    screen that says something like "You need administrator privileges" No
    matter what I try. I cannot get in. Any suggestions?

    , Aug 19, 2006

  2. <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I know that windows 98 SE is no longer supported by Microsoft. But
    > since before that ended Microsoft has notified me that I must download
    > critical updates. Every time I try to access the download, I get a
    > screen that says something like "You need administrator privileges" No
    > matter what I try. I cannot get in. Any suggestions?

    Are you sure you're logged in as an administrator?

    Douglas C. Neidermeyer, Aug 19, 2006

  3. Ron Martell Guest

    wrote:

    >I know that windows 98 SE is no longer supported by Microsoft. But
    >since before that ended Microsoft has notified me that I must download
    >critical updates. Every time I try to access the download, I get a
    >screen that says something like "You need administrator privileges" No
    >matter what I try. I cannot get in. Any suggestions?

    There is not such thing as "administrator privileges" in Windows 98.

    What firewall/antivirus/antispyware software are you running?

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    has never been in bed with a mosquito."

    Ron Martell, Aug 19, 2006
  4. Plato Guest

    wrote:

    > I know that windows 98 SE is no longer supported by Microsoft. But

    You may want to tell MS tech support that they are in error, as many of
    my links point to MS win95/98 support pages.

    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Aug 20, 2006
  5. thanatoid Guest

    Plato <|@|.|> wrote in

    > wrote:
    >>
    >> I know that windows 98 SE is no longer supported by
    >> Microsoft. But

    > You may want to tell MS tech support that they are in
    > error, as many of my links point to MS win95/98 support
    > pages.

    You should be a comedian.

    thanatoid, Aug 20, 2006
  6. thanatoid Guest

    wrote in

    > I know that windows 98 SE is no longer supported by
    > Microsoft. But since before that ended Microsoft has
    > notified me that I must download critical updates. Every
    > time I try to access the download, I get a screen that says
    > something like "You need administrator privileges" No
    > matter what I try. I cannot get in. Any suggestions?

    I seem to recall answering the exact same question about a week
    ago.
    If it WAS you, why didn't you listen the first time? If not,
    "never mind".

    1. There are NO administrators in 98SE.

    2. You don't NEED any updates, that's the beauty of using a
    well-field-tested system (it takes about 5 years with a
    Microsoft OS you know). People who will buy Vista (aside from
    those trapped in corporate) are insane.

    3. 2 is true if you don't use IE/OE (which needless to say you
    shouldn't), and have a nice firewall. I suggest the free Agnitum
    Outpost ver 1.0.242, it's 5 years old (works perfectly well,
    again, no need for any updates) and some basic non-resource
    hogging anti-virus which doesn't necessarily needs to run all
    the time depending on just how messy your surfing habits are.

    Regards
    t.

    thanatoid, Aug 20, 2006
  7. Toolman Tim Guest

    thanatoid wrote:
    > Plato <|@|.|> wrote in
    >
    >> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I know that windows 98 SE is no longer supported by
    >>> Microsoft. But

    >> You may want to tell MS tech support that they are in
    >> error, as many of my links point to MS win95/98 support
    >> pages.

    > You should be a comedian.

    So you've been reading Plato's drivel again, eh? <g>

    Toolman Tim, Aug 20, 2006
  8. Guest Guest

    Re: Windows 98 SE update = Margo-Lotta-Issues

    "Margolotta" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 22:32:21 +0100, Douglas C. Neidermeyer wrote
    > (in article <>):

    <jackass snipe snipped>

    With every post you make you keep proving what a complete assWHOLE you are.
    Amusing in a sadly pathetic way.

    Guest, Aug 20, 2006