    Windows proper boots?

    Thanks,
    Tony

    Mark C, May 15, 2006

  2. Mark C

    GraB Guest

    On 15 May 2006 01:17:13 GMT, Mark C <> wrote:

    >What happens on Windows 98 if win.com is missing?
    >
    >I hope you get a command.com prompt, and can fix it?
    >
    >Can you CTRL+Key out of the Windows boot and run a DOS prompt before
    >Windows proper boots?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Tony

    Should be able to. I have the functions keys always available and
    boot menu visible. You can set this with TweakUI. Or F8 (?) when it
    boots.

    Win98 or 98 SE Setup cd-rom:

    EXTRACT D:\WIN98\WIN98_25.CAB WIN.CNF

    Substitute the cd-rom/floppy drive letters with yours if different.
    Now run this command from the folder where WIN.CNF resides:

    COPY /Y WIN.CNF C:\WINDOWS\WIN.COM
    GraB, May 15, 2006

  3. Mark C

    impossible Guest

    "Mark C" <> wrote in message
    > What happens on Windows 98 if win.com is missing?
    >
    > I hope you get a command.com prompt, and can fix it?
    >
    > Can you CTRL+Key out of the Windows boot and run a DOS prompt before
    > Windows proper boots?

    Yes, assuming you have access to your installation disk, you can fix
    it from a DOS prompt.

    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=136630
    impossible, May 15, 2006
  4. Mark C

    SchoolTech Guest

    GraB wrote:
    > On 15 May 2006 01:17:13 GMT, Mark C <> wrote:
    >
    >> What happens on Windows 98 if win.com is missing?
    >>
    >> I hope you get a command.com prompt, and can fix it?
    >>
    >> Can you CTRL+Key out of the Windows boot and run a DOS prompt before
    >> Windows proper boots?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Tony

    > Should be able to. I have the functions keys always available and
    > boot menu visible. You can set this with TweakUI. Or F8 (?) when it
    > boots.
    >
    > Win98 or 98 SE Setup cd-rom:
    >
    > EXTRACT D:\WIN98\WIN98_25.CAB WIN.CNF
    >
    > Substitute the cd-rom/floppy drive letters with yours if different.
    > Now run this command from the folder where WIN.CNF resides:
    >
    > COPY /Y WIN.CNF C:\WINDOWS\WIN.COM

    Just install XP
    SchoolTech, May 18, 2006
  5. Mark C

    Dave Taylor Guest

    SchoolTech <> wrote in

    >> Should be able to. I have the functions keys always available and
    >> boot menu visible. You can set this with TweakUI. Or F8 (?) when it
    >> boots.
    >>
    >> Win98 or 98 SE Setup cd-rom:
    >>
    >> EXTRACT D:\WIN98\WIN98_25.CAB WIN.CNF
    >>
    >> Substitute the cd-rom/floppy drive letters with yours if different.
    >> Now run this command from the folder where WIN.CNF resides:
    >>
    >> COPY /Y WIN.CNF C:\WINDOWS\WIN.COM
    >>

    > Just install XP

    LOL, Have you tried XP on a P166 with 64 megs of ram?
    Come on, 98 boxes should stay 98 "usually"

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, May 18, 2006
  6. On 18 May 2006 19:55:23 +1200, Dave Taylor
    <> magnanimously proffered:

    >SchoolTech <> wrote in

    >>> Should be able to. I have the functions keys always available and
    >>> boot menu visible. You can set this with TweakUI. Or F8 (?) when it
    >>> boots.
    >>>
    >>> Win98 or 98 SE Setup cd-rom:
    >>>
    >>> EXTRACT D:\WIN98\WIN98_25.CAB WIN.CNF
    >>>
    >>> Substitute the cd-rom/floppy drive letters with yours if different.
    >>> Now run this command from the folder where WIN.CNF resides:
    >>>
    >>> COPY /Y WIN.CNF C:\WINDOWS\WIN.COM
    >>>

    >> Just install XP
    >>

    >LOL, Have you tried XP on a P166 with 64 megs of ram?
    >Come on, 98 boxes should stay 98 "usually"

    Try asking in <microsoft.public.win98.performance>
    Robert Feigel, May 18, 2006