    NTFS partition . Gonna do a clean install of win xp on a NTFS partition but
    using Ghost I am gonna back up and then restore some files from my windows
    98se fat32 afterwards .

    Chuck S, Jan 26, 2004

  2. Chuck S

    philo Guest

    "Chuck S" <> wrote in message
    news:Y8gRb.15439$...
    > Can I back up windows 98se on a fat32 partition and then restore it to a
    > NTFS partition . Gonna do a clean install of win xp on a NTFS partition

    but
    > using Ghost I am gonna back up and then restore some files from my windows
    > 98se fat32 afterwards .

    although win98 will *not* work on an NTFS partition
    any data files you had on that partition will be perfectly good on an NTFS
    partition.

    using Norton's Ghost Explorer (or whatever it;s called) you should be able
    just "pull" the files from it.

    philo, Jan 26, 2004

  3. Chuck S

    Chuck S Guest

    Yes .......... I was thinking that I could using Ghost just drag over My
    Documents and other data files to my new xp install. I was hoping as well
    that I could also do the same with my outlook express Identify folders . I
    wanted to just do a full back up and then upgrade from 98 to xp and then
    back up that setup then format and do a clean xp install from scratch and
    then drag over my programs folder and my registry but I seem to be having
    problems with the upgrading and it may be faster to just do a full clean
    install and then drag over My Documents from there to atleast save those .

    Chuck S, Jan 26, 2004
  4. Chuck S

    Martik Guest

    On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 18:13:48 -0500, Chuck S wrote:

    > Yes .......... I was thinking that I could using Ghost just drag over My
    > Documents and other data files to my new xp install.

    Use explorer

    I was hoping as well
    > that I could also do the same with my outlook express Identify folders .

    create oe folders on your backup partition and DRAG the mail headers
    there.

    > wanted to just do a full back up and then upgrade from 98 to xp and then
    > back up that setup then format and do a clean xp install from scratch
    > and then drag over my programs folder and my registry but I seem to be
    > having problems with the upgrading and it may be faster to just do a
    > full clean install and then drag over My Documents from there to atleast
    > save those . "philo" <> wrote in message

    Never do an update, always clean install to a freshly formated partition.
    You can't drag over programs because they usually install parts
    of themselves in many places - DLL's, start menu, registry etc - just
    reinstall your apps. don't forget to save your IE favorites.

    Consider saving all your data in a different partition than XP then you
    won't have to backup when you reinstall xp.

    Martik, Jan 27, 2004