Windows 98 Set-up

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?RW9z?=, Jan 14, 2005.

  1. I have recently Installed a Linksys Wireless-G ASDL (WAG54G) Gateway on my PC
    and successfully connected a second (Windows XP) PC using a Linksys USB
    Network adaptor.
    I have attemped to connect a third PC running Windows 98 using the same
    hardware without success.
    I would therefore appreciate any help or advice in setting up the USB
    network adaptor on the PC running Windows 98.
    At the moment I have gone into the control panel etc and the tab for
    selecting 'never dial a network connection' etc are greyed out and I do not
    get a wireless icon in the system tray etc.

    Any help is appreciated - Eos
     
    =?Utf-8?B?RW9z?=, Jan 14, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. =?Utf-8?B?RW9z?=

    Malke Guest

    Eos wrote:

    > I have recently Installed a Linksys Wireless-G ASDL (WAG54G) Gateway
    > on my PC and successfully connected a second (Windows XP) PC using a
    > Linksys USB Network adaptor.
    > I have attemped to connect a third PC running Windows 98 using the
    > same hardware without success.
    > I would therefore appreciate any help or advice in setting up the USB
    > network adaptor on the PC running Windows 98.
    > At the moment I have gone into the control panel etc and the tab for
    > selecting 'never dial a network connection' etc are greyed out and I
    > do not get a wireless icon in the system tray etc.
    >
    > Any help is appreciated - Eos


    Is this Win98 Second Edition or First? USB handling in First was iffy.
    Do you know if any USB devices work well on that computer?

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
     
    Malke, Jan 14, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. In response to your questions it is Windows 98 second edition and all USB
    devices work normally on the PC.

    Eos

    "Malke" wrote:

    > Eos wrote:
    >
    > > I have recently Installed a Linksys Wireless-G ASDL (WAG54G) Gateway
    > > on my PC and successfully connected a second (Windows XP) PC using a
    > > Linksys USB Network adaptor.
    > > I have attemped to connect a third PC running Windows 98 using the
    > > same hardware without success.
    > > I would therefore appreciate any help or advice in setting up the USB
    > > network adaptor on the PC running Windows 98.
    > > At the moment I have gone into the control panel etc and the tab for
    > > selecting 'never dial a network connection' etc are greyed out and I
    > > do not get a wireless icon in the system tray etc.
    > >
    > > Any help is appreciated - Eos

    >
    > Is this Win98 Second Edition or First? USB handling in First was iffy.
    > Do you know if any USB devices work well on that computer?
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic!"
    >
     
    =?Utf-8?B?RW9z?=, Jan 15, 2005
    #3
  4. =?Utf-8?B?RW9z?=

    Malke Guest

    Eos wrote:

    > In response to your questions it is Windows 98 second edition and all
    > USB devices work normally on the PC.
    >
    > Eos


    Original problem:
    >> Eos wrote:
    >>
    >> > I have recently Installed a Linksys Wireless-G ASDL (WAG54G)
    >> > Gateway on my PC and successfully connected a second (Windows XP)
    >> > PC using a Linksys USB Network adaptor.
    >> > I have attemped to connect a third PC running Windows 98 using the
    >> > same hardware without success.
    >> > I would therefore appreciate any help or advice in setting up the
    >> > USB network adaptor on the PC running Windows 98.
    >> > At the moment I have gone into the control panel etc and the tab
    >> > for selecting 'never dial a network connection' etc are greyed out
    >> > and I do not get a wireless icon in the system tray etc.


    Does the wireless device show up in Win98SE's Device Manager? Since
    Win98 doesn't have any native way of managing wireless, did you also
    install and configure the wireless connection management software that
    presumably came with the device?

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
     
    Malke, Jan 15, 2005
    #4
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. =?Utf-8?B?RW9z?=

    Linksys Adaptor - Windows 98 set-up

    =?Utf-8?B?RW9z?=, Feb 11, 2005, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    6,720
    nospam
    Feb 11, 2005
  2. =?Utf-8?B?S2F0aWUgU2tpYmluc2tp?=

    Column: Set up a secure wireless network using Windows Connect Now

    =?Utf-8?B?S2F0aWUgU2tpYmluc2tp?=, Jun 14, 2005, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    726
    Barb Bowman MVP-Windows
    Aug 15, 2005
  3. goonmunster
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    529
    egon.phillips
    Feb 12, 2005
  4. Bill
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    3,720
  5. Feck
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    532
Loading...

Share This Page