Windows 98SE looks for Spybot in the wrong place

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by DemoDisk, Sep 18, 2007.

  1. DemoDisk

    DemoDisk Guest

    Hi, all;

    This started several weeks ago, when I was running SCANDISK from Safe
    mode (as recommended here). If I attempt to use the USB mouse to
    navigate or select, Safe mode goes nuts, opening apps, dialog boxes
    wherever the cursor travels. Somewhere in that mess, Win98SE was told to
    check for Spybot first on the A: drive. I think.

    Now when I double-click on Spybot S&D for update or a system scan, the
    system first polls the A: drive once, then again quickly several times.
    Then it opens normally.

    I've checked in Spybots settings and Properties, but I don't see
    anything telling it to try A: before it checks the C: drive, and I don't
    know how to make it stop polling A:

    Please help, and I hope it's an easy question.

    Thanks,
    JPM

    DemoDisk, Sep 18, 2007

  2. DemoDisk

    penguin676 Guest

    DemoDisk wrote:
    >Hi, all;
    >
    >This started several weeks ago, when I was running SCANDISK from Safe
    >mode (as recommended here). If I attempt to use the USB mouse to
    >navigate or select, Safe mode goes nuts, opening apps, dialog boxes
    >wherever the cursor travels. Somewhere in that mess, Win98SE was told to
    >check for Spybot first on the A: drive. I think.
    >
    >Now when I double-click on Spybot S&D for update or a system scan, the
    >system first polls the A: drive once, then again quickly several times.
    >Then it opens normally.
    >
    >I've checked in Spybots settings and Properties, but I don't see
    >anything telling it to try A: before it checks the C: drive, and I don't
    >know how to make it stop polling A:
    >
    >Please help, and I hope it's an easy question.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >JPM

    Greetings;

    I have the same thing happening. I also have Win98SE and starting a few
    weeks ago when I open Spybot S&D it looks at the A: drive first. I just
    figured there was something in one of their updates that was making it
    do that.

    If you find out any more info post back here and let us know.

    Penguin must run. Have cookie will travel.
    -Chris

    penguin676, Sep 20, 2007

  3. DemoDisk

    DemoDisk Guest

    "penguin676" <> wrote in message

    > I have the same thing happening. I also have Win98SE and starting a

    few
    > weeks ago when I open Spybot S&D it looks at the A: drive first. I

    just
    > figured there was something in one of their updates that was making it
    > do that.
    >
    > If you find out any more info post back here and let us know.
    >
    > Penguin must run. Have cookie will travel.
    > -Chris

    Thanks, Chris. I didn't think I'd get an answer after 2 days! I'm
    trying the AV newsgroups as well. May be some luck there.

    Do you get the same weird Safe mode stuff? Where any cursor motion
    triggers windows and dialog boxes everywhere?

    JPM

    DemoDisk, Sep 21, 2007
  4. DemoDisk

    penguin676 Guest

    DemoDisk wrote:
    >"penguin676" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> I have the same thing happening. I also have Win98SE and starting a

    >few
    >> weeks ago when I open Spybot S&D it looks at the A: drive first. I

    >just
    >> figured there was something in one of their updates that was making it
    >> do that.
    >>
    >> If you find out any more info post back here and let us know.
    >>
    >> Penguin must run. Have cookie will travel.
    >> -Chris

    >Thanks, Chris. I didn't think I'd get an answer after 2 days! I'm
    >trying the AV newsgroups as well. May be some luck there.
    >
    >Do you get the same weird Safe mode stuff? Where any cursor motion
    >triggers windows and dialog boxes everywhere?
    >
    >JPM

    Greetings;

    No, I'm not getting any other issues. I update Spybot in Normal mode
    and then boot to Safe mode to do the scanning...I've never had any
    strange cursor action. Sorry I can't help you with that. :)

    penguin676, Sep 22, 2007