    another way of shutting down processes in Windows 98? Thanks.
    P.S. I can't try it for her, as she lives out of state.

    , Nov 19, 2006

  2. Mike Easter Guest

    wrote:
    > My Daughter is having trouble on her Windows 98 SE based machine.
    > Apparently AOL is causing her problems (Yeah, amazing, huh?)

    AOL's proprietary interface is notorious for messing with the sockets --
    and often leaves things a little messed up even when the AOL front end
    is uninstalled.

    > Anyway,
    > she tells me that after running AOL, she can't launch any other
    > internet browser, unless she reboots the machine and doesn't use AOL
    > before launching another browser. I'm thinking AOL isn't completely
    > closing down.

    You are likely correct.

    > I know that with Windows XP on my machine, I can do a
    > ctrl-alt-del, go to the processes tab and find any AOL things running
    > and shut them down. But I can't remember if Windows 98 has the same
    > feature, as it's been a couple of years since I used it.

    Control-alt-delete is not only popular on the win systems including
    W98se & XP, but many linuxers like that feature as well.

    >Would this
    > work for her, or is there another way of shutting down processes in
    > Windows 98?

    That's a good place to start with this troubleshooting.

    AOL doesn't have its news anymore, so AOL tells the AOL/ers who want to
    access newsgroups to use google. You could steer her toward using
    googlegroups to access 24hshd herself -- later she can learn how to
    access a free newsserver.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Nov 19, 2006

  3. Guest

    wrote:

    >My Daughter is having trouble on her Windows 98 SE based machine. Apparently AOL
    >is causing her problems (Yeah, amazing, huh?) Anyway, she tells me that after
    >running AOL, she can't launch any other internet browser, unless she reboots the
    >machine and doesn't use AOL before launching another browser. I'm thinking AOL
    >isn't completely closing down. I know that with Windows XP on my machine, I can
    >do a ctrl-alt-del, go to the processes tab and find any AOL things running and
    >shut them down. But I can't remember if Windows 98 has the same feature, as it's
    >been a couple of years since I used it. Would this work for her, or is there
    >another way of shutting down processes in Windows 98? Thanks.
    >P.S. I can't try it for her, as she lives out of state.

    You can run Process Explorer, it's like the taskmanager
    http://tinyurl.com/sjzno it's very limited under Win98 but you can
    kill process's with it.

    --
    What caused the accident?
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=A6YxmOnIfbQ

    , Nov 19, 2006
  4. Guest

    On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 14:00:13 -0500, wrote:

    >My Daughter is having trouble on her Windows 98 SE based machine. Apparently AOL
    >is causing her problems (Yeah, amazing, huh?) Anyway, she tells me that after
    >running AOL, she can't launch any other internet browser, unless she reboots the
    >machine and doesn't use AOL before launching another browser. I'm thinking AOL
    >isn't completely closing down. I know that with Windows XP on my machine, I can
    >do a ctrl-alt-del, go to the processes tab and find any AOL things running and
    >shut them down. But I can't remember if Windows 98 has the same feature, as it's
    >been a couple of years since I used it. Would this work for her, or is there
    >another way of shutting down processes in Windows 98? Thanks.
    >P.S. I can't try it for her, as she lives out of state.

    My bad. I forgot she had to install Windows 2000 on a new drive so they could
    use iTunes last year, so I was wrong with the Windows 98 thing. I installed that
    when I built the machine for her, but she's since installed 2000. So, back to my
    original, but now modified question, does ctrl-alt-del bring up a screen on 2000
    to shut down processes? Thanks again and sorry for the mixup.

    , Nov 19, 2006
  5. Guest

    wrote:

    >On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 14:00:13 -0500, wrote:
    >
    >>My Daughter is having trouble on her Windows 98 SE based machine. Apparently AOL
    >>is causing her problems (Yeah, amazing, huh?) Anyway, she tells me that after
    >>running AOL, she can't launch any other internet browser, unless she reboots the
    >>machine and doesn't use AOL before launching another browser. I'm thinking AOL
    >>isn't completely closing down. I know that with Windows XP on my machine, I can
    >>do a ctrl-alt-del, go to the processes tab and find any AOL things running and
    >>shut them down. But I can't remember if Windows 98 has the same feature, as it's
    >>been a couple of years since I used it. Would this work for her, or is there
    >>another way of shutting down processes in Windows 98? Thanks.
    >>P.S. I can't try it for her, as she lives out of state.

    >My bad. I forgot she had to install Windows 2000 on a new drive so they could
    >use iTunes last year, so I was wrong with the Windows 98 thing. I installed that
    >when I built the machine for her, but she's since installed 2000. So, back to my
    >original, but now modified question, does ctrl-alt-del bring up a screen on 2000
    >to shut down processes? Thanks again and sorry for the mixup.

    Yes, or right click the taskbar - Process Explorer works great better
    under W2K.

  6. Barry OGrady Guest

    On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 14:00:13 -0500, wrote:

    >My Daughter is having trouble on her Windows 98 SE based machine. Apparently AOL
    >is causing her problems (Yeah, amazing, huh?) Anyway, she tells me that after
    >running AOL, she can't launch any other internet browser, unless she reboots the
    >machine and doesn't use AOL before launching another browser. I'm thinking AOL
    >isn't completely closing down. I know that with Windows XP on my machine, I can
    >do a ctrl-alt-del, go to the processes tab and find any AOL things running and
    >shut them down. But I can't remember if Windows 98 has the same feature, as it's
    >been a couple of years since I used it. Would this work for her, or is there
    >another way of shutting down processes in Windows 98? Thanks.
    >P.S. I can't try it for her, as she lives out of state.

    Do a complete reinstall without any AOL software, and use a real ISP.

    Barry
    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

    Barry OGrady, Nov 20, 2006
  7. posted this esurient inquiry in

    > My Daughter is having trouble on her Windows 98 SE based machine.
    > Apparently AOL is causing her problems (Yeah, amazing, huh?) Anyway, she
    > tells me that after running AOL, she can't launch any other internet
    > browser, unless she reboots the machine and doesn't use AOL before
    > launching another browser. I'm thinking AOL isn't completely closing
    > down. I know that with Windows XP on my machine, I can do a
    > ctrl-alt-del, go to the processes tab and find any AOL things running
    > and shut them down. But I can't remember if Windows 98 has the same
    > feature, as it's been a couple of years since I used it. Would this work
    > for her, or is there another way of shutting down processes in Windows
    > 98? Thanks. P.S. I can't try it for her, as she lives out of state.

    Howdy Wrangler!

    "Barry OGrady" posted this esurient inquiry in

    > Do a complete reinstall without any AOL software, and use a real ISP.
    >
    > Barry
    > =====
    > Home page
    > http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

    A neighbor of mine who attends Baylor and lets his roomies and frat bros
    borrow his 'puter as a matter common practice in that environment else ye be
    ostrasized as stingy, etc...

    That's where I went when he asked me for help "because my computer is so slow
    now." I concur with completely wiping, format, reinstall, udate, AV, BW and
    net Monitor, and Security essentils, almost all freeware, (good leads from
    news:alt.comp.freeware ) installed and teach to use IE and news client and
    possibly even IRC (using mIRC). Cheaper & safer dial-up access and a lot less
    problems.

    Best regards.

    --

    If you're out hiking and your friend gets bitten by a poisonous snake,
    tell him you're going to go for help! Then go about 10 feet, out of sight,

    A lot of guys will just start crying, "... but I don't want to die now."
    That's why it makes you feel good when you tell them it was only a joke -
    but he's still always going to be the big sissy cry-baby to everybody else.

    Bucky Breeder, Nov 20, 2006