Windows 98SE burner software

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by TJ, Aug 13, 2007.

  1. TJ

    TJ Guest

    I use a dual-boot setup with Mandriva 2007 Linux and Windows 98SE. Linux
    performs most of what I need a computer very well indeed, but there are
    still a couple of programs that I need Windows for. I just purchased an
    OEM-packaged DVD burner, an LG GSA-H54N from NewEgg. It seems like a
    great little burner, and Linux accepted it and used it without
    additional software.

    Windows was a different story. My old burner software, Nero 5.5, worked
    fine with my CD burner, but won't recognize the new burner. I'm not
    surprised, since it's several years old after all. I see from the Ahead
    Nero site that the latest version of Nero requires Windows 2000 and
    above - and I have no desire to get a different version of Windows.

    I probably won't do much burning with the new burner in Windows, but I'd
    like it to be able to function, at least. I'm looking for burning
    software that will work with my new drive on Windows 98SE. It would be
    nice if it was free, but a used, older version of Nero or Roxio would be
    OK. So, I guess I'm asking two questions:

    1. What free burner software is available that still supports Windows
    98SE and will support the LG GSA N54N?

    2. What are the highest versions of Nero and Roxio that will work with
    Windows 98 SE?

    Please, please, no discussions on Windows vs. Linux. That's not what
    this is about, and I don't want to start some flame war. If I wanted to
    do that, I'd have put this post on a Windows group.

    Thanks in advance,

    TJ

    TJ, Aug 13, 2007

  2. TJ

    sandy58 Guest

    On Aug 13, 2:06 pm, TJ <> wrote:
    > I use a dual-boot setup with Mandriva 2007 Linux and Windows 98SE. Linux
    > performs most of what I need a computer very well indeed, but there are
    > still a couple of programs that I need Windows for. I just purchased an
    > OEM-packaged DVD burner, an LG GSA-H54N from NewEgg. It seems like a
    > great little burner, and Linux accepted it and used it without
    > additional software.
    >
    > Windows was a different story. My old burner software, Nero 5.5, worked
    > fine with my CD burner, but won't recognize the new burner. I'm not
    > surprised, since it's several years old after all. I see from the Ahead
    > Nero site that the latest version of Nero requires Windows 2000 and
    > above - and I have no desire to get a different version of Windows.
    >
    > I probably won't do much burning with the new burner in Windows, but I'd
    > like it to be able to function, at least. I'm looking for burning
    > software that will work with my new drive on Windows 98SE. It would be
    > nice if it was free, but a used, older version of Nero or Roxio would be
    > OK. So, I guess I'm asking two questions:
    >
    > 1. What free burner software is available that still supports Windows
    > 98SE and will support the LG GSA N54N?
    >
    > 2. What are the highest versions of Nero and Roxio that will work with
    > Windows 98 SE?
    >
    > Please, please, no discussions on Windows vs. Linux. That's not what
    > this is about, and I don't want to start some flame war. If I wanted to
    > do that, I'd have put this post on a Windows group.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > TJ

    Alcohol120%
    RecordNow
    Ashampoo Burning Studio
    BlindWrite
    DVD-Cloner & many more.

    sandy58, Aug 14, 2007

  3. TJ

    gerry Guest

    On Aug 13, 9:06 am, TJ <> wrote:
    > I use a dual-boot setup with Mandriva 2007 Linux and Windows 98SE. Linux
    > performs most of what I need a computer very well indeed, but there are
    > still a couple of programs that I need Windows for. I just purchased an
    > OEM-packaged DVD burner, an LG GSA-H54N from NewEgg. It seems like a
    > great little burner, and Linux accepted it and used it without
    > additional software.
    >
    > Windows was a different story. My old burner software, Nero 5.5, worked
    > fine with my CD burner, but won't recognize the new burner. I'm not
    > surprised, since it's several years old after all. I see from the Ahead
    > Nero site that the latest version of Nero requires Windows 2000 and
    > above - and I have no desire to get a different version of Windows.
    >
    > I probably won't do much burning with the new burner in Windows, but I'd
    > like it to be able to function, at least. I'm looking for burning
    > software that will work with my new drive on Windows 98SE. It would be
    > nice if it was free, but a used, older version of Nero or Roxio would be
    > OK. So, I guess I'm asking two questions:
    >
    > 1. What free burner software is available that still supports Windows
    > 98SE and will support the LG GSA N54N?
    >
    > 2. What are the highest versions of Nero and Roxio that will work with
    > Windows 98 SE?
    >
    > Please, please, no discussions on Windows vs. Linux. That's not what
    > this is about, and I don't want to start some flame war. If I wanted to
    > do that, I'd have put this post on a Windows group.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > TJ

    Nero OEM 6.3.1.11, the version that came bundled with my Lite-On DVD
    burner. Newer Nero versions cannot work with DVDShrink, an
    intentional programming change by Ahead software.

    gerry, Aug 15, 2007
  4. TJ

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    gerry wrote:

    > Nero OEM 6.3.1.11, the version that came bundled with my Lite-On DVD
    > burner. Newer Nero versions cannot work with DVDShrink, an
    > intentional programming change by Ahead software.

    What version would that be? I run 7.8.3.0 and it works fine with DVD
    Shrink.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, Aug 15, 2007
  5. TJ

    TJ Guest

    gerry wrote:
    > On Aug 13, 9:06 am, TJ <> wrote:
    >> I use a dual-boot setup with Mandriva 2007 Linux and Windows 98SE. Linux
    >> performs most of what I need a computer very well indeed, but there are
    >> still a couple of programs that I need Windows for. I just purchased an
    >> OEM-packaged DVD burner, an LG GSA-H54N from NewEgg. It seems like a
    >> great little burner, and Linux accepted it and used it without
    >> additional software.
    >>
    >> Windows was a different story. My old burner software, Nero 5.5, worked
    >> fine with my CD burner, but won't recognize the new burner. I'm not
    >> surprised, since it's several years old after all. I see from the Ahead
    >> Nero site that the latest version of Nero requires Windows 2000 and
    >> above - and I have no desire to get a different version of Windows.
    >>
    >> I probably won't do much burning with the new burner in Windows, but I'd
    >> like it to be able to function, at least. I'm looking for burning
    >> software that will work with my new drive on Windows 98SE. It would be
    >> nice if it was free, but a used, older version of Nero or Roxio would be
    >> OK. So, I guess I'm asking two questions:
    >>
    >> 1. What free burner software is available that still supports Windows
    >> 98SE and will support the LG GSA N54N?
    >>
    >> 2. What are the highest versions of Nero and Roxio that will work with
    >> Windows 98 SE?
    >>
    >> Please, please, no discussions on Windows vs. Linux. That's not what
    >> this is about, and I don't want to start some flame war. If I wanted to
    >> do that, I'd have put this post on a Windows group.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance,
    >>
    >> TJ
    >>
    >> --

    > Nero OEM 6.3.1.11, the version that came bundled with my Lite-On DVD
    > burner. Newer Nero versions cannot work with DVDShrink, an
    > intentional programming change by Ahead software.

    Nero 7 Ultra Edition is #1 on the list of "Top 5 DVD and Video-Editing
    Programs" in the latest issue of Computer Shopper. The magazine says it
    works with Windows 98, ME, 2000,XP, or Vista. Yet the Nero website says
    only editions 2000 and above are supported. Must be just the latest
    version that is that way. Probably, if I find the next older version on
    Ebay or somewhere, it will work for me.

    The change doesn't surprise me. I've read that HP is no longer providing
    98 and ME drivers for their products, and a look at the HP website
    confirms this. Speculation on comp.periphs.printers is that there was
    pressure from Microsoft to vendors to drop support for the older
    operating systems when Microsoft did - or else there would be licensing
    problems in the future. HP caved, and it looks like Ahead Nero did as well.

    TJ

    TJ, Aug 15, 2007
  6. TJ

    gerry Guest

    On Aug 15, 4:35 am, Oldus Fartus <> wrote:
    > gerry wrote:
    >
    > > Nero OEM 6.3.1.11, the version that came bundled with my Lite-On DVD
    > > burner. Newer Nero versions cannot work with DVDShrink, an
    > > intentional programming change by Ahead software.

    > What version would that be? I run 7.8.3.0 and it works fine with DVD
    > Shrink.
    >
    > --
    > Cheers
    > Oldus Fartus

    "What version would that be? I run 7.8.3.0 and it works fine with
    DVD
    Shrink."

    Nero 6.3. When I upgraded to 6.6, I had all sorts of problems with
    DVDShrink. I was not alone at the time, about 18 months ago, when
    there other postings about newer Nero software not working with
    DVDShrink. From what you state, the problem no longer exists in the
    most recent versions of Nero.

    gerry, Aug 15, 2007
  7. TJ

    nick Guest

    gerry wrote:
    > On Aug 15, 4:35 am, Oldus Fartus <> wrote:
    >> gerry wrote:
    >>
    >>> Nero OEM 6.3.1.11, the version that came bundled with my Lite-On DVD
    >>> burner. Newer Nero versions cannot work with DVDShrink,

    my nero 6.6.0.13 works fine with dvdshrink.

    nick, Aug 15, 2007
  8. TJ

    gerry Guest

    On Aug 15, 4:01 pm, nick <> wrote:
    > gerry wrote:

    > my nero 6.6.0.13 works fine with dvdshrink.

    http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=176754

    The above link discusses the problem someone had with Nero 6, and that
    Nero rectified the problem after Nero 7. My personal experience was
    that free Nero 6.6 upgrade I installed did not work with DVDShrink, so
    I went back to Nero 6.3.

    gerry, Aug 16, 2007