    manually.

    Any knows whats going wrong.

    Harry

    Harry, Nov 14, 2003

  2. Harry

    SoCal Tom Guest

    "Harry" wrote >
    I have
    > to switch the computer and monitor
    > manually.

    Sometimes, in rare cases, a corrupt wav file (Start>Control Panel>Sounds)
    will stop the shutdown process. In the "Sounds" menu, uncheck the "Windows
    Shutdown" file and select "none." It won't hurt to try, and it has worked
    for me.
    --
    SoCal Tom

    SoCal Tom, Nov 14, 2003

  3. Harry

    Boomer Guest

    "Harry" <> wrote in

    > Hi,
    >
    > When I shut down Windows 98 normally
    > it shuts down automatically and switches off
    > the computer. However, recently, after I
    > click on the shut down, the usual blue
    > MS Microsoft screen appears with a
    > message at the bottom sayin "Windows is
    > shutting down". Yet it does not. So I have
    > to switch the computer and monitor
    > manually.
    >
    > Any knows whats going wrong.
    >
    > Harry

    Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 238096
    "Problems Shutting Down Windows 98 Second Edition"
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft
    ..com:80/support/kb/articles/q238/0/96.asp&NoWebContent=1&NoWebContent=1

    Or click: http://makeashorterlink.com/?X11052A86

    "How to Troubleshoot Windows 98 Shutdown Problems"

    More info:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-
    8&q=windows+98+shutdown+problems&btnG=Google+Search

    Boomer, Nov 14, 2003
  4. Harry

    °Mike° Guest

    Make sure that Advanced Power Management is installed,
    and enabled in the BIOS.

    Jim Eshelman's Windows Shutdown Troubleshooter
    http://aumha.org/win4/a/shutdown.htm

    On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 08:22:25 -0000, in
    <Kz0tb.52$>
    Harry scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Nov 14, 2003
  5. Harry

    Skyknight Guest

    On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 08:22:25 -0000, "Harry" <>
    wrote:

    Sounds like something is preventing your system from shutting down.

    Try disabling the shutdown sound and see if that works.

    Skyknight, Nov 15, 2003