  1. effi

    effi Guest

    is there an easy fix?
    effi, Jan 12, 2005

  2. effi

    Guest

    effi wrote:
    > is there an easy fix?

    Win98SE does recognise USB ports. It's Win95 wasn't designed to
    recognise USB ports. Win98SE recognises them, but the motherboard may
    require special usb drivers to be installed.

    Thus the 'fix' is perhaps to install the usb drivers for your
    motherboard. I've noticed that motherboards with a VIA chipset seem to
    need(and come with) USB drivers(at least in win98), otherwise USB ports
    won't be accessible. I don't know if motherboards with other chipsets
    have that problem.

    It can't be a win98 problem though. Most likely a driver problem.
    Could be that usb is disabled in the bios.

    If that doesn't work, then , if you want to test whether usb is
    recognised, i suggest doing so with a USB device other than keyboard
    and mouse. Older computers have issues with USB keyboards and mice. I
    doubt that your computer is old enough to have that problem though.
    Though it's easy to plug in a printer or other non-keyb-non-mouse
    device and see if a box comes up appreciating that you plugged a usb
    device in.
    , Jan 12, 2005

  3. effi

    Thor Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > effi wrote:
    >> is there an easy fix?

    > Win98SE does recognise USB ports. It's Win95 wasn't designed to
    > recognise USB ports. Win98SE recognises them, but the motherboard may
    > require special usb drivers to be installed.
    >
    > Thus the 'fix' is perhaps to install the usb drivers for your
    > motherboard. I've noticed that motherboards with a VIA chipset seem to
    > need(and come with) USB drivers(at least in win98), otherwise USB ports
    > won't be accessible. I don't know if motherboards with other chipsets
    > have that problem.

    VIA chipsets are supported in Win98 including the USB ports, and the USB is
    generally functional. It's just that VIA has such a terrible USB
    implementation in their chipsets that they usually require USB filter
    drivers to operate properly with many USB devices. It's really hit or miss.
    For motherboards with chipsets that are much newer than Win98SE, then of
    course an updated chipset driver (VIA 4-in-1 Hyperion) would be logical,
    just like any other newer chipset would need drivers for Win98 to properly
    recognize it. Microsoft doesn't write the VIA drivers that they bundle with
    Win98, VIA did. MS merely tested and approved them for inclusion at the time
    Win98 was released. VIA has had to release subsequent filter drivers and
    chipset drivers to help fix problems inherent in their USB implementations.
    Thor, Jan 12, 2005
  4. effi

    E Willson Guest

    I suggest you go to the Microsoft website and get the upgrades for W98. One
    of them supports USB ports.

    HTH,
    Ernie

    E Willson, Jan 12, 2005