Windows 98 sourcecode released

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by elaich, Sep 19, 2006.

  1. elaich

    elaich Guest

    1. Advertising

  2. elaich wrote:

    > http://www.luftpiraten.de/w98sourcecode.html


    Needs an update:

    /* printf("Welcome to Windows 3.11"); */
    /* printf("Welcome to Windows 95"); */
    /* printf("Welcome to Windows 98"); */
    /* printf("Welcome to Windows NT 3.0"); */
    /* printf("Welcome to Windows 2000"); */
    /* printf("Welcome to Windows XP"); */
    printf("Welcome to Windows Vista");

    --
    -bts
    -Motorcycles defy gravity; cars just suck.
     
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 19, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. elaich

    AnonyMouse Guest

    AnonyMouse, Sep 19, 2006
    #3
  4. elaich wrote:
    > http://www.luftpiraten.de/w98sourcecode.html


    Kinda odd that "Windows 98" source code would be dated 2001 and include
    this line, isn't it?

    printf("Welcome to Windows XP");

    And that the title of the page (not the HTML title element; the title in
    the body) would say "Der Microsoft Windows XP Quellcode". :)


    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
     
    Blinky the Shark, Sep 19, 2006
    #4
  5. elaich

    Sybil Guest

    Sybil, Sep 19, 2006
    #5
  6. Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > elaich wrote:
    >> http://www.luftpiraten.de/w98sourcecode.html

    >
    > Kinda odd that "Windows 98" source code would be dated 2001 and
    > include this line, isn't it?
    >
    > printf("Welcome to Windows XP");
    >
    > And that the title of the page (not the HTML title element; the title
    > in the body) would say "Der Microsoft Windows XP Quellcode". :)


    Isn't that about par for Microsoft upgrades/updates?

    Change the name, add a few gigabytes of graphics, and release it?

    --
    -bts
    -Motorcycles defy gravity; cars just suck.
     
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 19, 2006
    #6
  7. elaich

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-09-19, Blinky the Shark <> wrote:
    > elaich wrote:
    >> http://www.luftpiraten.de/w98sourcecode.html

    >
    > Kinda odd that "Windows 98" source code would be dated 2001 and include
    > this line, isn't it?
    >
    > printf("Welcome to Windows XP");
    >
    > And that the title of the page (not the HTML title element; the title in
    > the body) would say "Der Microsoft Windows XP Quellcode". :)


    I've just got ReactOS running on Qemu on my Linux system. I haven't
    actually got it to do anything useful, but it does run and let me play
    'Solitaire' and log off. Not bad for an 'alpha' product on version 0.3 -
    I can remember when the official release of Windows, the one you had to
    pay a lot of money for, couldn't always manage that.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    -- ~~~~~~~~~~
     
    Whiskers, Sep 19, 2006
    #7
  8. elaich

    AnonyMouse Guest

    Sybil wrote:
    > AnonyMouse wrote:
    >> elaich wrote:
    >>> http://www.luftpiraten.de/w98sourcecode.html

    >>
    >> LOL, obviously a joke.

    >
    > Nooooooooooooooo...


    search_and_destroy_the_rest_of_OS/2();
    totally_screw_up_HPFS_file_system();
    make_futile_attempt_to_damage_Linux();
    disable_Netscape();
    hang_system();

    This is not real program code. These guys are trying to make a point,
    not to post released Win 98 source code. And if MS was going to release
    any code, they'd do 3.11 and 95 before they do 98.
     
    AnonyMouse, Sep 20, 2006
    #8
  9. elaich

    AnonyMouse Guest

    AnonyMouse wrote:
    > Sybil wrote:
    >> AnonyMouse wrote:
    >>> elaich wrote:
    >>>> http://www.luftpiraten.de/w98sourcecode.html
    >>>
    >>> LOL, obviously a joke.

    >>
    >> Nooooooooooooooo...

    >
    > search_and_destroy_the_rest_of_OS/2();
    > totally_screw_up_HPFS_file_system();
    > make_futile_attempt_to_damage_Linux();
    > disable_Netscape();
    > hang_system();
    >
    > This is not real program code. These guys are trying to make a point,
    > not to post released Win 98 source code. And if MS was going to release
    > any code, they'd do 3.11 and 95 before they do 98.


    And it looks even more like a joke when you read the introduction in
    English, thanks to the babel.altavista.com translator:

    The server of the companies was already often Microsoft a goal of
    substantial hacker attacks. For the first time succeeded in now stealing
    the source code of the wide-spread operating system Windows XP. Hackers
    placed the code in co-operation with the American Ministry of Justice
    immediately in the net. Smashing the Redmonder software giant is to be
    accelerated in such a way. In the glaring contrast to the finished
    compiled operating system monster, is noticeable the extremely compact
    code written in C++. It is now possible for each halfway experienced
    programmer to adapt the source code optimally to its needs. Microsoft
    considers at present publishing the source code or placing the operating
    system under the GNU Public Licence. This would concern also Windows ®
    98, ME, NT and 2000, since the source code is identical to 97%. And here
    now the code for all amateur handicraftsmen; -)


    So..."extremely compact code"? No operating system can have only one
    page of code. However, a short sendup can. :)
     
    AnonyMouse, Sep 20, 2006
    #9
  10. elaich

    AnonyMouse Guest

    Whiskers wrote:
    > On 2006-09-19, Blinky the Shark <> wrote:
    >> elaich wrote:
    >>> http://www.luftpiraten.de/w98sourcecode.html

    >> Kinda odd that "Windows 98" source code would be dated 2001 and include
    >> this line, isn't it?
    >>
    >> printf("Welcome to Windows XP");
    >>
    >> And that the title of the page (not the HTML title element; the title in
    >> the body) would say "Der Microsoft Windows XP Quellcode". :)

    >
    > I've just got ReactOS running on Qemu on my Linux system. I haven't
    > actually got it to do anything useful, but it does run and let me play
    > 'Solitaire' and log off. Not bad for an 'alpha' product on version 0.3 -
    > I can remember when the official release of Windows, the one you had to
    > pay a lot of money for, couldn't always manage that.
    >


    What's ReactOS?

    And about the solitaire: too true. A relative of mine has a Windows 98
    SE computer that, whenever Solitaire is opened, gives an error message
    and closes out Solitaire. I tried deleting the sol.exe file and
    replacing it with a copy of the same file from a 98SE laptop that I have
    that can run Solitaire just fine. Eventually I just installed a Java
    version of solitaire for the relative--it was better than nothing, but
    it still wasn't that great. Eventually my previously solitaire-loving
    relative gave up and moved on to Web Sudoku and online crosswords. :)
     
    AnonyMouse, Sep 20, 2006
    #10
  11. elaich

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-09-20, AnonyMouse <""> wrote:
    > Whiskers wrote:
    >> On 2006-09-19, Blinky the Shark <> wrote:
    >>> elaich wrote:
    >>>> http://www.luftpiraten.de/w98sourcecode.html
    >>> Kinda odd that "Windows 98" source code would be dated 2001 and include
    >>> this line, isn't it?
    >>>
    >>> printf("Welcome to Windows XP");
    >>>
    >>> And that the title of the page (not the HTML title element; the title in
    >>> the body) would say "Der Microsoft Windows XP Quellcode". :)

    >>
    >> I've just got ReactOS running on Qemu on my Linux system. I haven't
    >> actually got it to do anything useful, but it does run and let me play
    >> 'Solitaire' and log off. Not bad for an 'alpha' product on version 0.3 -
    >> I can remember when the official release of Windows, the one you had to
    >> pay a lot of money for, couldn't always manage that.
    >>

    >
    > What's ReactOS?


    Try a web search ;))

    snip

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    -- ~~~~~~~~~~
     
    Whiskers, Sep 20, 2006
    #11
  12. elaich

    Sybil Guest

    Sybil wrote:
    > AnonyMouse wrote:
    >> elaich wrote:
    >>> http://www.luftpiraten.de/w98sourcecode.html

    >>
    >> LOL, obviously a joke.

    >
    > Nooooooooooooooo...


    Honey you may have tech-smarts but No "Street Smarts"/Common Sense...

    My "Nooooooooooooo...."

    was me being saying "No-Duh" ;)
     
    Sybil, Sep 21, 2006
    #12
  13. elaich

    elaich Guest

    Sybil <> wrote in
    news:ZkoQg.1635$-nyc.rr.com:

    > Honey you may have tech-smarts but No "Street Smarts"/Common Sense...
    >
    > My "Nooooooooooooo...."
    >
    > was me being saying "No-Duh" ;)


    To say nothing of a sense of humour. I was surprised at how few people in
    here detected the joke.
     
    elaich, Sep 21, 2006
    #13
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. ar
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    645
  2. Beachcomber

    Windows XP Service Pack 2 Released - Report

    Beachcomber, Sep 2, 2004, in forum: Computer Information
    Replies:
    13
    Views:
    548
    jeremy
    Sep 5, 2004
  3. Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

    Windows "Monad" Shell Beta 2 for x64 released

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Oct 30, 2005, in forum: Windows 64bit
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    452
    Andre Da Costa [Extended64]
    Oct 30, 2005
  4. LDJ
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,030
  5. Aaron Kelley

    Windows Defender Released

    Aaron Kelley, Oct 24, 2006, in forum: Windows 64bit
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    347
    Aaron Kelley
    Oct 25, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page