsoft.com/?pr=newswhelp

    Gary S. Terhune, Jul 7, 2003
  19. Another possibility, if you are getting this message after a fresh restart of
    your machine:

    Edit Autoexec.bat to and put semi-colons in front of the last two lines
    (comments them out--they don't run.) I don't *think* this is what's happening,
    but...worth a try.

    Gary S. Terhune, Jul 7, 2003
  20. ECLiPSE 2002

    ECLiPSE 2002 Guest

    Gary,
    Thanks for responding again.

    Gary asked .... "Returning to Windows from MS-DOS".... What's that?
    Does this error only appear after you use "Restart in MS-DOS mode", or
    run a program that does same?

    The first time this happened earlier last week it was following a
    lockup that required a power off shutdown. When I rebooted windows I
    got the performance warning. This time I was doing monthly maintenance
    tasks - one of which must be run in DOS (Scan Reg). I got the
    performance warning this time after I returned to windows from DOS by
    typing win in the prompt.

    After I followed your advice on moving the unneeded autoexec and
    config files and redoing the autoexec.bat and config.sys, I did not
    get the performance warning when starting windows from a fresh start.
    Only this am after going to DOS and returning to windows.
    Perhaps I did not exit DOS properly - just typed win in at prompt.
    Did not get the warning when I restarted windows just now either.

    I will await following your second message instructions until after
    you have read and responded to this message.

    Frank

    ECLiPSE 2002, Jul 8, 2003