    and with no further support they will be open to future new exploits and
    vulnerabilities.

    PseUDO

    PseUDO, Jan 11, 2004

  2. PseUDO

    Lennier Guest

    On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 13:07:54 +1300, PseUDO wrote:

    > According to an article , 25% of all internet users are still running 98,
    > and with no further support they will be open to future new exploits and
    > vulnerabilities.

    How is that statistic arrived at? In what way is the number of persons
    using the internet and WIN98 important? What about the number of us
    using WIN98 generally? And those using WIN95?

    IMHO, it is irrelevant that Micro$oft is no longer supporting those
    particular versions of Windows. There is no good reason to purchase
    another version of Micro$oft Windows when there are excellent alternatives
    available.

    Lennier

    --
    Brian Valentine - Microsoft's SVP for Windows development: "We
    really haven't done everything we could to protect our customers. Our

    Lennier, Jan 11, 2004

  3. PseUDO

    DUser Guest

    On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 13:07:54 +1300, PseUDO wrote:

    > Just wondering how many people on here are still using windows 98 , with
    > support from MS ending next Thursday.
    >
    > According to an article , 25% of all internet users are still running
    > 98, and with no further support they will be open to future new exploits
    > and vulnerabilities.
    >
    > PseUDO

    http://news.zdnet.co.uk/business/0,39020645,39118993,00.htm
    <quote>
    Users who need to do a clean install of Windows 98 will, for the moment,
    still be able to connect with the Windows Update service in order to
    install the most recent patches, but the future of this service is far
    from clear: "We have not yet made a decision when we are going to remove
    Windows update. We realise there is a huge install base out there so we
    will try to be as open and loud as possible with our decision," he said.

    Ahlgren pointed out that certain patches released in the future could be
    generic and work on all Windows operating systems, including Windows 98.
    In that case, an update would be possible: "If the patch is a generic
    </quote>

    DUser, Jan 11, 2004
  4. PseUDO

    Nihil Guest

    In article <gu0Mb.16641$>, says...

    >Just wondering how many people on here are still using windows 98 , with
    >support from MS ending next Thursday.

    I think my mom is.

    >According to an article , 25% of all internet users are still running 98,
    >and with no further support they will be open to future new exploits and
    >vulnerabilities.

    I'll buy my mom a copy of Windows XP Home for her birthday.

    -- Nihil

    Nihil, Jan 11, 2004
  5. PseUDO

    Invisible Guest

    On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 13:07:54 +1300, "PseUDO" <> wrote:

    >Just wondering how many people on here are still using windows 98 , with
    >support from MS ending next Thursday.
    >
    >According to an article , 25% of all internet users are still running 98,
    >and with no further support they will be open to future new exploits and
    >vulnerabilities.
    >
    >PseUDO

    If it's not supported, can we use pirate copies? ;-)

    Invisible, Jan 11, 2004
  6. PseUDO

    Jerry Guest

    On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 13:35:23 +1300, Lennier wrote:

    > There is no good reason to purchase another version of Micro$oft Windows
    > when there are excellent alternatives available.

    Agreed, but still........
    We need a bit of help from fellow net users.
    Was looking for some documentation on a govt.nz site expecting a pdf.
    What I got was a .doc (over 600 f*ckin´ kb).
    Open Office opened it looking like a dog´s breakfast.
    (In hind sight this WAS an achievement)
    Reboot from MDK into win98 --> locked solid, Office 2000 PRO.
    Reboot into XP --> no prob, Office 2003 PRO.
    Save as .RTF, --> unreadable cause the tabs had changed, tables were gone
    and fonts and font size changed sometimes mid-sentence.
    WTF
    Jerry©

    Jerry, Jan 11, 2004
  7. PseUDO

    Lennier Guest

    On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 16:54:48 +1300, Jerry wrote:

    > Agreed, but still........
    > We need a bit of help from fellow net users.
    > Was looking for some documentation on a govt.nz site expecting a pdf.
    > What I got was a .doc (over 600 f*ckin´ kb).
    > Open Office opened it looking like a dog´s breakfast.
    > (In hind sight this WAS an achievement)
    > Reboot from MDK into win98 --> locked solid, Office 2000 PRO.
    > Reboot into XP --> no prob, Office 2003 PRO.
    > Save as .RTF, --> unreadable cause the tabs had changed, tables were gone
    > and fonts and font size changed sometimes mid-sentence.

    You could save it either as a format readable by an earlier version of M$
    Word, or in Word Perfect 6 format - both well readable by OO.

    The really stupid thing is WHY do people save stuff in the latest version
    of .DOC when they don't need the few extra additional functions supported
    by that format? Why don't they by default save their document in the
    oldest format that still provides the features that they're wanting out of
    their version of M$ Word?

    I think all businesses should be doing that as a matter of course - in
    order to have their documents readable by as many persons as possible.

    PDF of course is best, but an old but readable .DOC is better than a
    bleeding-edge .DOC that is unreadable/unusable without spending pots of
    dosh.

    Lennier

    Lennier, Jan 11, 2004
  8. PseUDO

    Cheetah Guest

    PseUDO wrote:

    > According to an article , 25% of all internet users are still running 98,
    > and with no further support they will be open to future new exploits and
    > vulnerabilities.

    According to someone I know who should know - Microsofts main competitor is
    not open source, but itself. The huge installed base of older computers
    makes it very difficult to move new gear/software. Software Assurance was
    of course about assuring that Microsoft continued to get revenue even when
    they didn't deliver anything. This is very sensible for MS - but not so hot
    for those who now are tied into expensive annual subscriptions.

    Cheetah, Jan 11, 2004
  9. PseUDO

    Barg Guest

    PseUDO wrote:

    > Just wondering how many people on here are still using windows 98 , with
    > support from MS ending next Thursday.
    >
    > According to an article , 25% of all internet users are still running 98,
    > and with no further support they will be open to future new exploits and
    > vulnerabilities.
    >
    > PseUDO

    Feck 'em. Use Linux.

    (This message comes to you from Mandrake 9.1)

    Barg, Jan 11, 2004
  10. PseUDO

    Lennier Guest

    On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 18:04:18 +1300, Cheetah wrote:

    > According to someone I know who should know - Microsofts main competitor is
    > not open source, but itself. The huge installed base of older computers
    > makes it very difficult to move new gear/software. Software Assurance was
    > of course about assuring that Microsoft continued to get revenue even when
    > they didn't deliver anything. This is very sensible for MS - but not so hot
    > for those who now are tied into expensive annual subscriptions.

    Well if there are still WIN16 boxes connecting to the WWW, then what
    chance is there for an expensive and butchered WIN64 box?

    Much better to change to something less susceptible to viruses - something
    Open Source...

    Lennier

    Lennier, Jan 11, 2004
  11. Lennier wrote:
    > Well if there are still WIN16 boxes connecting to the WWW, then what
    > chance is there for an expensive and butchered WIN64 box?
    > Much better to change to something less susceptible to viruses - something
    > Open Source...

    What was the last virus that effected win16 boxes? without running the
    latest IE or OE, or office, it can't really run a hell of a lot.

    --
    Http://www.Dave.net.nz
    Play Hangman

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Jan 11, 2004
  12. PseUDO

    Lennier Guest

    On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 19:09:39 +1300, T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > What was the last virus that effected win16 boxes? without running the
    > latest IE or OE, or office, it can't really run a hell of a lot.

    So long as it can still be use to type a letter and to send an email and
    to view normal webpages it will be able to run more than enough.

    I was using WIN16 to do MIDI editing, composition and recording. It is
    still *more* than good enough to do that.

    In fact, I found the programme I used for WIN16 (MasterTracks) to be
    easier to use than Cakewalk.

    Lennier

    Lennier, Jan 11, 2004
  13. PseUDO

    K & S Guest

    On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 13:07:54 +1300, "PseUDO" <> wrote:

    >Just wondering how many people on here are still using windows 98 , with
    >support from MS ending next Thursday.
    >
    >According to an article , 25% of all internet users are still running 98,
    >and with no further support they will be open to future new exploits and
    >vulnerabilities.
    >
    >PseUDO

    WIN98SE is still supported..

    K & S, Jan 11, 2004
  14. PseUDO

    K & S Guest

    On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 01:42:41 GMT, (Nihil) wrote:

    >In article <gu0Mb.16641$>, says...
    >>
    >>Just wondering how many people on here are still using windows 98 , with
    >>support from MS ending next Thursday.

    >I think my mom is.
    >
    >>According to an article , 25% of all internet users are still running 98,
    >>and with no further support they will be open to future new exploits and
    >>vulnerabilities.

    >I'll buy my mom a copy of Windows XP Home for her birthday.
    >

    >-- Nihil

    Yes but will it work on the Old PC..?

    K & S, Jan 11, 2004
  15. PseUDO

    K & S Guest

    Windows 98SE still has Support.

    Please get all you facts correct, SE is still supported..

    K & S, Jan 11, 2004
  16. PseUDO

    PseUDO Guest

    Re: Windows 98SE still has Support.

    "K & S" <> wrote in message

    > Please get all you facts correct, SE is still supported..

    Correct and windows 98 is no longer supported from Thursday , along with
    many other MS products that come pre-installed with java VM.

    PseUDO

    PseUDO, Jan 11, 2004
  17. PseUDO

    "PseUDO" <> wrote in message

    > "K & S" <> wrote in message
    > >

    > > Please get all you facts correct, SE is still supported..
    > >

    > Correct and windows 98 is no longer supported from Thursday , along with
    > many other MS products that come pre-installed with java VM.
    >
    > PseUDO

    Here's the list of products that will no longer be supported, because they
    contain the version of java that MS can no longer supply security fixes for.

    BackOffice Server 2000
    Embedded Visual Tools 3.0
    IE 5.5
    MapPoint 2002
    Office XP Developer
    Office 2000 Developer
    Office 2000 Tools
    Office 2000 Multilingual
    Office 2000 Premium SR-1
    Office 2000 Service Pack 2
    Outlook 2000
    Project 2000
    SQL Server 7
    SQL Server 7 Service Pack 3
    Windows 98 (does not affect Windows 98 Second Edition)
    Windows 98 Y2K
    Windows 98 Resource Kit
    Windows 98 SP1 (does not affect Windows 98 Second Edition)
    Windows NT 4.0 (Terminal Server and Option Pack add-ons only)
    Visio 2000
    Visual Basic for (Alpha Systems)
    Visual Studio 6 MSDE
    Visual Studio 6.0 SP3 and SP5

    PseUDO

    PseUDO, Jan 11, 2004
  18. Re: Windows 98SE still has Support.

    PseUDO wrote:
    >>Correct and windows 98 is no longer supported from Thursday , along with
    >>many other MS products that come pre-installed with java VM.

    > Here's the list of products that will no longer be supported, because they
    > contain the version of java that MS can no longer supply security fixes for.
    > BackOffice Server 2000
    > Embedded Visual Tools 3.0
    > IE 5.5
    > MapPoint 2002
    > Office XP Developer
    > Office 2000 Developer
    > Office 2000 Tools
    > Office 2000 Multilingual
    > Office 2000 Premium SR-1
    > Office 2000 Service Pack 2
    > Outlook 2000
    > Project 2000
    > SQL Server 7
    > SQL Server 7 Service Pack 3
    > Windows 98 (does not affect Windows 98 Second Edition)
    > Windows 98 Y2K
    > Windows 98 Resource Kit
    > Windows 98 SP1 (does not affect Windows 98 Second Edition)
    > Windows NT 4.0 (Terminal Server and Option Pack add-ons only)
    > Visio 2000
    > Visual Basic for (Alpha Systems)
    > Visual Studio 6 MSDE
    > Visual Studio 6.0 SP3 and SP5

    Thanks Sun... well done on winning that court case, leaving millions,
    and millions(maybe hundreds of millions?) of users high and dry.

    --
    Http://www.Dave.net.nz
    Play Hangman

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Jan 11, 2004
  19. PseUDO

    Peter S Guest

    Re: Windows 98SE still has Support.

    "T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in
    message news:eR7Mb.8494$...
    > PseUDO wrote:
    > >>Correct and windows 98 is no longer supported from Thursday , along with
    > >>many other MS products that come pre-installed with java VM.

    > > Here's the list of products that will no longer be supported, because

    they
    > > contain the version of java that MS can no longer supply security fixes

    for.
    > > BackOffice Server 2000
    > > Embedded Visual Tools 3.0
    > > IE 5.5
    > > MapPoint 2002
    > > Office XP Developer
    > > Office 2000 Developer
    > > Office 2000 Tools
    > > Office 2000 Multilingual
    > > Office 2000 Premium SR-1
    > > Office 2000 Service Pack 2
    > > Outlook 2000
    > > Project 2000
    > > SQL Server 7
    > > SQL Server 7 Service Pack 3
    > > Windows 98 (does not affect Windows 98 Second Edition)
    > > Windows 98 Y2K
    > > Windows 98 Resource Kit
    > > Windows 98 SP1 (does not affect Windows 98 Second Edition)
    > > Windows NT 4.0 (Terminal Server and Option Pack add-ons only)
    > > Visio 2000
    > > Visual Basic for (Alpha Systems)
    > > Visual Studio 6 MSDE
    > > Visual Studio 6.0 SP3 and SP5

    > Thanks Sun... well done on winning that court case, leaving millions,
    > and millions(maybe hundreds of millions?) of users high and dry.
    >
    > --
    > Http://www.Dave.net.nz
    > Play Hangman
    > Register, and play Space Invaders or Pacman.

    If there is anything that was ever crap (using Mr Sheppard's lingo) , it is
    the excuse that Microsoft are using that it is java that is the reason for
    this desupport. Just look through that list and ask yourself, is Java the
    reason for this? Project 2000 is being desupported because of Java? VS6.0
    SP3 and SP5 but not SP4? Visio 2000??

    Do not believe everything you hear. That is just marketing, and it is
    Microsoft taking the heat off their desupport notice. MS only ever had one
    basic Java engine, and it ran across more products than these. Similarly,
    Suns Java will run on platforms such as Win98. Microsoft has no reason to
    desupport these products because of Java!!

    Pete.

    Peter S, Jan 11, 2004
  20. Re: Windows 98SE still has Support.

    Peter S wrote:
    >>Thanks Sun... well done on winning that court case, leaving millions,
    >>and millions(maybe hundreds of millions?) of users high and dry.

    > If there is anything that was ever crap (using Mr Sheppard's lingo) , it is
    > the excuse that Microsoft are using that it is java that is the reason for
    > this desupport.

    hahaha, I know it is a bad excuse, the post was tounge in cheek. Sarcasm
    just doesnt carry well in the written word.

    --
    Http://www.Dave.net.nz
    Play Hangman

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Jan 11, 2004