    C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM)

    I tired this and it does nothing,

    Any ideas on what I can do?

    Marshall, Jul 9, 2004

  2. Marshall

    Patch Guest

    "Marshall" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I have an error starting up Windows.
    > My hard drive is making a clicking sound, and I can not even start in
    > safe mode.
    > The computer starts at command prompt, then runs SCARNREG and retuns
    > the following corrput files:
    > C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
    > C:\WINDOWS\DBLBUF.SYS
    > C:\WINDOWS\IFSHLP.SYS
    >
    > then is says type the name of the command intrepreter (e.g,
    > C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM)
    >
    > I tired this and it does nothing,
    >
    > Any ideas on what I can do?

    I would say that your hard drive is going tits up. If you know someone that
    has Norton's "Ghost" program, maybe you can clone your old HD to a new one.
    You just boot with a Win98 start-up disk with CD Rom support, plop the Ghost
    CD in and while having your new HD slaved to the old one, clone the old
    drive to the new one. You don't even have to format the new drive. If you
    can't do this, install a new drive, reinstall everything & hook the old
    drive as a slave & then recover your important data. As cheap as HDs are, I
    like to keep a spare "cloned" drive as a backup. About every 2 months I
    re-clone it just to keep my backup fresh. If my HD goes bust, I just plop in
    the spare & I'm back in business in 5 minutes.

    Patch, Jul 9, 2004

  3. Marshall

    Plato Guest

    Patch wrote:

    > I would say that your hard drive is going tits up. If you know someone that
    > has Norton's "Ghost" program, maybe you can clone your old HD to a new one.

    You can also use xxcopy with the /clone switch. Free utility.

    > like to keep a spare "cloned" drive as a backup. About every 2 months I
    > re-clone it just to keep my backup fresh. If my HD goes bust, I just plop in
    > the spare & I'm back in business in 5 minutes.

    If you have enough room in the case you can of course keep the backup
    drive in, and if c: fails and your bios allows you to boot from D:
    you're in business in ten seconds :)

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jul 9, 2004