    Thank You

    NJA

    , Jan 22, 2008

  2. PeeCee Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I was thinking of getting one of those small MP3-PLAYERS. You know,
    > the ones that are smaller than a cell phone where you can download
    > music from your PC. They come with USB cables and a charger for the
    > most part.
    >
    > Well... I have a DELL PIII PC with Win98se, would I still be able to
    > download songs to most of these MP3 players or are they strictly set
    > up for XP or Vista? Just curious.
    >
    > Thank You
    >
    > NJA

    NJA

    Two issues

    Any software provided has to be Windows 98SE compatible.
    (and the biggest issue) Getting Windows 98SE to 'see' the USB connected
    player

    Just make sure Windows 98 USB drivers and software are included with the
    player or downloadable from the web.
    Make it a condition of sale by saying you specifically want it to run on a
    Windows 98SE machine.
    That way if it won't work you can get your money back or try another brand.

    Do be aware that even if the correct software and drivers are provided some
    USB chipsets of that era have problems, and their USB likely to be Version
    1.1 which is quite slow (12Mb/s) compared to USB 2.0 (400+Mb/s)
    This issue can be got around by buying a USB plug in USB 2.0 card, but again
    make sure it comes with Windows 98SE drivers.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Jan 22, 2008

  3. Barry OGrady Guest

    On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 12:23:15 -0800 (PST), wrote:

    >I was thinking of getting one of those small MP3-PLAYERS. You know,
    >the ones that are smaller than a cell phone where you can download
    >music from your PC. They come with USB cables and a charger for the
    >most part.

    The small ones are much smaller than a cell phone.

    >Well... I have a DELL PIII PC with Win98se, would I still be able to
    >download songs to most of these MP3 players or are they strictly set
    >up for XP or Vista? Just curious.

    They include a disk with drivers for Win 98.

    >Thank You
    >
    >NJA

    Barry
    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

    Barry OGrady, Jan 24, 2008
  4. LAH Guest

    "PeeCee" <> wrote in message
    > <> wrote in message
    >>I was thinking of getting one of those small MP3-PLAYERS. You know,
    >> the ones that are smaller than a cell phone where you can download
    >> music from your PC. They come with USB cables and a charger for the
    >> most part.
    >>
    >> Well... I have a DELL PIII PC with Win98se, would I still be able to
    >> download songs to most of these MP3 players or are they strictly set
    >> up for XP or Vista? Just curious.
    >>
    >> Thank You
    >>
    >> NJA

    > NJA
    >
    > Two issues
    >
    > Any software provided has to be Windows 98SE compatible.
    > (and the biggest issue) Getting Windows 98SE to 'see' the USB connected
    > player
    >
    > Just make sure Windows 98 USB drivers and software are included with the
    > player or downloadable from the web.
    > Make it a condition of sale by saying you specifically want it to run on a
    > Windows 98SE machine.
    > That way if it won't work you can get your money back or try another
    > brand.
    >
    > Do be aware that even if the correct software and drivers are provided
    > some USB chipsets of that era have problems, and their USB likely to be
    > Version 1.1 which is quite slow (12Mb/s) compared to USB 2.0 (400+Mb/s)
    > This issue can be got around by buying a USB plug in USB 2.0 card, but
    > again make sure it comes with Windows 98SE drivers.
    >

    > Best
    > Paul.

    A couple of years ago (we were still using Windows 98se at that time) I was
    shopping for a MP3 player for my daughter. I located one but it did not
    come with software compatible for Windows 98se. The salesperson was kind
    enough to do a search for a downloadable, free software program that would
    do the trick. I bought the player and downloaded the software - it worked
    like a charm. Perhaps something like this would work for you. I'm sorry I
    don't remember all the specifics as it has been too long and my old computer
    with Windows 98se has now been retired in favor of a new one with Windows XP
    Pro.

    LAH, Jan 25, 2008