    mcp6453 Guest

    Anybody know how I can make a bootable Windows 98SE Startup Disk ISO so
    that I can make a bootable CD?
    mcp6453, Jan 15, 2005

  2. mcp6453

    HF Guest

    http://www.smart-projects.net/isobuster/
    HF, Jan 15, 2005

  3. mcp6453 wrote:

    > Anybody know how I can make a bootable Windows 98SE Startup Disk ISO so
    > that I can make a bootable CD?

    First, make a *complete* installation of Windows 98 only. Then make a
    bootable cdrw with Nero. Now use Nero again to copy the whole installation
    to the bootable cdrw. Now, use Nero to copy the cdrw to a .iso file. Now,
    burn the .iso to a regular cdr.

    Now, just set your machine to boot from cdrom, and you have a Windows 98
    live cd.

    Michael
    Michael Hearne, Jan 19, 2005
  4. Thor wrote:

    > "Michael Hearne" <> wrote in message
    >> mcp6453 wrote:
    >>
    >>> Anybody know how I can make a bootable Windows 98SE Startup Disk ISO so
    >>> that I can make a bootable CD?

    >> First, make a *complete* installation of Windows 98 only. Then make a
    >> bootable cdrw with Nero. Now use Nero again to copy the whole
    >> installation to the bootable cdrw. Now, use Nero to copy the cdrw to a
    >> .iso file. Now, burn the .iso to a regular cdr.
    >>
    >> Now, just set your machine to boot from cdrom, and you have a Windows 98
    >> live cd.

    > how exactly then do you deal with the problem of the OS wanting to write
    > registry backups, file changes, etc. when all the files are on a read-only
    > media? I don't see how what you suggest would be remotely feasable to run
    > the OS off a CD. Seems to me it would crash horribly the fisrt time it
    > wanted to write changes to a file.

    You could even use it on a diskless station - everythings in memory, and
    gets lost when you shut down, unless you save it otherwise.

    Michael
    Michael Hearne, Jan 20, 2005
  5. mcp6453

    Thor Guest

    > Thor wrote:
    >

    >> "Michael Hearne" <> wrote in message

    >>> First, make a *complete* installation of Windows 98 only. Then make a
    >>> bootable cdrw with Nero. Now use Nero again to copy the whole
    >>> installation to the bootable cdrw. Now, use Nero to copy the cdrw to a
    >>> .iso file. Now, burn the .iso to a regular cdr.
    >>>
    >>> Now, just set your machine to boot from cdrom, and you have a Windows 98
    >>> live cd.

    >> how exactly then do you deal with the problem of the OS wanting to write
    >> registry backups, file changes, etc. when all the files are on a
    >> read-only
    >> media? I don't see how what you suggest would be remotely feasable to run
    >> the OS off a CD. Seems to me it would crash horribly the fisrt time it
    >> wanted to write changes to a file.

    > You could even use it on a diskless station - everythings in memory, and
    > gets lost when you shut down, unless you save it otherwise.

    you didn't answer my question. I've seen what happens when Win98 can't write
    changes to it's own files when a harddrive is having write-access issues,
    and it crashes. How would that differ from your CD? When Win98 needs to
    write to a file, (and this is something that is bound to happen at certain
    points during the course of running the OS) it's going to fail because it
    cannot write to a CD-R. Have you actually successfully made and tried such a
    CD?
    Thor, Jan 20, 2005
  6. mcp6453

    colin Guest

    http://www.heise.de/ct/english/99/11/206/
    colin, Jan 20, 2005
  7. Thor wrote:

    > how exactly then do you deal with the problem of the OS wanting to write
    > registry backups, file changes, etc. when all the files are on a read-only
    > media? I don't see how what you suggest would be remotely feasable to run
    > the OS off a CD. Seems to me it would crash horribly the fisrt time it
    > wanted to write changes to a file.

    I was dubious at first, but I built and tried the "Ultimate Boot CD for
    Windows" from information at this site. It's based on Windows XP w/SP1
    or SP2.

    http://www.ubcd4win.com/index.htm

    And, yes, it works. There are extensive diagnostic and repair utilities
    included, pretty amazing for a freebie.
    John Wentworth, Jan 20, 2005
  8. mcp6453

    colin Guest

    Thor <> wrote in message

    > "colin" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Thor" <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> "Michael Hearne" <> wrote in message

    ISO
    > > so

    Windows
    > > 98

    > > write

    > > run

    it

    > >> you didn't answer my question. I've seen what happens when Win98 can't

    > > write
    > >> changes to it's own files when a harddrive is having write-access

    issues,
    > >> and it crashes. How would that differ from your CD? When Win98 needs to
    > >> write to a file, (and this is something that is bound to happen at
    > >> certain
    > >> points during the course of running the OS) it's going to fail because

    it
    > >> cannot write to a CD-R. Have you actually successfully made and tried
    > >> such

    > >> CD?
    > >>

    > > http://www.heise.de/ct/english/99/11/206/

    > thanks for the link. Very informative, but alas, I lack the patience to
    > actually want to do all of that for the sake of having such a CD. But in

    the
    > end, those procedures are significantly more extensive and vary

    considerably
    > from what was being suggested. Interesting nonetheless.

    It got my interest enough to give it a go, but from a different website
    (which I`ll post when I find it again; if you`re interested.), and different
    in which the OS (98SE) is loaded from the CD; this time being placed
    entirely into a ramdisk (I`m posting from it at the moment).
    colin, Jan 20, 2005
  9. mcp6453

    Thor Guest

    "John Wentworth" <> wrote in message
    > Thor wrote:
    >
    >> how exactly then do you deal with the problem of the OS wanting to write
    >> registry backups, file changes, etc. when all the files are on a
    >> read-only media? I don't see how what you suggest would be remotely
    >> feasable to run the OS off a CD. Seems to me it would crash horribly the
    >> fisrt time it wanted to write changes to a file.
    >>

    > I was dubious at first, but I built and tried the "Ultimate Boot CD for
    > Windows" from information at this site. It's based on Windows XP w/SP1 or
    > SP2.
    >
    > http://www.ubcd4win.com/index.htm
    >
    > And, yes, it works. There are extensive diagnostic and repair utilities
    > included, pretty amazing for a freebie.

    I don't doubt that is is possible to have a live OS on a CD. The
    instructions from the various web links given so far all use RAM drives to
    overcome the read-only issues, as would be expected. My question was with
    the instructions as given in the post, which didn't take these necessary
    things into account, and that's what i was getting at. I already have a
    BART-PE boot CD which creates a live bootable WinXP OS on CD, of course it
    uses a RAMdrive also. So I am well aware of the ability to customize a
    bootable OS on CD.

    Thor, Jan 20, 2005
  10. Thor wrote:

    So I am well aware of the ability to customize a
    > bootable OS on CD.

    I think what impressed me most about this effort was that so much work
    had gone in with no financial reward for the author. Can't they do this
    work for an employer and get compensated?
    I mean, after all, you have to be making the big bucks on this forum.
    John Wentworth, Jan 21, 2005
  11. mcp6453

    > Thor wrote:
    >

    > So I am well aware of the ability to customize a
    >> bootable OS on CD.

    > I think what impressed me most about this effort was that so much work
    > had gone in with no financial reward for the author. Can't they do this
    > work for an employer and get compensated?
    > I mean, after all, you have to be making the big bucks on this forum.

    yeah, raking it in. ;-)

    Seriously though, it's wonderful that some people are willing to contribute
    their talents to the betterment of the computing community for little or no
    compensation. I already have the Ultimate Boot CD (non windows version) and
    I was impressed at how complete and well thought out it was.
    Thor, Jan 21, 2005
  12. mcp6453

    Guest

    mcp6453 wrote:
    > Anybody know how I can make a bootable Windows 98SE Startup Disk ISO

    so
    > that I can make a bootable CD?

    Clarify

    Do you want
    a)A Win98 DOS Boot DISC
    b)A Win98 bootable CDROM for installing windows from
    c)A Win98 installation on CD (WinPE sort of thing)
    ps- i don't yet know how to do option c
    , Jan 21, 2005
  13. mcp6453

    mcp6453 Guest

    wrote:
    > mcp6453 wrote:
    >
    >>Anybody know how I can make a bootable Windows 98SE Startup Disk ISO
    >>so that I can make a bootable CD?

    > Clarify
    >
    > Do you want
    > a)A Win98 DOS Boot DISC
    > b)A Win98 bootable CDROM for installing windows from
    > c)A Win98 installation on CD (WinPE sort of thing)
    > ps- i don't yet know how to do option c

    A, the same as a Windows 98 Startup Disk, except that it boots from
    floppy. Some newer computers do not have floppy drives. The trick is to
    get the computer to recognized the CD drive after booting, I guess.
    mcp6453, Jan 21, 2005
  14. mcp6453

    Guest

    mcp6453 wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > mcp6453 wrote:
    > >
    > >>Anybody know how I can make a bootable Windows 98SE Startup Disk

    ISO
    > >>so that I can make a bootable CD?

    > > Clarify
    > >
    > > Do you want
    > > a)A Win98 DOS Boot DISC
    > > b)A Win98 bootable CDROM for installing windows from
    > > c)A Win98 installation on CD (WinPE sort of thing)
    > > ps- i don't yet know how to do option c

    > A, the same as a Windows 98 Startup Disk, except that it boots from
    > floppy. Some newer computers do not have floppy drives. The trick is

    > get the computer to recognized the CD drive after booting, I guess.

    You can do it using Nero. The easiest way is to make it from a
    computer with a floppy drive. Since the easiest way requires you to
    insert the win98 'startup floppy disk'.

    These bootable CDs that emulate floppy disks, have to portions, an A
    drive that it simulates, and then the cd drive, usually D.
    The easyiest easy way, is to open Nero
    Express,(start..programs..nero..nero express)
    Then it asks you "what would you like to burn" move the mouse over to
    "data cd" and a menu will pop up, choose "bootable data cd"
    Then you can add extra files to it (don't add any files )
    Click Next
    THen select "read boot disk in drive"
    Click Next

    That should do it.

    It will create a CD with 2 portions. When you boot from it,
    you will see one portion is A: and typically the other portion is D:

    When you boot up with it and choose A: you will see that it stored
    all the files that were on the floppy disk you inserted when you made
    the CD over there. (The CD simulates a floppy disk and takes over
    A:)
    And it will also have any extra files you put on there, and store them
    as expected, on D: or whatever the CD drive is.

    Make sure that the Win98 startup disk also has CD drivers on it. If it
    doesn't, then get a good one off www.bootdisk.com You should get a
    good one off there anyway just to make sure that fdisk isn't too old.

    Anohther way to make the boot disc, is using Nero Burning Rom.
    file..new
    then scroll down and you will see an option that says 'bootable disc'
    choose that one. You see some tabs, you can choose to insert a floppy
    and make the CD.
    , Jan 23, 2005
  15. mcp6453

    Guest

    mcp6453 wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > mcp6453 wrote:
    > >
    > >>Anybody know how I can make a bootable Windows 98SE Startup Disk

    ISO
    > >>so that I can make a bootable CD?

    > > Clarify
    > >
    > > Do you want
    > > a)A Win98 DOS Boot DISC
    > > b)A Win98 bootable CDROM for installing windows from
    > > c)A Win98 installation on CD (WinPE sort of thing)
    > > ps- i don't yet know how to do option c

    > A, the same as a Windows 98 Startup Disk, except that it boots from
    > floppy. Some newer computers do not have floppy drives. The trick is

    > get the computer to recognized the CD drive after booting, I guess.

    You can do it using Nero. The easiest way is to make it from a
    computer with a floppy drive. Since the easiest way requires you to
    insert the win98 'startup floppy disk'.

    These bootable CDs that emulate floppy disks, have to portions, an A
    drive that it simulates, and then the cd drive, usually D.
    The easyiest easy way, is to open Nero
    Express,(start..programs..nero..nero express)
    Then it asks you "what would you like to burn" move the mouse over to
    "data cd" and a menu will pop up, choose "bootable data cd"
    Then you can add extra files to it (don't add any files )
    Click Next
    THen select "read boot disk in drive"
    Click Next

    That should do it.

    It will create a CD with 2 portions. When you boot from it,
    you will see one portion is A: and typically the other portion is D:

    When you boot up with it and choose A: you will see that it stored
    all the files that were on the floppy disk you inserted when you made
    the CD over there. (The CD simulates a floppy disk and takes over
    A:)
    And it will also have any extra files you put on there, and store them
    as expected, on D: or whatever the CD drive is.

    Make sure that the Win98 startup disk also has CD drivers on it. If it
    doesn't, then get a good one off www.bootdisk.com You should get a
    good one off there anyway just to make sure that fdisk isn't too old.

    Anohther way to make the boot disc, is using Nero Burning Rom.
    file..new
    then scroll down and you will see an option that says 'bootable disc'
    choose that one. You see some tabs, you can choose to insert a floppy
    and make the CD.

    Adjust the boot order in the BIOS to boot from the CD. The option is
    supported on most BIOSes and Motherboards nowadays
    , Jan 23, 2005
  16. mcp6453

    Guest

    mcp6453 wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > mcp6453 wrote:
    > >
    > >>Anybody know how I can make a bootable Windows 98SE Startup Disk

    ISO
    > >>so that I can make a bootable CD?

    > > Clarify
    > >
    > > Do you want
    > > a)A Win98 DOS Boot DISC
    > > b)A Win98 bootable CDROM for installing windows from
    > > c)A Win98 installation on CD (WinPE sort of thing)
    > > ps- i don't yet know how to do option c

    > A, the same as a Windows 98 Startup Disk, except that it boots from
    > floppy. Some newer computers do not have floppy drives. The trick is

    > get the computer to recognized the CD drive after booting, I guess.

    You can do it using Nero. The easiest way is to make it from a
    computer with a floppy drive. Since the easiest way requires you to
    insert the win98 'startup floppy disk'.

    These bootable CDs that emulate floppy disks, have to portions, an A
    drive that it simulates, and then the cd drive, usually D.
    The easyiest easy way, is to open Nero
    Express,(start..programs..nero..nero express)
    Then it asks you "what would you like to burn" move the mouse over to
    "data cd" and a menu will pop up, choose "bootable data cd"
    Then you can add extra files to it (don't add any files )
    Click Next
    THen select "read boot disk in drive"
    Click Next

    That should do it.

    It will create a CD with 2 portions. When you boot from it,
    you will see one portion is A: and typically the other portion is D:

    When you boot up with it and choose A: you will see that it stored
    all the files that were on the floppy disk you inserted when you made
    the CD over there. (The CD simulates a floppy disk and takes over
    A:)